Profile

Who: Kimball Corson. Text and Photos not disclaimed or that are obviously not mine are copyright (c) Kimball Corson 2004-2016
Port: Lake Pleasant, AZ
09 April 2018 | Pago Pago, American Samoa
10 March 2018 | Pago Pago, American Samoa
10 March 2018 | Pago Pago, American Samoa
22 August 2017 | Pago Pago, American Samoa
22 August 2017 | Pago Pago, American Samoa
22 August 2017 | Pago Pago, American Samoa
22 August 2017 | Pago Pago, American Samoa
22 August 2017 | Pago Pago, American Samoa
22 August 2017 | Pago Pago, American Samoa
22 August 2017 | Pago Pago, American Samoa
22 August 2017 | Pago Pago, American Samoa
09 August 2017 | Pago Pago, American Samoa

On Happiness

22 June 2016 | Pago Pago, American Samoa
Kimball Corson
Happiness is a ruse. It is hyperbolic, over-sold and much on it is largely nonsense. A side track of Hollywood where sex, money and power are the emoluments. For starters, we have to spend about 65 percent of our time maintaining and moving our bodies about, by sleeping, eating, eliminating, bathing and other cleaning, transporting them to and from, dressing and undressing them, giving them medical care, etc. and most would concede this is not the business of happiness or even very satisfying. Happiness or what we make of it, has to be stuffed into the other 35 percent of our lives.

Sex, money and power are, at their very best, lubricants for improved satisfaction in life, a more targetable state of being than happiness. This is because happiness has the elusive quality of forever escaping its direct pursuit. It is more the by-product of the unplanned and unexpected and regrettably, very transitory. The nature of our lives makes it at best fleeting.

Sex we understand. It is one of the more pleasurable pursuits with our bodies but it can be overdone. The divorce rate and cheating indicate as much. Sex is actually a complicated endeavor requiring considerable collateral effort. Money buys us what we want, but we then often lack the time to enjoy those things. Body maintenance, moving us and work often leave only the weekend for interactive use of the "things" and "stuff" of life we enjoy but that seems too little as the French are demonstrating. Worse, stuff too requires care and maintenance, as every boat, horse and fancy car owner can testify. Power . . . well forget that. Power is the biggest maintenance nuisance of all. Good luck finding even superficial happiness with sex, money and power.

If happiness cannot be pursued directly and is elusive and fleeting, how can one target and proceeded with good sense? A comfortable and stable satisfaction with one's life, I submit, is the more sensible and achievable goal for one's existence. But how is that to be obtained, one might well ask. I have some thoughts there. First, keep vexatious and anxious people out of your life. Seek out people who are good, intelligent and interesting. This is a key and important rule, even if those avoided include some family members. Life is too short and there are other people whose company and companionship can be better mutually enjoyed.

Second, live in a location where you like the climate and general environment. For me, the tropics are best. I don't have to fuss with taking on and off excessive wraps and clothing, the rain is warm and the physical environment is typically beautiful, as some of my posted photographs indicate.

Third, it is important to know yourself reasonably well in order to understand what you really like and don't like and in what measures. Then you can go about thinking of how to add those elements, people and activities you enjoy to your life and in what measure. Avoid like the plague those things and people you don't like.

Fourth, the courage to make changes is essential. Being gravity fed by circumstances is anathema. It cuts the whole effort short.Choices are de facto circumscribed. Default ensues. Goals fail and the whole effort does down the tubes.

A good education and the ability to read well are great aids to the pursuit of a satisfying and enjoyable life. They expand horizons, inform you about yourself and help you decide what to include and exclude in that part of your life that is free. You must also choose to do work that you enjoy, for a large part of your life is spent working. You should prepare well for work you enjoy. Thoughtlessness here hurts. Satisfying and rewarding work is very key. Avoid mistakes here.

Living well, that is, an enjoyable and satisfactory life is all about the choices we make and understanding well their consequences so that unintended consequences do not spoil your efforts. It is usually about pursuing things and the company of the people you enjoy all in good and proper measure. Balance and perspective are important. So is dying without significant regrets over matters you could have handled differently. As far as we know for sure, we only get one go at a life on the planet earth. We very much need to be good captains of our souls and capable masters of our own destinies.
Comments
Vessel Name: Altaira
Vessel Make/Model: A Fair Weather Mariner 39 is a fast (PHRF 132), heavily ballasted (43%), high-aspect (6:1), stiff, comfortable, offshore performance cruiser by Bob Perry that goes to wind well (30 deg w/ good headway) and is also good up and down the Beaufort scale.
Hailing Port: Lake Pleasant, AZ
Crew: Kimball Corson. Text and Photos not disclaimed or that are obviously not mine are copyright (c) Kimball Corson 2004-2016
About:
Kimball Corson: I am a 75 year old solo sailor, by choice. However, I did take on a personable, but high maintenance female kitten, now a full grown cat, named KiKiPoo when she is sweet, or KatKatPo after she has just killed something like a bird or bat. [...]
Extra:
Although I was a lawyer and practiced law with good success for thirty years, creating significant new law, I never really believed in the law, the politics of law or in the over reaching self-interest of most lawyers I met. Too much exposure to Nietzsche and other good and seriously thoughtful [...]
Altaira's Photos - Main
No items in this gallery.

Profile

Who: Kimball Corson. Text and Photos not disclaimed or that are obviously not mine are copyright (c) Kimball Corson 2004-2016
Port: Lake Pleasant, AZ