Toodle-oo!

24 May 2013
17 May 2013
11 May 2013
10 May 2013
09 May 2013
09 May 2013
08 May 2013
08 May 2013
01 May 2013
22 April 2013
16 April 2013
16 April 2013
15 April 2013
05 April 2013
19 March 2013
06 March 2013

My first Fourth of July!

05 July 2012
Had a nice gentle sail up to Bristol on Tuesday afternoon and anchored just off the entrance to the fairway at around 3:30pm, ready to watch the fireworks. We toodled down to see Mike and Jane and after a quick drink with them came back to find the harbormaster waiting for us... The wind had changed direction and we were now edging into the fairway - please move! What a pain! I let the harbormaster know I thought the required move was nuts - and he said he'd pass it on to the harbormaster... (I thought he was it...)

We re-deployed about 100ft away - and settled back - but another yacht felt we were too close for comfort (&^%*&) so we upped again and moved well away - to the edge of the harbor adjacent Poppasquash. While anchoring, Graylag frantically hails us on the VHF - so I respond... "You're right over my anchor" : "Really - how much scope do you have out?" : "110 ft all chain." : "So far we have 80ft out, and we're a solid 60ft away from you." : "Oh OK - you seem to know what you're doing." : "Thanks - let's have a drink sometime!" : "Sounds good."

We continued our deployment and settled down for dinner of Chicken, Corn and Salad (very tasty) and got ready for the fireworks show...

We're beginning dinner - with a glass of wine, when a blue flashing light appears on our starboard side. A somewhat terse exchange then proceeds - during which he indicated that he, the Bristol Harbormaster had asked the Tiverton Harbormaster to request we "adjust" our scope - we didn't have to actually move... Since we were not told this, we assumed we had to move (and anyway, why would any harbormaster think it's OK and safe to tell a captain to reduce scope?). "If we are in a good position now, I'd like to finish my dinner and wine and be left in peace!"

After sitting at our stern in silence for a couple of minutes with blue light still flashing, he buggers off to be a pain to someone else... (It's then that a rather bemused Laurie reminds me that our Documentation certificate has still not come back from the Coast Guard and that the dingy registration number is not affixed!)

We continue dinner - but before we can finish, Mark from Greylag rows over to us to find out what the Nazzis wanted! Obviously slight the worse for a bevy or two, Mark very nearly falls in the water while boarding Toodle-oo! We have a glass of wine together - and a nice chat, then pour him back into his dingy (just)! As he paddles back to Greylag, the harbormaster decides he needs an escort - complete with blue flashing light!

Finally we can enjoy the fireworks - but unfortunately we're farther away than either of us realized so it was not as good as planned... Our fault - not Bristol's - who put on an excellent show.

Sunday dawned damp and dreary. We slowly got our stuff together and after a brief chat with Elixir and Jamin who had taken moorings right under the fireworks, we went in search of breakfast - and found it at the English Pub! Breakfast sandwich and a pint of London Pride went down well! Laurie even went for a pint of Guinness!

We walked the parade - before it started, then watched the first few groups processing through before hitting Aidens for a couple more Guinness!

Our sail home was neat - into the wind, so we were short tacking down the harbor and getting good practice. We made it into the slip and hour or so later - with no difficulties (that's a first) and then enjoyed a beautiful summer late afternoon/evening drink in the cockpit.

In spite of harbormasters, we had a nice relaxing 4th!
Comments
Vessel Name: Toodle-oo!
Vessel Make/Model: Outbound 44
Hailing Port: Newport, RI
Crew: Bill and Laurie Balme
About: New to sailing in 2004. Determined to circumnavigate some day!
Extra: We bought our first boat - a 30ft S2 -in 2004 and upgraded the following year to our Crealock 37 – a 'real' Blue Water boat. 2011 brings our final boat - an Outbound 44 - hull #27.

Who: Bill and Laurie Balme
Port: Newport, RI