05/21/2009, Charleston, SC
Sorry for the delay in getting a blog up there. As a brief update we are almost done with the navigation system, the SSB is going bungo again, and the refrigerator is pretty much done.
By the SSB going wrong I mean it refuses to transmit. Transmitting is important for other things than "Mayday!" In order to receive a weather fax we have to transmit a request to a nearby SSB station and they can then send us a weather fax. So it's pretty important. We are soon going to move the SSB to a more accessible location.
05/03/2009, Charleston, SC
We got it installed!!!!!!!!!! (By that I mean we got the SSB installed.) It took some doing but we got it in. Well......almost (of course we would mess up!). We don't know what small problem we have, but we do know that we have a problem. It's just a small problem -- we can't transmit!! Only just a little bit important! Oh, and also the instuction manual does not have any trouble shooting! How odd.
Anyhow, that's the latest news. Everything else has styed pretty much the same. (Thank goodness!)
04/28/2009, Charleston, SC
Yeah right!! The 'comforts' of Charleston consist of GNATS (and mosquitoes, but the mosquitoes don't matter)!!!!!!!! Trust me. The gnats are worse than the mosquitoes.
Anyhow, now we are almost done with the SSB radio! We only have to flush mount the remote. (It's confusing. Go to Icom's website to find out more.)
Right now my Dad is trying to design and install a navigation system. Kind of important! He has to come up with how to mount and place screens/monitors for the computer he needs. (He wants to put one in the cockpit and two in the salon [one for entertainment and one for navigation].) The work is still in progress.
After we're done with the SSB and the navigation system, we can focus on the bugs!!!
04/13/2009, Charleston, SC
It's true. We got the forward water tanks installed along with the new high-output alternator. We now have eighty-six (?) gallons of water in the forward water tanks and about thirty gallons in the back tank.
The tanks went in without too many glitches. We were missing one part and that was it! It was amazing! It only took half of an afternoon! And luckily the tanks arrived with all the correct fittings.
The alternator went in with a little more difficulty. My Dad got all the components installed within a day but...he had difficulty finding the right-sized belt. It took him the total of about a half a day and four or five trips to the store to get the right one! The store is quite a distance away. We're at St. Johns Yacht harbor (SJYH) on Johns Island near Maybank Hwy.
But speaking of the saying "Water water everywhere and not a drop to drink." It's true. Even besides the fact that you can't drink salt water, the water here is terrible. Absolutely terrible. When we flush our heads (not our own personal heads, but the bathroom head!) we can't tell if the water that we flush down is recycling and coming back up into the bowl! The water is brown and contains a lot of silt. SJYH advertises that their water is their pride, but I don't know where that comes from!
We are getting ready to install the SSB now. In another week or so we should have all the parts for it.
The local boat I mentioned in the blog "Completion" is called Illyria. She is a J-120. Anyhow, we are doing Charleston Race Week(end) on her. (The reason I called it Race 'Weekend' is because it's only Fri., Sat., and Sun.) It should be fun.
04/02/2009, Charleston, SC
We're, right now, getting weather that Seattle is famous for -- liquid sunshine (aka. rain). The weather reports called for storms today and tomorrow and maybe even the next day. But the pressure hasn't dropped yet so I don't know.
There hasn't been much going on lately. Parts are starting to arrive so my Dad will start installing stuff again soon. He ended up having to order a new high-output alternator. So he'll be installing that soon too.
Sorry. SailBlogs won't let me post a picture. :-(
03/24/2009, Charleston, SC
We just completed the Starboard heater!!!!!!!!! After we got past the head, it was relatively easy. All we had to do was run duct-work under the settee and into the forward head with a few Y's in between. It went really quick and soon we had heat on both sides.
Now my Dad is going to switch out the vent on the Port side in the V-berth with the one on the Port side in the Galley. That shouldn't be a problem with a teak mill in the area. The last blog explains.
We went on a race Sat. on a local boat. We're going to go to a practice this evening.
Yesterday I went to my 2nd Boy Scout Meeting. It went about the same as the last meeting. We did the opening ceremony and started calculating and paying dues. This Troop does there dues differently. They have Scouts bring $1 every week. It's kind of inconvenient. I also got some Troop gear. This Troop has their Class A uniform, a whole bunch of Class B shirts, a Troop hat, and a travel Class A!
The picture is of the thermostat. We don't have th heat on either! (Lucky we even have that option!)