Wingin' It With Freebird

21 November 2015
17 September 2015 | US Virgin Islands
24 April 2015
23 November 2014
30 October 2014 | Catalina Islands
20 October 2014 | A leg up to Dana Point
13 October 2014 | San Diego
05 September 2014 | San Diego, back North.....a little
15 August 2014 | Leaving Oceanside
02 August 2014 | Oceanside, CA.
08 July 2014 | Woodstock, Vermont & Small Sea Port Towns
19 June 2014 | Dana Point, CA.
21 May 2014 | More Catalina!
19 May 2014
16 May 2014 | Dana Point

WTH?!! Part1

13 October 2014 | San Diego
Kimber

Wow! A month since we blogged last? Another action packed adventure has unfolded. Hurricane Maria calmed herself and it was time to head back out and back down South. Back for another "guest slip" stint at our new favorite marina! Yay!! Our leg down was a little fun leaving! The sea's still had some size, the cut to leave had some big roller waves coming through, so we slowed down, waited for the set of waves to pass and then took the deep side out. There were two big Troller boats behind us and another set of waves were moving towards us. We sliced through the growing swell's and looked behind us to see how the Troller's were going to take the waves. Our bow was up and out of the water by a few feet, to come back down with grace and dignity, cutting like a hot knife through butter! The Troller's did an all of the sudden, about face and ditched their effort to get out of the Channel. Their shallow draft and and big box like body's probably would have been a tad bit sketchy, running through those waves. They chose wisely!

It was a rough ride. Really confused sea's, choppy, choppy, choppy! I didn't want to say anything to Mike, but I wasn't feeling so hot. I felt really light headed and nauseous. I thought it was going to pass, a little something in the tum-tum and......NOPE!! I NEVER get sea sick! WTH?! Chuck'en it up over the side for about 20 minutes. I thought my eyes were going to pop out of my sockets and my sphincter was going to leave my body, via my mouth?!! I laid down in the cockpit and fell asleep for about 3 hours. Mike woke me up as we were coming into Point Loma, to ready the boat. Ugh!!! No es bueno, but I got'er done and we tied up only for me to yield a high fever for the next two days. A bit of a relapse?! What is this strange and wicked illness?! This too shall pass...

When it rains, it pours!!

I rise from the sweaty, nasty, icky-ness. The phone rings and there is another Family situation.... Plan altercation, but not eminent emergency mode.

Our volunteer group was having an event. We ask to help with the event. Request accepted.

Friend asks for help to rescue a dog. Well, it just so happens that Mike's parents, (the ones that we are planning on going to see, due to family "stuff") want to rescue this dog! Perfect!! We'll stop off in Malibu to pick up the dog and bring it up to the Bay Area!

First the volunteer event, (it's in Las Vegas), then the Bay Area. Okay! Looks like another road trip?! Rent-a-car, check! Miss Q in an SUV, check! My Cha-Cha, Carlos Santana platform high heel shoes in bag, check! On the road again...

The volunteer event went well for the group! It was a three day event. Mike got food poisoning the second day in, really ugly :O Seem's like we can't catch a brake?! WTH?! We missed some great stuff, a little bummed at that, but everything happens for a reason, right? Mike hasn't been able to keep anything down for over 40 hours. A high fever and I finally get him to sip some ginger ale down and then some water, when he announces that he is "hangry"!! Great, I have had NO sleep, due to his abdominal festivities!!! But hey! Let's get some food in ya, right?!

Down to the Casino floor we go. What starts screaming out at me as we pass through the sin and debauchery isle's of woe?! WHEEL OF FORTUNE!!! Oh for cry'en out loud!!! I had to feed the machine! $20 goes in...up $50, spin...up $80, spin...this goes on for about an hour. I'm freaking out! I was really up on the spins!! Mike forgot he was HANGRY, when the "cooler" shows up and rains bad juju on us. What's up with THAT?! Poor baby just sat there telling us about her family history of depression, failed attempts of suicide and mental health issues, WHOA!!! However, she sat there announcing to anyone in ear shot, how mentally healthy she was and how rich she was. She then grabs hold of her walker with the hand brakes and the tennis ball feet, to head for the Ladies room. Our luck had seemed to run out, so I tell Mike I have to go to the Ladies room and when I come back, we should probably get some food in him.

The ladies room drama!
I go in, duty is done, I start to leave, when I hear this woman sobbing in one of the stalls. (I forgot that the woman who professed excellent mental health had gone to the Ladies room before me!) my heart won't let me leave. I call out to her if I can get her some help or someone out in the Casino that she might be with I could call in for her?! She just screams at me, "I have a razor and I'm going to cut myself!!" WTH?!! Now I am NOT leaving and am committed to talking her out, or waiting the scene out so someone else walks in, so she is not left alone. The conversation is really random and sketchy from her, this goes on for about ten minutes before another woman walks in and I look her in the eye's, put my index finger over my mouth in the "shush" position and whisper for her to go get some help for a possible suicide. Within 30 seconds, there were employees in the restroom announcing their official presence and asking out loud, if everything was okay? Next thing you know, the woman in the stall, pops out. She nonchalantly states, "everything is fine, what's all the fuss about?!" She passes by and off she goes! Leaving ME holding the big bag of WTH with a side of "shut the "ef" up sauce on it!! Are you freaking kidding me?! I go back to where Mike is, to tell him the whole crazy shit storm story, when there she is, smoking and acting like nothing happened??? Uh, is it any wonder about the family history NOW??? WTH???!!!

Time to leave.

Leaving Las Vegas
Hot, dry, horrible fast food, dear lord, please get us out of here!! It seemed like forever to get back to the boat. Six hours on the boat for a quick sleep, then load the SUV up again for the ride up to the Bay Area. Mike was working the GPS, I was working the schedule to pick up the rescue dog. It worked out pretty well for the most part. A really heartbreaking scenario, but it was for the best in the end. There were tears and drama on the way up. Tears as we left our friends house, where we picked up the rescue and drama as the Diva dish, Miss Q, wasn't having it! WTH??? The poor little guy that we now had as our additional road trip member was actually doing pretty good, considering the circumstances involved. I was trying to keep him calm and at the same time, trying not to bond with him?! Is that even possible?! I was in love in the first hour. What a good boy. Great manners, so the cuddle-bunny and quiet, not sketchy....love, love, love :'( I wanted to keep him.

Almost ten hours on the road, dog tired (pardon the pun) and we get to Mike's Dads house....

Comments
Vessel Name: Freebird
Vessel Make/Model: Jeanneau 43 DS
Hailing Port: Portland, Oregon
Crew: Mike & Kimber Hamilton
Social:
Freebird's Photos - Main
77 Photos
Created 21 November 2015
Before and after... Henny Penny (My African Grey Parrot) and I survived!
29 Photos
Created 24 September 2015
2015
5 Photos
Created 24 April 2015
Pictures of blog recipes
4 Photos
Created 11 January 2015
A one night stay, like right off the Movie set of an Alfred Hitchcock presentation!
10 Photos
Created 1 December 2014
6 Photos
Created 5 September 2014
Sunsets along the way 2014
12 Photos
Created 13 August 2014
Thought it was going to be 3 week?! Turned into 7!!
4 Photos
Created 27 March 2014