Tokimata's Travels

Vessel Name: Tokimata
Vessel Make/Model: Ganley S130 steel cutter
Hailing Port: Coromandel, New Zealand
Crew: Peter, Rachel, Danny and Tom Garden
06 September 2023 | Bahia Nonda
07 August 2023
30 June 2023
07 June 2023
03 October 2022 | Santa Marta, Colombia
23 September 2022
18 September 2022 | Curaçao
11 September 2022
30 August 2022 | Grenada
13 August 2022 | St Lucia
21 December 2019
26 November 2019
19 November 2019
10 November 2019
24 October 2019
18 September 2019
Recent Blog Posts
06 September 2023 | Bahia Nonda

Panama Pacific Coast

It’s now well over a month since we left Panama City. La Brisas the free anchorage on the long causeway joining three islands, was free but not the greatest pace to stay, with poor holding and many disintegrating boats, but this amazing backdrop of skyscrapers behind. These free places where yachts [...]

07 August 2023

Panama City

We fuelled up on 20th July 2023 and filled with water, ready for the passage through the Panama Canal. We were to leave around 2 pm next day, staying overnight in Gatun lake with our local line-handlers, and should be through by 3 pm on the following day.

21 July 2023

Rio Chagres and Portabelo on the Caribbean coast of Panama.

We left the San Blas islands on July 10 2023, after a last visit to Ivin, the wonderful chef at Hollandais Cays. He gave a few more image files for his recipe book and we bought his terrific coconut cake one last time. At 11.30 we upped anchor and were off on our way back east, the transit through the [...]

13 July 2023

The islands of San Blas

On Friday 23rd June at last we headed across the busy canal entrance from Shelter Bay marina and into the Caribbean sea. We were sailing to the San Blas islands, Kuna Yala to the inhabitants, hundreds of small islands and coastal villages that are still administered by the indigenous owners of the land. [...]

30 June 2023

The jungles of Panama

Grinding rust on the hull of Tokimata eventually gave way to grinding rust on the decks, but this was made much easier by hiring energetic boatyard workers. Eventually this progressed to painting, using two part polyurethane over the various anti-rust treatments and primers they had applied. However [...]

07 June 2023

Two weeks in Panama

We arrived in Panama City Tuesday 23rd May from Manchester, with our usual heavy luggage: this time a Starlink system was the bulk of it along with other boat essentials. After travel via Amsterdam we arrived at last to see our taxi-driver holding a “Mr Peter” sign and were off for the hour and a [...]

Nelson Island/Tooksook Bay

07 July 2012
Rachel
We?re hiding out at Nelson Island, 50 or so miles north east of Nunivak Island, not quite sheltering from strong northerly winds, this coast is very exposed for miles around here. We?ve been anchored here now for 36 hours, two enormous barges nearby, our anchor is holding well as the boat shudders and rocks and is slapped around by the waves, wind howling about us.

As we came in on Thursday night lots of friendly locals in open aluminium skiffs gave friendly waves, offered us fish, and took our photos from their iphones! We had talked to a few off shore one of whom said "We?re Yupik eskimo" clearly that's not an insult here. We're anchored near one of their fishing camps spread along the shore.

Tom and Dan and I found sun and shelter ashore yesterday, climbing up above the fishing camp that is sheltered by a big cliff, still banked with snow. We walked up above the camp having greeted some locals on shore, onto lovely smooth tundra hills, all gold and green and brown, soft and spongy with moss and lichen and wild lavender and flowers. So soft Dan and Tom walked barefoot for miles. We spent hours up there enjoying wonderful views of this vast low-lying bay spread out below, each delicate line of the land so visible as David had pointed out, without the trees, just delightful!

Not far from the cliffs we looked up to see an odd "spike" on the very top of a pointed hill. Looking through Lin's binoculars it seemed oddly shaggy - surely not a musk ox right there on the peak!? Too strange to be true surely in this bare landscape, but we had seen (and collected) their soft warm wool lying on the lichen, and so indeed it was, a great head reared up and stared at us, curved tusks on each side, the most ridiculous hairy blanket laid over his big humped shoulders and neat little white ankles below - extraordinary fellow, long coat blowing in the breeze, for a moment alarming as he reared up and might have charged down, his partner also joining him? it's hard to get a sense of scale on those bare and beautiful hills, they could have been enormous if close or small if far away - but it turned out they were quite near and though the size of a cattle beast, not enormous. Eve a woman we met on Nunivak wore a head covering she had spun from musk ox fur, collected from animals she killed, its amazingly soft like cashmere and she had dyed it in reds and greens.

We walked about these glorious soft hills for ages, enjoying this landscape which had a Margot Philips feel to it, such gentle rolling hillsides with in the distance, tin roofs along the coast catching the sun, showing there were villages and even perhaps a town in this enormous land? big wind turbines too not far away.

By the time we got back the sea was very choppy, we were glad to be off Portia and onto our good ship Tokimata. We're unsure now of our next move as we need to be in Nome soon as our cruising permit expires on July 13th. There are 300 miles to go on this very exposed coast, but it is north where this wild wind is coming from. It is though less extreme than last night, hopefully dying down. We've watched this morning as one barge has joined another behind us, huge cranes on the new barge unloading other boats, a kind of babushka of boats on board, now with small, middle-sized and big tugboat all neatly side by side. Pete heard on the radio the big fuel barge had dragged, heard Russian boats talking too.
Comments

About & Links