Threshold is headed south, a long way south.

16 years Karyn and I have been sailing Threshold in circles around the North Atlantic and the Med. This year, after a couple of zigs and zags, it will be mostly a straight line south toward the Beagle Channel.

22 March 2019 | Quinched Marina, Isla Chiloe
08 March 2019 | Caleta Lay
27 February 2019 | Canal White
19 February 2019 | Straits of Magellan
16 February 2019 | Straits of Magellan
06 February 2019 | Caleta Cinco Estrellas
29 January 2019 | Ushuaia, Argentina
22 January 2019 | Caleta Euginio
15 January 2019 | Seno Pia
14 January 2019 | Caleta Ferrari, 545 51S: 68 49W
20 November 2018
29 October 2018
19 October 2018
17 October 2018
11 October 2018
08 October 2018
07 October 2018 | 300nm East of Brazil coast, Belmonte
05 October 2018
02 October 2018

The Real World?

14 June 2012 | Sami, Cephalonia
windy
I4 Jun 2012
Sami, Kefalonia
The Real World?
Karyn and I know we are living an unreal life in at the center of a “world in financial pain”. I am going to skip over some of the really great cruising, harbors, sailing, friends, hikes, and sites we have had during the last month we have been afloat. I hope to get back to it shortly because the Ionian Islands of Greece are wonderful. But, the adventure d’jour is centered in Athens.
Athens is by far the largest population center of Greece. How Athens votes Sunday in the second stage of the national elections is the way that Greece will go. Will it be “accept the commitments of austerity and financial reform” that previous governments have negotiatiated and thereby stay within the Euro system? Or, will it be “reject those former governments, bring in a new government, risk exiting the Euro putting the existence of the EU in jeopardy”. What happens in Athens will have a huge impact on the people we have met here in the Ionian and they have no control at all.
Out here at the edge of Greece tourism is the industry. There is some agriculture in the form of olives, olive oil, grapes/wine, and small garden farms. There are no other exports, just self sufficient agriculture (almost) and tourists. What is here is not even well done, exploited well. It is all very “laid back” and attractive from a tourists point of view. A local business man would say it is all badly managed and corrupt, if he cared and if he wasn’t imbedded in the corrupt way of providing his livelihood.
One taverna owner, Yanni, is the mayor of Stavros, a small village at a crossroads in northern Ithica. He doesn’t know which way the vote will go. He was apathetic as his concern was that his party had already lost and now he would not have any money from Athens/EU to help run his village. Of course there was no tax money to run the village as no one pays their taxes. He was positively from the old school. Very friendly, light hearted, running the family business and concerned….but not worried!
A relatively young man, Mikus, was running a chandlery with his brother. He spoke fine English, was knowledgeable and helpful. He, like almost all Greeks we met, had a ready smile and was anxious to enter into conversation about the topic of the day: the elections. As we walk the streets past the tavernas, tavernas are everywhere, there is always a TV on. If it is not a ‘football’ match on then it is a Greek in a suit making a speech. I am certain it is a politician making a speech. Mikus doesn’t know who will win. It is too close to call. He is worried because business is so bad with many tourists staying away because of the bad news out of Athens. He also doesn’t care which way it goes. He believes that whatever the choice it will be bad(or worse) for a while but then it will get better. “Maybe it is better to have the Drachma back” then we can default, get it over with, and go on the way we have always gone on.
A 40ish woman running a tourist shop was born here in Sami, Cephalonia. Then she was raised in Australia and speaks Australian very well. She now lives here in her home town and has been elected to some position that I don’t understand but gives her the ability to get into the mayor face over whatever issue she has. And, does she have some issues. Most of what she wanted to do was get this place up to speed and productive. She had some “right ideas” in my mind but she is really bucking the old system. She is a strong willed, outspoken, not yet powerful woman who also does not know which way the election will go. She is a member of the communist party.
So out here on the edge of Greece everyone knows the eyes of the world are upon them. They are aware of the potential import of the election but feel that they are so small as to not make a difference. That is the same as it always has been. The power is in Athens within a few families. Here the sun will shine, the wind will blow, the tourists will come whether with Euros or drachmas they don’t know. The shop keepers only hope that more tourists come to enjoy this laid back, unorganized, happy place.
Comments
Vessel Name: THRESHOLD
Vessel Make/Model: Custom Chuck Paine/Kanter Yachts
Hailing Port: ALBUQUERQUE, needs to be updated
Crew: Steve and Karyn James
About:
Extra:
THRESHOLD is a custom Chuck Paine design from his Bouganvillea Series and built of aluminum by Kanter Yachts of Ontario, Canada. She is 17m LOA, 4.7m beam, 2.2m draft, 22m air draft, and weighs 27 tons fully loaded. We feel very fortunate to be able to own and cruise such a rugged, powerful, and [...]
THRESHOLD's Photos - Main
Just a few photos that hardly come close to describing 29 days and 4000 miles of sailing.
27 Photos
Created 3 November 2018
photos of apt., Didim, boat work, travels
28 Photos
Created 24 December 2013
5 Photos
Created 15 September 2013
Karyn and Steve at there work stations. Some of the "parts" that have come off the boat needing "help", and the bimini frame construction
11 Photos
Created 11 August 2013
8 Photos
Created 25 July 2013
Beginning of the refit. Mast lift and haul out.
11 Photos
Created 14 July 2013
Photos of the one place in the Adriatic that everyone sees.
15 Photos
Created 20 September 2011
Venice, August 4 to 11, 2011
12 Photos
Created 11 August 2011
6 Photos
Created 23 December 2009
Photos of some of the architectual works of Antoni Gaudi in Barcelona
12 Photos
Created 23 December 2009
Street sellers working and then on the run as the police move them on.
9 Photos
Created 22 December 2009
Beautiful anchorages around the island of Ibiza, complete with beach bars, fisherman huts, and sunbathing touristas.
6 Photos
Created 18 October 2009
Finally, some photos of the interior of the boat. Finally, got the chance when we cleaned up for guests.
10 Photos
Created 13 September 2009
1 Photo | 6 Sub-Albums
Created 22 July 2009
Assorted, random photos of great people.
8 Photos
Created 24 June 2009
Select photos of Highland Games that included Heavy Sports, Dancing, Pipe Bands, historical displays
7 Photos
Created 24 June 2009
12 Photos
Created 6 October 2008
8 Photos | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 10 July 2008
6 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 26 June 2008
12 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 3 June 2008
6 Photos | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 11 April 2008
13 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 20 March 2008
Photos of Drag Queens, the parade and the party in Bar One at the marina.
16 Photos
Created 26 February 2008
4 Photos
Created 14 February 2008
Details and sailing photos
5 Photos
Created 13 February 2008
4 Photos
Created 11 February 2008