Profile

Who: Kimball Corson. Text and Photos not disclaimed or that are obviously not mine are copyright (c) Kimball Corson 2004-2016
Port: Lake Pleasant, AZ
09 April 2018 | Pago Pago, American Samoa
10 March 2018 | Pago Pago, American Samoa
10 March 2018 | Pago Pago, American Samoa
22 August 2017 | Pago Pago, American Samoa
22 August 2017 | Pago Pago, American Samoa
22 August 2017 | Pago Pago, American Samoa
22 August 2017 | Pago Pago, American Samoa
22 August 2017 | Pago Pago, American Samoa
22 August 2017 | Pago Pago, American Samoa
22 August 2017 | Pago Pago, American Samoa
22 August 2017 | Pago Pago, American Samoa
09 August 2017 | Pago Pago, American Samoa

Claims of Voter Fraud and Republican Fraud on Voters

26 January 2016 | Pago Pago, American Samoa
Kimball Corson
This nicely sums up the informed consensus on voter fraud (from Forbes Magazine, Justice Department data and other sources):

Large-scale voter fraud is virtually non-existent today. Random examples do not color or alter electoral results. The Justice Department has found this to be true repeatedly. Yet the efforts to root it out of some states recall the horrid Jim Crow era. The former "party of Lincoln" has been most active in this fraudulent crusade. It has mostly prevented qualified people of color and older folks from voting. The problem is not voter fraud altering elections. It is republican efforts to block qualified voters that is the problem that tends more to alter elections. Here is an example.

Shades of 2000 and 2004 when somehow voting machines weren't delivered to African-American precincts in Ohio and Florida or unforeseen glitches prevented their ballots from counting. It's not that the disenfranchised voters weren't properly registered -- by and large they were. But a systematic campaign to keep them from voting was in place. It's been documented by several news organizations, most notably the Miami Herald.

One of the best studies on the subject was conducted by Justin Levitt of the New York University Law School. Its conclusion is simple: allegations of widespread voter fraud are greatly exaggerated.

"Many of the claims of voter fraud amount to a great deal of smoke without much fire...Most allegations of fraud turn out to be baseless--and that of the few allegations remaining, most reveal election irregularities and other forms of election misconduct, rather than fraud by individual voters. The type of individual voter fraud supposedly targeted by recent legislative efforts--especially efforts to require certain forms of voter ID--simply does not exist."

The creation and propagation of the voter fraud myth, which has gained huge currency in the GOP over the past decade, has been championed by Hans von Spakovsky, a lawyer who is also a fellow at the conservative Heritage Foundation. He was recently profiled by Jane Mayer in a New Yorker piece. His work has spawned numerous new rules in states like Florida and Ohio that not only promote strict voter ID laws, but end up restricting voting in minority-dominated areas. Many of these restrictions are likely violations of the Voting Rights Act, a landmark law that Lyndon Johnson signed in 1965 to end the Jim Crow era, well, until democracy foes like Spakovsky came on the scene.

This wasn't always true. Countless registered voters were found only in graveyards and perhaps aided in the election of John F. Kennedy in 1960 thanks to Richard J. Daley's political machine. He managed to put a lot of zombies in polling places -- even more than were in political office at the time. But those are times past.Now the Justice Department investigates claims of voter fraud and finds it is not a serious problem. But blocking qualified voters from voting is the problem now, according to Justice. Here is an example. Older voters get blocked from voting because they don't have the required drivers' licenses because they are to old to drive and have licenses. Very republican.The Justice Department has pending suits against several states for fraudulent and bogus voting restrictions.

Deceit and lies are much more the currency of republicans and conservatives these days. I say. There ought to be a law to check such evil.
Comments
Vessel Name: Altaira
Vessel Make/Model: A Fair Weather Mariner 39 is a fast (PHRF 132), heavily ballasted (43%), high-aspect (6:1), stiff, comfortable, offshore performance cruiser by Bob Perry that goes to wind well (30 deg w/ good headway) and is also good up and down the Beaufort scale.
Hailing Port: Lake Pleasant, AZ
Crew: Kimball Corson. Text and Photos not disclaimed or that are obviously not mine are copyright (c) Kimball Corson 2004-2016
About:
Kimball Corson: I am a 75 year old solo sailor, by choice. However, I did take on a personable, but high maintenance female kitten, now a full grown cat, named KiKiPoo when she is sweet, or KatKatPo after she has just killed something like a bird or bat. [...]
Extra:
Although I was a lawyer and practiced law with good success for thirty years, creating significant new law, I never really believed in the law, the politics of law or in the over reaching self-interest of most lawyers I met. Too much exposure to Nietzsche and other good and seriously thoughtful [...]
Altaira's Photos - Main
No items in this gallery.

Profile

Who: Kimball Corson. Text and Photos not disclaimed or that are obviously not mine are copyright (c) Kimball Corson 2004-2016
Port: Lake Pleasant, AZ