Profile

Who: Kimball Corson. Text and Photos not disclaimed or that are obviously not mine are copyright (c) Kimball Corson 2004-2016
Port: Lake Pleasant, AZ
09 April 2018 | Pago Pago, American Samoa
10 March 2018 | Pago Pago, American Samoa
10 March 2018 | Pago Pago, American Samoa
22 August 2017 | Pago Pago, American Samoa
22 August 2017 | Pago Pago, American Samoa
22 August 2017 | Pago Pago, American Samoa
22 August 2017 | Pago Pago, American Samoa
22 August 2017 | Pago Pago, American Samoa
22 August 2017 | Pago Pago, American Samoa
22 August 2017 | Pago Pago, American Samoa
22 August 2017 | Pago Pago, American Samoa
09 August 2017 | Pago Pago, American Samoa

How the Rich Take from the Poor

05 May 2015 | Pago Pago, American Samoa
Kimball Corson
There is the notion among the rich that they are wholly self made and so everything that lands in their hands is theirs, forever and ever. This premise is patently false. The rich take from the poor, their parents and anyone else they can get from. Getting is their principal business.

If the earth were suddenly laid barren of all they do not hold title to, how could they continue to get their riches or use their existing riches? They couldn't. There would be no roads, no fire protection, no police protection, no employees, publicly educated or not, no markets -- nothing. In effect, they would lose everything they need to make more money and what they have would be lost and useless.They refuse to recognize this interdependence and its value.

Roads, infrastructure, public education, police and fire protection have all been paid for by the middle class for the most part. (That they are now less able to do so because of their new relative poverty imposed on them is why our infrastructure is in such shambles). The rich would have nothing but useless paper. The rich have a huge debt to the middle class they refuse to recognize and now they want to cut taxes on themselves in disavowal of this debt and out of greed.

But it is worse than that, much worse. They have used the aggregate Federal Tax Code to effect further net transfers from the middle class to themselves in large quantities. Our pretax income distribution is bad enough, but after taxes, subsidies and transfers, our income distribution is much worse, indeed, the worst in the civilized world. Subsidies to the rich -- in the form of direct subsidies (to oil, to agriculture and to many other businesses in many forms), monopolistic advantages, special exclusive privileges, exclusive rights and advantages and the like are through the roof and worth trillions. Just direct subsidies massively dwarf all public welfare to the poor and much else. We simply don't hear about this problem 1) because Republican rhetoric flies so strongly in the oppose direction to distract, 2) because no one looks at the numbers, and 3) because too few are capable of understanding.

Another huge set of transfers from the middle class to the rich are 1) the gift by the government to them of the banking franchise without charge or fee. This isn't included in the Tax Code transfers. This privilege set is humongous and as big as the profits of our entire banking system. There is no reason it cannot be charged for, to reimburse the middle class. The same is true of 2) the gift of the airways and frequency spectrum for all radio, TV and commercial uses. Gifts all to the rich and wealthy with no charge or reimburse to to the middle class worth peanuts. Again, the dollars involved here are through the roof. These two alone are in the trillions.

Then of course there is the Fed which works hard to depress interest rates and push the value of assets held by the rich up much higher to make them yet richer, but this isn't a transfer from the middle class. It is simply another way the government helps the rich but not the middle class and poor. It is truly a government of the rich, for the rich and by the rich. America is been left out of the shuffle.

This is a seriously stacked deck where the government aids the rich mostly at the expense of the middle class and poor. Again, only ignorance keeps us from understanding these matters. It is the modern day gift of the commons to the rich all over again, at the expense of everyone else. And we are surprised the distribution of income is skewing to the point of destroying our economy for want of aggregate demand and from excessive hoarding. How stupid can we get?

The middle class has been fucked by the federal government.working in collusion with the rich, and those in the middle class are now seriously hurting for it along with the economy. The mega bucks spent by the rich on lobbyists are not for nothing. And yet there are still those with blinders on who claim they are self made rich and all they can lay hands on is theirs forever and ever. A real Alice in Wonderland fantasy we let them indulge in.
Comments
Vessel Name: Altaira
Vessel Make/Model: A Fair Weather Mariner 39 is a fast (PHRF 132), heavily ballasted (43%), high-aspect (6:1), stiff, comfortable, offshore performance cruiser by Bob Perry that goes to wind well (30 deg w/ good headway) and is also good up and down the Beaufort scale.
Hailing Port: Lake Pleasant, AZ
Crew: Kimball Corson. Text and Photos not disclaimed or that are obviously not mine are copyright (c) Kimball Corson 2004-2016
About:
Kimball Corson: I am a 75 year old solo sailor, by choice. However, I did take on a personable, but high maintenance female kitten, now a full grown cat, named KiKiPoo when she is sweet, or KatKatPo after she has just killed something like a bird or bat. [...]
Extra:
Although I was a lawyer and practiced law with good success for thirty years, creating significant new law, I never really believed in the law, the politics of law or in the over reaching self-interest of most lawyers I met. Too much exposure to Nietzsche and other good and seriously thoughtful [...]
Altaira's Photos - Main
No items in this gallery.

Profile

Who: Kimball Corson. Text and Photos not disclaimed or that are obviously not mine are copyright (c) Kimball Corson 2004-2016
Port: Lake Pleasant, AZ