01/05/2010, Marmarmarmarmarmarmaris, Turkey
Well, I am so sorry that I haven't been able to blog, but here goes...
For an update on what has happened, we've been to Rhodes and not done anything else. Okay, I guess we have done other stuff, like going to movie night and going to the quiz's, on the Sunday's and Monday's of the week, but other than that, thing have been pretty quiet. But, I guess that's what comes with living in a marina. You don't have to worry about you motor cover getting blown off, your dinghy stolen, the sky falling -- life's a lot better.
As for the excruciating boring-ness of this escapade, I feel like now that school's back in, all I do is school, piano, school, and piano. But, to see the sunny side of things, I am getting better at piano (I won't say anything about school:-)).
Iyi, yazıklanan ki görünüm blog, ama burada giderse ...
*ünkü bir güncelleme ne oldu, tartıžmamıza Rodos'a ve žey. bažka. Okay, sanırım yaptık diľer düdüklerini gibi, için film gece ve giden quiz ve , Pazar ve Pazartesi günkü hafta, ama bažka bir žey, da oldukça sakin. Ancak, sanırım bu ne geldiľinde'da yažayan bir marina. Siz de hakkında endiže you motor kapak havaya alan, your dıžtan çalıntı, gökyüzü düžen -- life'nın lut iyi.
Olan acı veren bıktıran - ness bu kaçamaľı, gidemeyeceľim gibi artık okulu'nun geri, tüm BEN bir okul, piyano, okul, ve piyano. Ancak, bakalım güneç žey, elime daha iyi piyano (küçümsendiľimiz oldu ama evet her žey okul hakkında:-)).
12/17/2009, Marmaris, Turkey
To continue the 'What??!!! Another storm!!!' saga...
Well, to make a long explanation short, we're getting another storm. This time, from the west. But, thankfully, we are still nestled in Yat Marin. I hope we will be able to ride this one out like we did. I was commenting today, that the time between each storm is just enough to let you fix all the stuff that broke in the last storm!!
Nothing new has happened around here. My dad went to town today and picked up a second-hand 220V battery charger, so we will install that tomorrow (weather permitting). But, other than that, nothing to report.
12/13/2009, Marmaris, Turkey
Sorry for the delay in blogs. I just haven't been able to get on the computer until now. (And even now I am being pressed to get off quickly.)
We are, right now, in a marina (to be specific, Marmaris Yat Marin)(as you might have noticed from the title). The reason for this is...
The following has not been matched to correct records, although it is presumed to be correct:
We left the beach in front of Marmaris (not the one near Yacht Marine) and move to the beach in front of the Yacht Marine. Once there, we decided to 'tree tie' (meaning tying up to a tree on shore) because we assumed that that would be the best way to weather to the approaching storm and also because we hadn't tried that yet.
Well, to make a long story short, our boat-tree line broke and we were dashed up onto a lee shore [the wind blew us on to the shore]. We quickly got out our 300' of sea-anchor line. My dad pulled himself to shore in the dinghy on our 2nd line and tied off the new line. Then followed about 10 minutes of checking the depthometer and winching in the new line. But, we were safe.
But we weren't out of the woods yet! (I think) we released the tree lines and went to Netsel Marina to fill up with fuel. Then we went in front of the main town and anchored off as we did some shopping. It was a productive day.
Sorry, but I got lost in the details for a moment. Anyway, as I was saying, we weren't out of the woods yet. The next day we moved anchor back to Yacht Marine to await yet another storm. You can go to my dad's blog for more details (he saw it), but I will tell you what I gathered from the snippets of information I picked up.
At around 10 or 10:30, my dad woke up to a bright flash of light. He scrambled out of bed and looked around. Th source of the light was our neighboring boat, Hydrus. They had heard chain grinding against their anchor and had tried to alert us to that. Well, they were successful. :-) Anyhow, they started to drag anchor. But soon they stopped probably because they had reached the point where they started to use our anchor instead of theirs.
Anyhow, in the morning, John (on Hydrus) comes over and tells us to pull up our anchor to detangle it from theirs. We pulled our anchor up successfully. We wondered what was going on a Hydrus, if we weren't tangled up in each other.
Well, apparently Hydrus' anchor had caught on a mooring chain that was attached to two concrete blocks. The blocks had come loose, and that's why they drug. But, later today, John said that he had to put a winch into his anchor windlass [a tool used to pull anchors up from the sea floor] to help his chain up, the load was so heavy. When he got the anchor into an area where he could see it, he saw that the chain with the two blocks of concrete on the ends was so corroded that the concrete blocks stuck out on each side, like lifting weights!!! (Normally the blocks would smash together instead of sticking straight out.)
After that ordeal, my dad got fed up with anchoring, and went into the Yacht Marine. That is where we are now, and that is where we will stay for the next 3 months.
12/04/2009, Marmaris, Turkey
Yes...I think that mayhem is the best way to describe it. I can't quite remember everything else, but I do remember that in the morning of Wednesday, December 2, 2009 we woke up a mile or so from our anchorage. We knew that we would be getting some weather soon, so we hurried back to anchorage.
But, when that weather came, we were getting the stink eye from a neighboring boat so we decided to move. That was a bad decision. We moved, but we ran aground. (Not hard, but our depth meter read 0.) Then we motored around for awhile and tried to set the anchor a few more times. We never drug, but we were always either too close to our neighbor or we were too close to a nearby rock. We eventually found the right anchoring spot, and settled down to a nice evening of anxiety and nervousness. The next morning bore no signs of the previous day's storm.
We spent that morning (yesterday) assessing the damage from the day before. It turns out; we lost a dinghy motor cover, snapped the Wi-Fi antenna, and almost lost the dinghy. (We ended up putting the dinghy partway into the cockpit to keep it from flipping in the wind.) But besides breaking stuff, we were rather subdued that day.
Today dawned bright and sunny. But it soon clouded over and from our weather books, we are expecting rain soon (maybe tomorrow). It has been nice here, whatever the weather.
Whether the weather be cold or whether the weather be hot;
Whether the weather be fine or whether the weather be not;
Whatever the weather, we'll weather the weather;
Whether we like it or not.
11/26/2009, Marmaris, Turkey
Finally we've made it to Marmaris! When we were in Bodrum we thought that Marmaris was just around the corner, but when we looked at the map on our way to Marmaris, we realized the the city was really a two days sail away. So we spent that night in a Turkish city called Datca (see previous blog).
But now we are in the long awaited Marmaris and spending a lot of money. The money is mostly going towards repairs and other stuff. But we've been into town (mostly because our stove was getting repaired and we had to eat out) and shopped around there. Also our Italian friends are getting a new mainsail and spinnaker (a big sail to sail downwind with) here in Marmaris.
We are right now anchored off of the marina and plan to move to the main town tomorrow.
Today started off with no wind. It was very calm and we had to motor most of the way along. But, about ¼ of the way through, we got some wind. So up went the spinnaker. (My dad likes to fly the spinnaker whenever he can.) But soon down came the spinnaker when the wind died. But to tell you what happened before the spinnaker came down...
My dad had come down to get some almonds and realized that there was lots of pinkish water in the bilge!! Now, wherever that came from, we couldn't tell; until we remembered that the forward macerator pump (poop pump) was leaking (it had started leaking the day before). But soon we had traveled far enough off shore to dump our holding tanks. Luckily, the forward macerator pump still pumped and we were able to negate any further leakages.
But it was a very, shall we say, 'tense' time. We had to pull up the main floor-board which involved moving a bench to get to a bilge compartment that could not be accessed any other way (we are still wondering whether we should seal the compartment off or not). And then we had to pull pink (or rather 'brown') water out of the bilge! It was messy, but nothing unusual as we've been into the bilge very often recently (as a result of various leakages).
But we made it into Datca (I couldn't find the proper Turkish symbol, so the 'c in Datca' is supposed to have a curly-cue underneath which makes the 'c' sound like a 'ch'.) safely and we are now at anchor. It is a cute town, kind of like Serifos, with a small marina and a downtown area. But we plan to move on tomorrow; either to Simi, a nearby Greek island, or to Marmaris. We are thinking of staying at Simi because we have a list of good places to see. The list came from a marina manager in Athens who was really nice.
P.S. I think that Turkey is greener than Greece, if you ever want to visit one of those countries.