Bookmark and Share
Will's Web Page
09/08/2010, Palma, Mallorca

We now have free internet on our boat so I am taking the opportunity to post a brief blog.

We are now back in Palma (or rather Palmanova) getting ready to move into the main town to get some shopping done. When we were here last year, we spent all our time up here because of the Med cup that was going on while we were visiting.

From here we plan to go up to Soller on Friday and then return to Palma to meet up with s/v Juno.

09/18/2010 | RJ Pimentel
hey will! were in sicily now about to go to vulcano. remember when you get to port de soller take the tram up to soller (thats the main town) and right on the outskirts of town find a ice cream shop with an arch made out of present boxes at the entrance and get the orange soller. hope you are well

The cala’s
09/06/2010, Cala Mitjana, Mallorca

From Porto Cristo we went directly here, on a long, uneventful journey of maybe 15 miles. If you've read my dad's blog before mine, you'd know about our anchoring adventure in this anchorage. But we're safe now, for the moment, with a stern anchor out. Unfortunately we are a bit uncomfortable, since a swell is coming in and bouncing around on the cala's sides. But the anchorage is really beautiful and it has awesome snorkeling.

We plan to stay today here and possibly move on tomorrow morning, to where, I have no idea. Probably down on the SE point of Mallorca.

Back to the Balearics
09/04/2010, Porto Cristo, Mallorca

As the blog title suggests, we are back in the Ballearics where we spent a portion of last summer. We haven't ever been on this side of the island, so this is a nice experience. We also get to go fairly slow which is a relief after the west coast of Italy. Now we're in Porto Cristo going to get Wi-Fi at Burger King (we don't normally eat there, much less find one).

For the next few weeks we plan to relax and not do a whole lot of overnighters (preferably none). We met up with our friends that we'd met over e-mail in Mahón and have been sailing with them for the past week or so which is a good chance to slow down and have fun. We met up with another American boat in Mahón too but we said goodbye on Menorca.

I can't remember where I last blogged, so I will leave it there. My dad keeps a (very) detailed account of our doings on his blog, so you'll have to read his to figure out what happened since I last blogged.

The full loop
08/24/2010, Carloforte, Sardinia

Well, we've circumnavigated Sardinia now. Not quite the same as circumnavigating the world, but at least that I can say that I've gone around something all the way.

As you can probably tell, we're in Carloforte now, more extraordinarily with free Wi-Fi! We plan to leave tomorrow morning early and head to Mahon, on Menorca. We're meeting some friends that we met via blog there so we hope to be in Mahon in the afternoon of Thursday, August 25.

If you want to know what happened between Bonifacio, read on.

We left Bonifacio for Stintino in a fairly strong headwind (maybe 15 knots upwind). It was a 50 n.m. leg, so we couldn't go slow. We actually turned on the motor for the last 16 n.m. after the wind had died down a bit. We then spent a peaceful night at anchor before moving on to Porto Conte. We spent two nights there and saw Neptune's grotto while we were staying there. Then we moved on to Alghero 10 n.m. away to break up the long passages.

We spent another two nights there and in the morning of the second day, tied up at the fuel dock, filled up with water, gave the boat a bath, and then left before the dock opened. We arrived here in the afternoon and since have spent two or three days on free fast internet.

08/15/2010, Bonifacio, Corsica, France

Now we're in Bonifacio, Corsica planning to leave tomorrow. Sorry to be brief, but I'm running out of battery.

We checked out the town today, and I can see why people like it. There are narrow alleys and an old castle built by Count Bonifacio in the 1400's. It's a lot like Mykonos actually.

Anyway, bye for now.

A rest after a long journey
08/03/2010, Porto Ercole, Tuscany

Well, sorry that it's been 70 days since I last blogged, but Wi-Fi has been very scanty in western Italy. We were warned about it in Roccelle Ionica, but we didn't listen. Now we're paying the price. The title of this blog applies to this in a way...

Anyhow, now we're in Porto Ercole, our longtime destination since our friends Michel, Joyce, and Alexandria are coming here soon (specifically tomorrow). We are busy now trying to clean up our boat in preparation as well as fix new problems that were just created last night (instruments aren't working anymore after my dad took the wind instrument out to try to fix it).

If you want an update since we left Syracuse, read on. It promises to be a long blog...

After Syracuse:

We left Syracuse and went down to Portopallo on the SE corner of Sicily where we planned to jump off to Malta. Unlike what usually happens, the plan went right! We did a long day-sail down to Malta in crystal clear, aquamarine water. I mean, the water was like something you might expect to see in the S. Pacific!


Valetta, the capitol, was amazing. Unfortunately we didn't see a whole lot, but we did manage to see the big tourist attraction - St. John's co-Cathedral. The reason it is a co-Cathedral is that there is the first cathedral on Gozo. Instead of naming it for a different saint (St. John is the patron saint of the Maltese islands), the Maltese ruler called it a co-Cathedral.

The rest of the city was pretty cool. It was all just several big forts. We didn't see them all, but when we were entering Grand Harbor it was just walls, walls, walls on all sides. Most of the forts were built while Malta was gaining power so when the Turks came to squash this powerful nation, the forts were completed. It didn't stop the Turks from laying siege to the city (Valetta) for five (?) months. That siege is referred to as the Great Siege.

Valetta was under siege again during WWII, but that was eventually lifted when the Allies managed to get a food freighter into the port. As with every other holiday (there's usually one every day), the Maltese government pays for fireworks since the citizens can't shoot them off themselves.


After Malta we sailed down to Monastir, Tunisia. It was cool to see a different continent, but it wasn't a place I'd want to do back to - either for a holiday (as many tourists had) or just to visit. However, I'm glad that we went there the one time. The market is a lot like a stock exchange building - people shouting, shoving and just generally making a ruckus all over the whole building. Didn't understand a word of Arabic, but we did manage to procure some eggs, chicken, and some very delicious oranges.

We spent a night in the marina at Monastir before heading on the Yasmine Hammamet. The next day we went into town, but didn't find anything interesting before leaving on an overnighter to I. Pantelleria, Italy.


Since we didn't spend much time in Pantelleria, I will go straight to Mazara del Vallo, Sicily where we stopped after Pantelleria. When we got into Mazara at around 6 am, I was asleep. But the breakwater for the marina extends out a long way so we were able to anchor easily. The next morning we tried to leave to Trapani, but the wind was too strong so we turned back. However, the next day was good, so we left in the morning. Well, the wind built and so now we were in 20 knots going upwind. )-: But we made it, and soon we were at anchor in Trapani harbor. Because we didn't have a dinghy motor we didn't go into town and so soon we were under way to Palermo.

We weren't very impressed with Palermo. We had to stay in a marina and we were having a tough time figuring out where to stay when this one guy waved us over to his dock. We were lost and grateful for some direction, so we tied up there. It turned out that it was an expensive place to tie up - and that's about all it was. The water was not potable, there wasn't any Wi-Fi, and I don't think there was any electricity.

We cleared out of Palermo quickly and went to Cefalu (I think). We stayed there for two days because we needed laundry done. We got some Wi-Fi there, but only enough to send some e-mail messages.

Aeolian Islands:

From Cefalu we went to the first of the Aeolian's, Filicudi. On our way there we noticed some cool-looking rocks sticking out of the water and so we stopped by there. The snorkeling was good, but we got our chain wound hopelessly around the underwater rocks. The anchor wasn't even doing anything! It ended up with my dad swimming and directing us to get the chain off the bottom. I turned out OK, but it was bout sunset by the time we got done with it.

From there we went to Lipari for lunch. Our windlass broke then and so we were stuck there for a while before we got it repaired enough to get the anchor up. We moved around the corner to some rocks because of the wake in Lipari bay for the evening. But before the sun went down we decided to go to the nearby I. Vulcano.

The next morning we hiked up the mountain to the summit. Granted, it isn't a very big volcano, but we were still puffing hard when we got back to the boat. It felt so good to go swimming, despite the jellyfish!

We left in the morning for a short sail to Panarea. We found a nice anchorage there and spent a peaceful night. In the morning on our way to Stromboli we saw a mega mega-yacht with a helicopter!!!! We saw that mega-yacht two more times at places I can't remember, unfortunately.

Stromboli is an active volcano, so there was a continuous stream of smoke coming out of the crater. Supposedly if we were to go around to the north side of the island at night we could see the lava flow. We didn't and we heard from a guy who did that on the night we were thinking of doing it that he couldn't see it very well.

Mainland coast (Tropea - here):

We left Stromboli rather early in the morning on our trip to Tropea. Tropea was only 30 (?) n.m. away, but it was almost 6 by the time we got in. We pulled up the most cove-like bit of coast we could find and settled in for the night. The only problem was that the waves were running perpendicular to the coast while the 2 knot current was running parallel to the coast. Around 8 or 9 p.m. we got out our stern anchor and set that. We spent a peaceful night after that.

We had Wi-Fi then, and so we made full use of it by staying the rest of the day before setting off at sunset for Naples. We couldn't make Naples the next day, so instead of going there we went to the Amalfi coast just south of Naples. We stayed there for a night (the mooring buoys were '60 per night!) at anchor and moved on the next morning.

That afternoon we arrived at the place that would anchor us for the next week - Baia. It was there that we found the Fiart manufacturing company and where we had our dinghy motor repaired (it works fine now! Yay!). We took little excursions out from there and saw Procida, Ischia, Capri, and Ventotene - little islands around the bay of Naples.

The dinghy motor was finally repaired and we took the overnighter that eventually got us here by way of Santo Marinella.

That is the events I remember happening between here and Syracuse (with a little help from mom's notebook).

Newer ]  |  [ Older ]


Time Warp
Who: Peter, Ruth, and Will
Port: Seattle, WA
View Complete Profile »
Kid Kruisers • 
SailBlogs Friends
Aisling I Time Warp Azure 

Powered by SailBlogs