Toodle-oo!

24 May 2013
17 May 2013
11 May 2013
10 May 2013
09 May 2013
09 May 2013
08 May 2013
08 May 2013
01 May 2013
22 April 2013
16 April 2013
16 April 2013
15 April 2013
05 April 2013
19 March 2013
06 March 2013

Nowhere at all!

20 July 2009 | Mattapoisset
Saturday, instead of heading off to Maine, we did absolutely nothing - and enjoyed every minute of it! We actually didn't get on the boat until the afternoon - and decided to take advantage of the local situation and go visit Harbor Days! Essentially a series of market stalls with local craft spots selling all they could. Then we headed to the pub for a pint, before going back to Toodle-oo! for more wine and wonderful food - fresh Haddock, potatoes, leeks and corn. Hmmm.

Sunday we had no plan so sailed around the harbor for a while - trying not to give Laurie too many kittens! Close quarter sailing is not her cup of tea...

Then we headed out of the harbor for no particular destination and the wind stopped. The spinnaker would hardly fill and we sat there - with half a dozen other sailboats... For about an hour we sat there doing between 0 and 1 kt until suddenly, there was the wind. OK, Spinnaker up, SW breeze, I guess we're heading to Basset Island! Great how the destinations come to us! When we got there, we maneuvered ourselves along the narrow channel and anchored in amongst a hoard of boats and then proceeded to people watch while we had lunch. It's amazing the differences in skill levels in anchoring, the most interesting being a power boater in a big blue Pearson who cleared had no clue. He really wanted to raft up with a boatload of young things - but ended up anchoring 3 times before he was set - by which time he was so close to us he put fenders out!

The way home was interesting, the light winds had turned into 25kts and the sea was very bumpy. Beating into this was wet indeed, but we managed to get all the way home with just a couple of tacks and the boat managed beautifully. She really does well...
Comments
Vessel Name: Toodle-oo!
Vessel Make/Model: Outbound 44
Hailing Port: Newport, RI
Crew: Bill and Laurie Balme
About: New to sailing in 2004. Determined to circumnavigate some day!
Extra: We bought our first boat - a 30ft S2 -in 2004 and upgraded the following year to our Crealock 37 – a 'real' Blue Water boat. 2011 brings our final boat - an Outbound 44 - hull #27.

Who: Bill and Laurie Balme
Port: Newport, RI