Toodle-oo!

24 May 2013
17 May 2013
11 May 2013
10 May 2013
09 May 2013
09 May 2013
08 May 2013
08 May 2013
01 May 2013
22 April 2013
16 April 2013
16 April 2013
15 April 2013
05 April 2013
19 March 2013
06 March 2013

July 4th Weekend

05 July 2011 | Bristol, RI
Friday: We were going to head to Third Beach in order to do a longer sail on Saturday, but we were late getting away (6:30pm), so we followed Jamin to Potter’s Cove instead.
On the way, we tested the Outbound’s spec sheet – regarding mast height… 64ft mast, 65ft bridge…
I was so convinced we were going to lop the top of the mast off that I had the boat in full reverse to try to stop – but too late, we were committed… and she fit through!
Unfortunately, no wind so we motored the whole way to the cove, looked for a mooring that Neal said would be available, but couldn’t find it so anchored next to Jamin (2 tries…) Dinner was aboard Jamin, where Jane graciously served up pork chops and Pilaf rice for us – great!

On Saturday morning we moved too early – in no wind. In the afternoon it came up great so we missed a good opportunity. We did however secure a mooring for the weekend – even though we had been told none were available. A nice spot, right opposite the park. We then had all sorts of visitors – Neal, Cathy, Wayne, Joan, Peter, Diane, Mike and Jane – and enjoyed altogether too much alcohol!

Sunday: After a quick visit from Andrea and Nathan to check out the new boat, we headed off to Prudence to pick up Neal, Cathy, Wayne and Joan for a circumnavigation of Prudence. Wind was up, but it was overcast and humid… We started with a reefed main and headed to wind with Wayne at the helm. We almost caught and passed an Island Packet that was motoring while we zigged and zagged down the bay! Had a great sail and completed the circumnavigation in just 3 hours.

Laurie and I then sailed back wing on wing with the headsails in the dying breeze and then settled in to watch the fireworks display – magic!

Monday: We strolled the parade route before the parade and then sat it out aboard. It was hot! Managed to get the AIS working and checked out the batteries and engine…
We left about 2:00pm with the breeze having built to about 10kts and with enough west that we were able to sail the whole way. Enjoyed catching and passing a couple of boats on the way! Didn’t enjoy the rotten AIS alarming forever – but managed to silence it eventually…

The Sakonnet Bridge was a breeze the second time around!
Comments
Vessel Name: Toodle-oo!
Vessel Make/Model: Outbound 44
Hailing Port: Newport, RI
Crew: Bill and Laurie Balme
About: New to sailing in 2004. Determined to circumnavigate some day!
Extra: We bought our first boat - a 30ft S2 -in 2004 and upgraded the following year to our Crealock 37 – a 'real' Blue Water boat. 2011 brings our final boat - an Outbound 44 - hull #27.

Who: Bill and Laurie Balme
Port: Newport, RI