Time Bandit

It’s back to the Caribbean leaving a chilly USA east coast for the winter months in the sun.

03 April 2024
04 March 2024
14 February 2024
01 February 2024
06 December 2023
23 November 2023
18 November 2023
17 November 2023
15 November 2023
10 November 2023
09 November 2023 | Norfolk VA
22 October 2023
20 October 2023 | New York Sail Past
29 September 2023
07 September 2023
20 August 2023
15 August 2023
05 August 2023

Well Oiled in Samoa

13 September 2016
Pago Pago harbour is said to be the safest natural harbour in the Pacific. Not surprising as it's in the crater of a hopefully extinct volcano.

Safest, that is with the exception of tsunamis. Back in 2009 much of the low lying town was pretty much washed away so today, all the original German colonial architecture is replaced by new build, some of it quite modern - well, typically, the government buildings are. Good old taxpayers again.

It's a fishing port, quite industrial with the large purse seine fishing boats feeding the remaining two of original four canning factories that line one side of the harbour. Best to keep upwind! 80% of the island population is employed through fishing or fish processing. Having seen the economic wastelands of coastal southern Spain and Portugal after they'd fished the tuna to near extinction, long may the tuna last as unlike the Iberian peninsula, tourism way out here is unlikely to fill the gap.

So, yesterday, nursing my sore back we headed off to explore the local environs. Along the way we spotted a hairdressers, so in we popped for a quick whiz around my bonce with the old clippers. Not enough hair left for scissors although it seems that's a dying art anyway.

Part way through the three minutes it was going to take I'm asked, "would Sir like a massage?"

A quick look around didn't suggest their was going to be much in the way of facilities, given I'd just had my sweaty head washed in her kitchen sink, and noting just a bed in the corner of the shop it didn't look like much of a spa. Certainly no Enya playing.

Well, given I needed some attention and Anne was sick of me moaning and making. "Old People" noises every time I moved, Sir took the plunge and said "OK". (Old People Noises - According to my pal Terry, these are where you find yourself making an involuntary grunt, ooof, or sigh when you undertake serious effort, such as getting up out a chair, bend to tie your shoe laces or climbing a particularly high step.)

"Come with me" she beckoned. "You too" our Chinese host says to Anne and we're led up three stairs, through a curtain and into her bedroom. Whoa! Heard about these places. However, all was ok. A narrow divan on stilts was obviously going to serve as the massage table while Anne was invited to relax on her bed.

Shorts and shirt off, I laid out like a sacrificial offering on a slab and was then duly oiled ready for either Gas Mark 5 or a massage. Without the air con unit it would have been the former. Fortunately it was the latter.

A talker.

Not that I'm anti social and I can be quite chatty at times, but I can't stand it when hairdressers and masseuse want to chat. Even worse when it's in Pekinglish. Fortunately Anne was there to translate or at least fill in the silences.

After twenty minutes of basting I'm asked to relocate to the double bed, face down.

Next there's a clinking of glasss and I'm thinking, "great, we're getting a drink". But no. This is the Michael Phelps treatment - or indeed Anne in the desert fallen off her camel treatment. - cupping. Ancient Chinese remedy or trendy mumbo jumbo?

Alcohol (what a waste) soaked cotton wool was lit, dropped in an old jam jar which was inverted and placed on my back. Again and again until I rattled like a xylophone. A coupe of wiggles and I could play the intro to Tubular Bells lll.

Nearly two hours later, having again forgotten at the outset to ask the magic question, "and how much will that be?" we paid a load of cash and slipped out the shop leaving a snail like trail of oil and sweat to walk the two miles back to the boat.

And more pain killers.
Comments
Vessel Name: Time Bandit
Vessel Make/Model: Outremer 51
Hailing Port: Largs, Scotland
Crew: Anne and Stuart Letton
About: ex dinghy and keelboat racers now tooled up with a super sleek cat and still cruising around aimlessly, destination Nirvana...
Extra: Next up....the Caribbean. We've left South Africa in our wake and now off to Namibia, St Helena, Brazil, Suriname and into the Caribbean. Well, that' the vague plan. We'll see what happens.
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/timebandit/profile
Social:
Time Bandit's Photos - Main
No Photos
Created 26 May 2022
6 Photos
Created 2 April 2021
No Photos
Created 1 April 2021
A few pics of Maldives so far.....
No Photos
Created 29 March 2021
15 Photos
Created 22 September 2020
Our escape the the wild mountain thyme
21 Photos
Created 23 June 2020
21 Photos
Created 2 October 2019
Selayar
18 Photos
Created 6 September 2019
16 Photos
Created 1 September 2019
Some pics from Debut and the Kei Islands
24 Photos
Created 30 July 2019
From the north of Australia to Debut Indonesia
8 Photos
Created 23 July 2019
No Photos
Created 19 October 2018
1 Photo
Created 20 October 2017
7 Photos
Created 23 June 2017
An interesting perspective on evolution in the Galapagos.
23 Photos
Created 7 March 2016
18 Photos
Created 30 September 2014
Mediterranean Spain to the Arctic Circle
67 Photos
Created 12 August 2013
Scraping and sanding hull back to gel coat for epoxy and Coppercoat treatments.
6 Photos
Created 3 February 2013