Tregoning

12 April 2024 | We are back aboard Tregoning in Mersin Marina, Mersin, Türkiye
02 April 2024 | We are in Toronto Airport, Canada: Tregoning is in Mersin Marina, Mersin, Türkiye
25 February 2024 | We are back in Gainesville, FL: Tregoning is in Mersin Marina, Mersin, Türkiye
18 February 2024 | We are in Glenwood, New Mexico: Tregoning is in Mersin Marina, Mersin, Türkiye
12 February 2024 | We are in Morro Bay, California: Tregoning is in Mersin Marina, Mersin, Türkiye
19 January 2024 | We are in Vancouver, BC Canada: Tregoning is in Mersin Marina, Mersin, Türkiye
01 January 2024 | We are in Washington State: Tregoning is in Mersin Marina, Mersin, Türkiye
15 December 2023 | We are in Minnesota: Tregoning is in Mersin Marina, Mersin, Türkiye
18 November 2023 | We are in Florida: Tregoning is in Mersin Marina, Mersin, Türkiye
29 October 2023 | We're in Florida - Tregoning is at B-dock, Mersin Marina, Mersin, Türkiye
21 October 2023 | 7 Oda Kapadokya Cave Hotel, Ürgüp, Türkiye
14 October 2023 | Hotel Aşikoğlu, Boğazkale, Türkiye
07 October 2023 | B-dock, Mersin Marina, Mersin, Türkiye
19 September 2023 | “Chez Jon & Angela”, Near Otterton, Devon, UK
14 September 2023 | Airbnb in Fortuneswell on the Isle of Portland, Dorset, UK
11 September 2023 | With Mike, Grange-over-Sands, Cumbria, UK
03 September 2023 | Ardington House, Ardington, Oxfordshire, UK
24 August 2023 | Near "Chez Joan and Peter", College of Roseisle, Moray, Scotland
11 August 2023 | Andrew's house (not exactly), Lichfield, UK
22 July 2023 | Chez Gail, near the New York Café, Budapest, Hungary

What a difference a day makes

23 November 2013 | Cruiseport Village Marina, Ensenada, Mexico
Photo: A truly massive Mexican flag flies over the harbor at Ensenada, Mexico
From November 21st in Chula Vista to November 23rd in Ensenada:

1. From being exhausted from rushing to finish installing new fuel/water separator and filter and numerous other last-minute tasks to waking refreshed and contemplating what fun things would we like to do (or not) today.
2. From anxious about making the break from being constantly connected by cell-phone and internet to feeling relaxed about not needing to deal with online stuff for a couple of weeks.
3. From being rather intimidated about having all the correct papers for the complicated-sounding process to check-in to Mexico and remembering to request all of the necessary permits, etc., to having all of the Mexican paperwork (well, almost everything) completed smoothly and easily.
4. From being unusual in the marina as long-term cruisers (Alison was invited to talk to a group of sailors at Chula Vista about provisioning) to being surrounded by cruisers on large, well prepared boats from all over the Pacific.
5. From being in an America town where many people speak good Spanish to being in a Mexican town where many people speak good English.
6. From a morning of thick clouds and rain showers to a bright, sunny new day.

We left Chula Vista Marina at 1 pm on Thursday and motor-sailed through San Diego Bay in scattered rain showers. A large submarine followed us out of the harbor entrance (if we had been 30 minutes later we would have had to wait for it to clear the area first) and we set off sailing to the south. The winds were not NW 10-15 knots as forecast so after an hour we furled the jib and motor-sailed again aiming south between the mainland and Los Coronados islands.

As we crossed the international border, just after 6 pm, on the land I could see a fence separating the USA and Mexico, with large floodlights illuminating the deserted American side. By contrast, in Tijuana and Rosarito, there were all sorts of lights, monuments, flags, and fireworks. We managed to sail for most of the night but the lumpy swell and light winds frequently caused the boom and jib sheets to slacken then bang back into place, making for very disturbed sleep. However, the skies were clearing by the time we entered Bahía Todos Santos (All Saints Bay) and our excitement at approaching Ensenada kept us both awake in the cockpit.

Before we left San Deigo, we called to make a reservation at Cruiseport Village Marina and were assigned slip D31. On calling the marina by VHF we were informed that another boat had taken D31 so we were to go to D24. As we passed D31 we recognized Thalassi and when we met Will in the Marina office we teased him about taking “our” slip. He had arrived the previous afternoon and had endured a similarly lumpy passage.

That day the marina lived-up to its name because it was overshadowed on two sides by huge cruise-ships, most of the passengers of which were ashore either buying last-minute gifts before returning to the USA or grabbing their first Mexican bargains as they started their trip south. Our day was occupied by checking-in to Mexico and catching-up on our sleep. The former process was much aided by the pair of excellent marina officers, Enriqué and Jonathan who (as part of the very reasonable marina fee): helped prepare all of our paperwork; drove us to the Centro Integral de Servicios; marshalled us through the offices of Migración (immigration), Capitán de Puerto (Port Captain), Fisheries, and Aduana (Customs); and answered numerous questions with great charm despite undoubtedly being asked these same questions day after day by other cruisers. We could have coped with all of the paperwork on our own, traipsing around the offices and communicating in our halting Spanish (as we had done in Panama) but having Ensenada’s Central Integrated Office and Enriqué to guide us, made the process much more efficient and painless.

After long naps and tidying up the cabin, we walked into town with Will and enjoyed a couple of beers and some nachos. The streets were much quieter now that the cruise-ships had left and all of the street stalls had been packed away but wandering flower vendors were still keen to try to sell Randall and Will a rose “for the beautiful lady”…which is always good for the ego. We will stay in Ensenada until Sunday morning and then we will scurry south towards La Paz.

The only surprise during in our check-in process was that we have only a 30-day permit to enter the country which allows us just 15 days to get to La Paz and start the process for receiving our 4-year, temporary resident permit (the process we started in San Francisco). Luckily another cruiser, Steve, had warned us on the dock that they were stuck in Ensenada for 30-days awaiting their temporary resident permit, having not realized that once the process is started in Mexico you cannot move port until it is finished. Pre-warned we, thus, asked to start the process in La Paz where we will meet Martha in mid-December and stay for several weeks anyway.

It is about 900 nm or 8 days and nights of sailing to La Paz so we will not be able to dally much on the way. The weather looks good for the beginning of the week so we should be able to leave on Sunday and sail most of the way along Baja California until the wind fades and we have to motor around the south end…of course, the forecasts will have changed by then and we will deal with what comes up once we set-off. In the meantime, we will wander around Ensenada a little more, eat a few fish tacos (the most popular fast-food here), and we will drink some margaritas and toast to being in Mexico, to the health and future happiness of our recently bereaved friend Nancy, and to our fond memories of Jere.
Comments
Vessel Name: Tregoning
Vessel Make/Model: Morgan Classic 41
Hailing Port: Gainesville, FL
Crew: Alison and Randall
About: We cast-off from Fernandina Beach in north Florida on 1st June 2008 and we have been cruising on Tregoning ever since. Before buying Tregoning, both of us had been sailing on smaller boats for many years and had worked around boats and water throughout our careers.
Extra: “Tregoning” (rhymes with “belonging”) and is a Cornish word (meaning “homestead of Cohnan” or “farm by the ash trees”) and was Alison's mother’s middle name. Cornwall is in southwest England and is where Alison grew-up.
Tregoning's Photos - Main
50 Photos
Created 2 January 2024
225 Photos
Created 2 February 2023
323 Photos
Created 26 June 2022
245 Photos
Created 12 October 2021
307 Photos
Created 15 May 2021
181 Photos
Created 13 December 2020
295 Photos
Created 25 July 2020
100 Photos
Created 30 June 2020
The Sailblogs Prequel: Adding old posts from expired blog
166 Photos
Created 26 May 2020
252 Photos
Created 6 January 2020
172 Photos
Created 17 August 2019
294 Photos
Created 29 April 2019
277 Photos
Created 5 November 2018
334 Photos
Created 3 July 2018
213 Photos
Created 29 January 2018
94 Photos
Created 15 October 2017
190 Photos
Created 21 June 2017
73 Photos
Created 12 February 2017
116 Photos
Created 12 February 2017
132 Photos
Created 24 January 2017
Extra photographs from our three-week campervan tour of the South Island from November 15th to December 5th 2015
217 Photos
Created 4 January 2016
Random pictures from our month spent on the islands of Hiva Oa, Tahuata, Ua Pou, and Nuku Hiva
45 Photos
Created 18 July 2015
Random pictures from our month spent in 4 Tuamotu Atolls; Ahe, Fakarava, Tahanea, and Toau
32 Photos
Created 1 July 2015
Some of the birds, fish, reptiles, and mammals (and others) that we have seen in Mexico
74 Photos
Created 5 May 2014
18 Photos
Created 18 November 2013