Wingin' It With Freebird

21 November 2015
17 September 2015 | US Virgin Islands
24 April 2015
23 November 2014
30 October 2014 | Catalina Islands
20 October 2014 | A leg up to Dana Point
13 October 2014 | San Diego
05 September 2014 | San Diego, back North.....a little
15 August 2014 | Leaving Oceanside
02 August 2014 | Oceanside, CA.
08 July 2014 | Woodstock, Vermont & Small Sea Port Towns
19 June 2014 | Dana Point, CA.
21 May 2014 | More Catalina!
19 May 2014
16 May 2014 | Dana Point

Concerts & Hurricanes

05 September 2014 | San Diego, back North.....a little
Kimber

The Concert Connection!

"It's true, you are a good friend. Then again, you may just be, the antichrist?!"...
Re-vamped from the movie,Tombstone.


It all started innocently enough when we went to a small little venue to see Jefferson Starship. Total relics, I know, but the newer female vocalist was kill'en it and they actually sounded pretty damn good! That led to a slightly bigger (but certainly no where "stadium size") venue over on Shelter Island, San Diego area. "Boston", which was really amazing and their set and sound system was phenomenal!! They are also giving proceeds from their concerts to Sea Shepherd and the Shriners. Pretty cool!! Another night, another concert! Who could miss Kenny Wayne Shepherd and Los Lonely Boys in one billing?! Certainly not us, so off we went to that one too. I was thinking we were on burn out mode, due to the fact that all that happened inside of two weeks, but I still hadn't heard "that song that I want to hear?!" Freebird.......

when, whaa-lah!!! (Ameri-bonics for "viola'"!!) Lynyrd Skynyrd comes to town and we just had to do it!! Despite the fact that it's not the original 70's guys, it was still pretty rock'en and we had a great time! Three days later, Mike and I were paying for it huge!! First I started with a sore throat and it felt like I had been kicked in the stomach, then stomped on in the neck and someone poured broken glass down my throat! I thought it couldn't get any worse and it did! Mike was kinda giving me a hard time, saying how he rarely gets sick and when he does, it comes and goes and he hardly notices it?! Well, guess again big guy!! He gets nailed with the flu?!! It did not come and go and he DID notice it and he scared the Hell out of me when his fever ran for almost three days, in and out of 102.5 degrees!! We were not sure what he had exactly?! I was googling "what's going around San Diego", we researched "Dengue Fever", "Chikungunya Fever", Malaria, and a variety of other exotic disease's! Last but not least, the West Nile Virus!! That appeared to match up with most symptoms, but there was never an actual diagnosis. Some symptoms would match, but nothing fit. I called a local "walk-in clinic" and this woman told me she could not even talk to me unless I was making an appointment and to walk through the door was $175.00!! An appointment?! I thought it was a walk in?! Whatever, thanks, but NO thanks!! After day six, it was clear that this affliction had manifested itself into a sinus infection. Thank goodness we had some antibiotics already with us and as soon as Mike started taking them, there was a huge difference in his status. I was already almost back to 100%. We were getting close to our limit stay at this great Marina and we were scrambling a bit to find a home for the next two weeks due to the impending Holiday that was quickly approaching! Labor Day weekend was not our friend. We made calls to several locations, yet.... It appeared we had the Baby Jesus syndrome and there was "no room at the Inn"?!


Santa Maria!

Hhhhhmmmmmm, you might ask, why Santa Maria? Her Hurricane name was Maria, yet she was a bit of a Saint for us....

What compounded the conundrum was, there was a Hurricane approaching from the South. Hurricane Maria. It wasn't supposed to touch land, but she bitched enough to cause concern with wind, current and waves! However our "guest slip" situation was timed out and our concern was that EVERYTHING was filling up for the damn Holiday weekend. Oddly enough, Maria's rage actually turned into some good fortune for us?! Boaters were canceling plans and the slips started opening up, but the race with time to get to the Marina that accepted us (out of the good nature of their heart) before the Coast Guard closed water access down, was closing fast. Mike and I tossed the lines and blew out of San Diego (literally!!) and headed North, back to Oceanside. The sea's were really confused, quick intervals and a wind swell coming from the South, with a ground swell coming from the West. No es bueno for my little girl, Miss Q!! Sooooooo sick! I had her up top, lots of air, in the shade! Pleading with her to drink some water!
We were on our way back to Oceanside. Not our first choice, but they are so nice to us and all the folks we have met there are super nice. There's a small SUP rental, that launches their rentals from the docks where we tie up. We have got to know them almost like family over the Summer and we always enjoy seeing our friend Greg, it is quite pleasant to stay there, always a great smile to greet you. (Hi Greg! :)

The current, even way inside the Marina was quite strong. We surged back and forth and side to side so hard that it flattened out all our fenders and we had to readjust the lines about every four to six hours for the next couple of
days. The winds picked up, but not as bad as we thought it was going to be. Where we were, was actually pretty protected from the wind. The slips were empty, the waves got bigger and we were only supposed to be there for two days?! While we were in the limbo state, we did little projects and then my friend from Dana Point surprise visited us! Yay!! Love that! I was kind of spinning in circles, trying to stay out of Mikes way, yet still stay busy, when her visit was very welcomed. She and I took off and went for a nice long walk on the beach and just had girl time. I forget how nice it is to just hang out sometimes. I had my good camera and was able to take pictures of some fun stuff. Maria was just beginning to get a little angry and the waves still had shape. So we walked out to the end if the pier and got all kinds of great shots. it was so nice, thanks Andy, I really needed my girlfriend, perfect timing. ;)

We were supposed to leave the next day?! Mike and I walked out to the Jetty area where you had a good view of the whole harbor mouth. There were six to eight foot waves breaking clear across the entrance. Hhhmmmm, probably not today? We'll come back later in the evening and check it out. We hiked back over to the Harbor Masters office and pleaded our case of weather delay and they were totally awesome about it! No problem!

Later that evening, Mike and I walked back out to the South Jetty. We knew the waves were supposed to be building, but wanted to get a visual on just what was coming through the Harbor. The waves really started building and it was HUGE!! As we walked out towards the end of the Jetty, the sun was getting ready to set, there was so much haze from the salt spray in the air, it lit the Horizon up for a beautiful sunset. Looking out towards the very end of the Jetty, I had to squint to be sure of what I was seeing? A lone teenager with a really short board was about to jump off the Jetty into what I can only describe as natures washing machine of under tow current from Hell. REALLY?!! Dude! It's getting dark, and you go out alone?! Not the sharpest knife in the drawer?! Some kids were behind us cheering him on and saying that it was "all cool and he knew what he was doing", when a big set came in and washed his narrow ass into some serious foamy soup! He couldn't see through all the foam and slosh. He kept trying to push himself up high off the board to get his bearings. He was spinning around in the eddies of the harbor entrance when he finally decided to commit to paddling in and end his futile quest for storm surf. He chose poorly. The wash had him now, he was getting dangerously close to the Jetty rocks with each surge. I knew he couldn't see exactly where he was going so I ran down the rocks a little closer to where he was headed, Mike started whistling as loud as he could, when he finally looked up and I could tell he could hear us and possibly see us. I was screaming over the top of the Oceans rage for him to "go way around!!!" Mike was whistling and we were pointing for him to paddle out and around, not straight in. He Shaka signed us and started paddling deep and hard. The sun was leaving the sky, the kids in back of us now have dubbed me "the cranky old lady of the Jetty" ( whateva!!!) but little surfer boy was now inside the cut, out of harms way and going home tonight to his family, whew!!!

So we turn around to go back to the boat and relax, when Einstein number Two jumps off the other side of the Jetty!! WTH??? He jumps right into the swirling rip current?!!! This nice couple were telling Mike that it was a Boogie Boarder with no wetsuit and NO fins, and ALONE!!! Seriously??!!! The sky was now light blue, with a violet band of color and another band of deep purple below it, just gracing the horizon line. Nightfall was eminent. We watched the struggling boogie boarder for about 15 seconds, before I decided to make the 911 call. This guy was going through some punishing wash and the current had him. He was getting smaller and smaller in our line of sight, as he was getting sucked out and headed towards the North Jetty. It's point is further out, he would either get pushed into the rocks or, if he managed around them, he would have been swept out to Sea. I told Mike not to take his eyes off of him, no matter what. I called 911, which was dispatched into the Harbor Patrol. I was able to talk them to, the Boogie Boarders exact location. The sky was a hue of purple and cobalt blue by now. The launch boat slowed at our position on the Jetty, I was still on the phone with the Dispatcher, Mike motioned in the direction of the distress and the boat throttled up, raced straight over to the Boogie Boarder and spun around him. We saw an arm reach down and with what I can only describe as super human strength, fling this guy into the back of the rescue launch and bolt back through the cut to get out of the way of this impending sneaker set, that they literally surfed in on. Geeeeeeeeeeze!! We were not anticipating all the drama!! Sooooooooo beer:30!!!
Comments
Vessel Name: Freebird
Vessel Make/Model: Jeanneau 43 DS
Hailing Port: Portland, Oregon
Crew: Mike & Kimber Hamilton
Social:
Freebird's Photos - Main
77 Photos
Created 21 November 2015
Before and after... Henny Penny (My African Grey Parrot) and I survived!
29 Photos
Created 24 September 2015
2015
5 Photos
Created 24 April 2015
Pictures of blog recipes
4 Photos
Created 11 January 2015
A one night stay, like right off the Movie set of an Alfred Hitchcock presentation!
10 Photos
Created 1 December 2014
6 Photos
Created 5 September 2014
Sunsets along the way 2014
12 Photos
Created 13 August 2014
Thought it was going to be 3 week?! Turned into 7!!
4 Photos
Created 27 March 2014