Carried Away

29 April 2015 | Simpson Bay Lagoon
16 April 2015 | Cruz Bay
13 April 2015 | St Thomas
11 April 2015
10 April 2015 | Dewey
07 April 2015 | PR
01 April 2015 | Salinas, PR
24 March 2015 | Ponce Yaucht Club
18 March 2015 | PR
13 March 2015
09 March 2015 | DR
20 February 2015
16 February 2015
14 February 2015
13 February 2015
12 February 2015
28 January 2015
26 January 2015

Rum Cay

18 March 2012 | Anchorage
Very Windy
Went to local Baptist Church service today, about 20 people including kids. Got to remember only 60 souls on island and 2 churches. Pastor was a lady who screqmed so much I thought surely her message would be brief due to sore throat or heart attack. No such luck, well I could make out about every fourth word due to their unique slang.

The women and children were all decked out in their best. The vast majority of the women including the pastor were exceedingly fat. I guess they don't preach on the sin of gluttany.

The island is rampant with poverty; but, as one young man told me he could always eat fish or conch and it beat going to Nassau where you could get murdered real easily because of the high crime rate.

Walking back to the dock two of the ladies stopped asd asked if I would like a ride. I said no thanks and they offered to take me to eat lunch with them at their house. Again I declined. They were so big that they completely filled the front bench seat and had to let the windows down for their arms. Anyway I was afraid to eat whatever it was they were offering. I guess I'm going to have to repent, after all they were very friendly.

Back to a very rolly anchorage. Local marina warned me that if I drug the anchor would end up on a reef so I reset in a better location. Stuck here until a weather window opens. Tried rigging a bridle and that helped some but still rough.

Bought a book "Rum Cay, My Home" written by a 80 year old lady and it helps understand the situation there. They used to have 800 people on the island because it was the second largest salt producer in the world. The US imposed protective tariffs on salt and the island died immediately. Then later an investor built a dive club there and for 10 years everyone did well. Then it folded and the island again went down. Now it has a marina but it too is struggling.

Planning a 25 to 29 hr passage to Mayaguana Island when the weather breaks
Comments
Vessel Name: Carried Away
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau 432 (Moorings 1989)
Hailing Port: Pensacola, FL
Crew: Stan Carver and Ruby Scarbough
Home Page: carriedaway

sv Carried Away

Who: Stan Carver and Ruby Scarbough
Port: Pensacola, FL