S/V Tiger Lilly

Rig heavy, reef early, and pray often; for God does not assure us an easy passage, but He does promise a safe anchorage...

25 May 2018 | TRINCOMALEE, SRI LANKA
02 January 2018 | Clan Jeti Anchorage, Georgetown, Penang Island, Malaysia
03 November 2016 | Singapore, Southeast Asia
02 October 2016 | Kumai River, Borneo
24 August 2016 | Rindja Island, Indonesia
22 July 2016 | Fannie Bay, Darwin, Northern Territory, Australia
14 June 2016 | Pancake Creek, Queensland, Australia
13 June 2016 | Pancake Creek, Queensland, Australia
11 June 2016 | Burnette Heads, Queensland, Australia
07 June 2016 | Mooloolaba, Queensland, Australia
11 May 2016 | Colmsie, Brisbane River, Queensland, Australia
23 December 2015 | Brisbane, Australia
13 August 2015 | Whangarei, New Zealand
07 August 2015 | Whangarei, New Zealand
23 July 2015 | Whangarei, New Zealand
12 April 2015 | Whangarei, New Zealand
11 February 2015 | Whangarei, New Zealand
25 January 2015 | Whangarei, New Zealand
24 September 2014 | BORA BORA, French Polynesia
23 September 2014 | Bora Bora

COFFEE TIME ABOARD TIGER LILLY!

12 April 2015 | Whangarei, New Zealand
Tom & Lilly
We LOVE our coffee aboard TIGER LILLY - especially on these cool New Zealand mornings. Traditionally, the coffee pot has been a gathering place for sailors ever since man has gone down to the sea in ships.
We even met on a chance encounter at Starbucks. Check it out at: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/tigerlilly/?xjMsgID=157577
When we were back in the USA we loved the sense of community and friendly ambience prevalent at our local Starbucks, but we much prefer Dunkin' Donuts for the flavor of their coffee - and we have actually taken our Dunkin' Donuts coffee to the Julington Creek Starbucks!
Here in Whangarei, New Zealand, TIGER LILLY has become something of a local AA clubhouse, and it is a rare day when we don't have someone from the AA community aboard - and WE are the ones who are blessed! Lilly, as per her usual gregarious self is always dragging some character she has met in town, or along the docks in the Town Basin, back to the boat for coffee; usually just about the time that Tom-Tom the Sailorman is mixing up a batch of epoxy, or opening a tin of expensive marine paint.
When we started out our current cruise in Florida four years ago, we had an electric drip coffee maker, similar to the ones which sit on millions of kitchen counters across Suburbia USA. However, this particular coffee maker had an insulated pot to keep the coffee warm without burning it - and it saved precious energy when it turned itself off as soon as the coffee was made. While we were in the Ile des Saintes in the French West Indies the electric heater in the unit died - and the land of 110 VAC appliances was thousands of miles in our wake. So we reluctantly chucked it into a dumpster at the hotel overlooking our anchorage at Pan de Sucre. We don't much care for the French Press method of coffee making (low on volume, high on grounds in the coffee), but that is what we were reduced to for our morning brew. That afternoon, while we were walking back to the boat from the village, Lilly had a brilliant idea (brilliant to us anyway), that perhaps we could use our beloved insulated pot with some sort of funnel arrangement to hold the filter. Seeing Lilly upside-down in the hotel dumpster retrieving our coffee pot produced a few condescending stares from the up-scale French lady tourists (their husbands seemed to enjoy the view) - but a cruiser's got to do, what a cruiser's got to do! Months later while we were at Curacao in the Netherlands Antilies, Lilly invited some Romanian Gypsy cruisers, and Bob - their 90 pound shaggy sheep dog - aboard for coffee. (We are not making this up.) When they saw the awkward and ungainly method we had of making coffee - the top-heavy narrow-necked ex diesel fuel funnel we used to hold the paper coffee filters was always upsetting and making a huge mess - they very graciously went back to their boat, and quickly returned to TIGER LILLY with their own coffee filter-funnel as their gift to us. The base of the Gypsy filter-funnel fit the top of our insulated pot PERFECTLY! (Of course Mister Retired Naval Officer - aka Whitey Tidy - INSISTED on sterilizing the Gypsy coffee filter-funnel before we could use it.) We use our Friendly Teapot to heat and pour the water, and this system produces superb drip coffee using our LPG fueled boat stove to heat the water. It works great, and the coffee is just the way we like it. The only problem is that once we left the USA, course grind drip coffee is hard to find in stores - so we usually make-do with the finer press grind. Whenever we have guests coming from the States we ask them to bring us genuine Dunkin' Donuts Coffee - OUR FAVORITE!
So, if you find yourself in an anchorage with TIGER LILLY, stop on by for a cuppa - and bring your dog if you've got one!
Tom & Lilly
S/V Tiger Lilly
Whangarei, New Zealand
Comments
Vessel Name: Tiger Lilly
Vessel Make/Model: 1977 CSY44 walkover hull #55
Hailing Port: Green Cove Springs
Crew: Lilly and Tom Service
About:
Lilly is a retired business woman, and was previously a professional athlete. As one of America's first professional female triathletes, she was a pioneer in woman's sports. [...]
Extra:
Our kids: From 1987 to 1991 Tom circumnavigated the world with his family. Daughters Dawn and Jennifer were ages 11 & 13 when they departed on a 4 year, 40 country / island group, Trade Wind voyage around the world, and 15 & 17 when they returned to St. Petersburg, FL. During his high school [...]
Social:
Tiger Lilly's Photos - Main
Approximately 100 Asian elephants live in and around the Trincomalee Landfill in northeast Sri Lanka. These huge creatures eat plastic strewn trash and garbage because they have been driven back from their natural habitat by the encroachment of farms.
38 Photos
Created 24 September 2018
DALA’s STORY
13 Photos
Created 17 January 2018
69 Photos
Created 22 November 2016
19 Photos
Created 22 November 2016
22 Photos
Created 22 November 2016
23 Photos
Created 22 November 2016
15 Photos
Created 28 September 2013
124 Photos | 4 Sub-Albums
Created 26 August 2010
1 Photo | 7 Sub-Albums
Created 23 August 2010
1 Photo | 8 Sub-Albums
Created 23 August 2010
4 Photos | 7 Sub-Albums
Created 23 August 2010