Tregoning

12 April 2024 | We are back aboard Tregoning in Mersin Marina, Mersin, Türkiye
02 April 2024 | We are in Toronto Airport, Canada: Tregoning is in Mersin Marina, Mersin, Türkiye
25 February 2024 | We are back in Gainesville, FL: Tregoning is in Mersin Marina, Mersin, Türkiye
18 February 2024 | We are in Glenwood, New Mexico: Tregoning is in Mersin Marina, Mersin, Türkiye
12 February 2024 | We are in Morro Bay, California: Tregoning is in Mersin Marina, Mersin, Türkiye
19 January 2024 | We are in Vancouver, BC Canada: Tregoning is in Mersin Marina, Mersin, Türkiye
01 January 2024 | We are in Washington State: Tregoning is in Mersin Marina, Mersin, Türkiye
15 December 2023 | We are in Minnesota: Tregoning is in Mersin Marina, Mersin, Türkiye
18 November 2023 | We are in Florida: Tregoning is in Mersin Marina, Mersin, Türkiye
29 October 2023 | We're in Florida - Tregoning is at B-dock, Mersin Marina, Mersin, Türkiye
21 October 2023 | 7 Oda Kapadokya Cave Hotel, Ürgüp, Türkiye
14 October 2023 | Hotel Aşikoğlu, Boğazkale, Türkiye
07 October 2023 | B-dock, Mersin Marina, Mersin, Türkiye
19 September 2023 | “Chez Jon & Angela”, Near Otterton, Devon, UK
14 September 2023 | Airbnb in Fortuneswell on the Isle of Portland, Dorset, UK
11 September 2023 | With Mike, Grange-over-Sands, Cumbria, UK
03 September 2023 | Ardington House, Ardington, Oxfordshire, UK
24 August 2023 | Near "Chez Joan and Peter", College of Roseisle, Moray, Scotland
11 August 2023 | Andrew's house (not exactly), Lichfield, UK
22 July 2023 | Chez Gail, near the New York Café, Budapest, Hungary

Moving right along...

13 July 2016 | Tregoning is in Whangarei Town Basin Marina, Whangarei, New Zealand but we are back in Olympia, WA
Photo: Three female and one male rufous hummingbirds on Parker Island
My lack of posts on the blog have not been for lack of cool places visited, good stories to tell, spectacular scenery to show, or wonderful people to acknowledge, but simply because of a lack of time to actually sit-down and write. Eventually, I hope to fill in some gaps with, at least, more photos, but with only a week to go until we fly to Britain for six weeks, it is difficult to imagine that I will be able to do this anytime soon. But I will now snatch the opportunity to review our travels over the last six weeks.

British Columbia: We took a ferry from Tsawwassen to Vancouver Island where we joined Judith and Harry on SV Vahana for a delightful ride from the boatyard back to their mooring and gorgeous water-front house at Parker Island (Canadian Gulf Islands).



Lindy and Al in the woods

Lummi Island (off Bellingham, WA): Spent six fabulous days glamping (glamor-camping) with Lindy and Al at their amazing property with their house (rented-out), Al's huge fine-furniture workshop, a two-queen-size-bed pop-up-camper, and incredible outdoor but covered kitchen and dining area. It is not often that we have had deer in the kitchen with us. Excellent party, hiking, and time spent with good friends.



Lindy, Al, and Randall in the outdoor kitchen with a deer grazing just beyond




Sarah enjoying the window seat in her new bedroom

Bellingham to Seattle, WA: Delicious brunch with Gretchen and Terry in Bellingham on our way to Seattle where we admired the beautiful extension to Sarah and Brian's house overlooking Puget Sound. They showed us a wonderful time in the city with trips to Pike Place Market, up to the dramatic views from the 73rd floor of the Columbia Center, guided around the UW Arboretum where Sarah is the director, and touring a chocolate factory in Fremont (many yummy samples and purchases). A lovely, whistle-stop visit with Karen and Mike in their soon-to-be expanded house overlooking Lake Washington, following lunch with niece Ellie and husband Alex, and our first opportunity to meet two-month old August.



Alex, baby August, and Ellie

Lakewood, WA: After visiting the Chittenden Locks and reminiscing about our sabbatical in Seattle in 2005 when we lived in our boat, Steda Rings, in a marina just upstream of the locks, we drove to Lakewood (south of Tacoma). Here we had the most delicious dinner with Monique, Rod, Owen, and Claire who are friends that we made in Nuchatlitz, on the west coast of Vancouver Island, in 2013.



Rod, Owen, Claire, and Monique

Olympia, WA: This brought us to the generous hospitality of Jan and Michael's wonderful home. Here we could gather our wits, enjoy some wine-tasting with friends, make my half-marathon run, and celebrate Father's Day at an outstanding Italian Restaurant.

Portland, OR: Heading south again, we stopped in Portland to visit the city's famous International Rose Test Garden (in full, magnificent bloom) and to enjoy lunch with Crysta, a former colleague of ours at UF, who has just started a PhD program at Portland State University. The following day we were very pleased to manage to coordinate lunch in Davis, CA, with Lars, a colleague from our days of working in aquatic plant management.



Mount Shasta, just south of the Oregon/California border as seen from a brief stop at Castle Crags

San Jose and Bakersfield, CA: It was marvelous to see Martha walking so confidently and with no concerns about the continued healing of her hip. Our stay with her was brief because we all set-off again the next day for Bakersfield, which did not have the most absorbing of city centers. The attraction for us was a huge party to celebrate the 55th wedding anniversary of cousins, Martha and Rick. Randall and (sister) Martha had an excellent time visiting with their many relatives there while I did my best to remember their extensive family-tree.

Jackson Hole, Montana: After returning Martha to San Jose, we took-off towards the northeast and spent a delightful night in Jackson Hole with niece Calla, husband Matt, and their super-enthusiastic three-year-old Theo. This was a first-time visit for me and the central square of Jackson, with its arches of elk antlers (shed annually), was absolutely packed with other tourists. On our way north from there, we drove through the Grand Teton and Yellowstone National Parks. The latter was a second visit for us but we had never been into the Grand Teton Park before and the weather was absolutely perfect with sunshine and a few puffy white clouds. In addition to the marvelous scenery, we saw antelope, bison, elk, and deer.



Randall plays a locally-made, prototype Gibson guitar while Cousin Jim looks on

Bozeman, MT: From the National Parks we ended-up in Bozeman where we spent a splendid couple of evenings with Randall's cousin Jim. Amongst other things in Bozeman, we visited an impressive guitar-store, learned about dinosaur bones at the Museum of the Rockies, and admired the musical skill of Jim and his friend Alice.

Missoula, MT: We left Bozeman via the Missouri Headwaters State Park (a bonus for Randall's interest in the Lewis and Clark expedition) and the attractive gravel road and roaring waterfall along the Skalkaho Pass. Our biggest surprise in Missoula was that our hosts there, (former graduate-student) Todd and Ev, were the proud parents of three-month-old twins. Our arrival seemed like a terrible imposition on their new family but they were the most relaxed and gracious hosts, and seemed genuinely happy to see us. We spent a wonderful couple of nights in their huge house and thoroughly enjoyed a day in Missoula with Todd's parents who were helping out for a few weeks. As typical for any visit with Todd, a cutthroat game of croquet ensued.



A herd of bison (a.k.a. buffalo) fording a river at the National Bison Range in western Montana

Coeur d'Alene, ID: July 4th was spent in the cheerful company of Tom, Karen, family, and friends including an extensive parade and a grand firework display over the lake, as seen from Tom's boat in the marina. We marveled at Karen's ability to calmly feed what must have been at least 20 visitors strolling in and out of their house, and we got to experience the convenience of using Uber for the first time. On the way to Idaho, we had driven the loop-road in the National Bison Range, where we were incredibly lucky to have the perfect viewpoint to watch the herd approach and ford a river before crossing the road ahead of us.



Jessica and Suki

Spokane, WA: Crossing back into Washington State, we stayed in Spokane with niece Jessica, Patrick, and their wonderfully charming three-year-old, Suki, including watching Patrick's last softball game of the season. We also went up Mount Spokane to admire the views, for me to run downhill for a few miles (luxury!), and to stay with Jessica's parents, Yvonne and Jay, at their beautiful mountainside house. We briefly chatted with niece MacKenzie and bestowed our sympathy on niece Lindsey who was confined home with a back-brace after undergoing back surgery. We hope that she makes a quick and full recovery.



Ground squirrel and bear-grass flower on Mount Spokane

Windermere, FL: While Randall helped Patrick and Jessica rig, and take on a maiden sailing voyage, their MacGregor 26 sailboat, I flew to Florida to attend a Celebration of the Life of Wendy. It was a marvelous event with at least 350 people showing their affection for Wendy, with several heartfelt reminiscences from family and friends, and many poignant mementos and photographs of a foreshortened life that was filled with good works and a truly generous heart. Before and after the gathering, I was made most welcome by Michael and Wendy's family, which certainly helped to ease the sadness that was inevitable when having to finally accept the fact that someone really has gone.



Anna, Randall, and Ian enjoy their waterside cocktails

Shelton, WA: We enjoyed a brief stay and hike with Anna and Ian on the Olympic Peninsula, before they head to Brazil for the Rio Olympic Games at which they will both be working in broadcasting.



From the Rapids Bridge on the North Fork of the Skokomish River, Olympic Peninsula

Olympia, WA: Back in the comforting sanctuary of Jan and Michael's house, I have been nursing (and trying to contain) a nasty little cold. I am sincerely hoping that I do not pass it along to anyone else and especially that I am over it, and Randall does not catch it, before our trip to the UK starts on Wednesday. So far, so good. We would hate for anything to slow us down as we continue our race around our kind and much-appreciated family and friends.



Container ship in Puget Sound with the Olympic Mountains beyond seen from Sarah and Brian’s house in Seattle
Comments
Vessel Name: Tregoning
Vessel Make/Model: Morgan Classic 41
Hailing Port: Gainesville, FL
Crew: Alison and Randall
About: We cast-off from Fernandina Beach in north Florida on 1st June 2008 and we have been cruising on Tregoning ever since. Before buying Tregoning, both of us had been sailing on smaller boats for many years and had worked around boats and water throughout our careers.
Extra: “Tregoning” (rhymes with “belonging”) and is a Cornish word (meaning “homestead of Cohnan” or “farm by the ash trees”) and was Alison's mother’s middle name. Cornwall is in southwest England and is where Alison grew-up.
Tregoning's Photos - Main
50 Photos
Created 2 January 2024
225 Photos
Created 2 February 2023
323 Photos
Created 26 June 2022
245 Photos
Created 12 October 2021
307 Photos
Created 15 May 2021
181 Photos
Created 13 December 2020
295 Photos
Created 25 July 2020
100 Photos
Created 30 June 2020
The Sailblogs Prequel: Adding old posts from expired blog
166 Photos
Created 26 May 2020
252 Photos
Created 6 January 2020
172 Photos
Created 17 August 2019
294 Photos
Created 29 April 2019
277 Photos
Created 5 November 2018
334 Photos
Created 3 July 2018
213 Photos
Created 29 January 2018
94 Photos
Created 15 October 2017
190 Photos
Created 21 June 2017
73 Photos
Created 12 February 2017
116 Photos
Created 12 February 2017
132 Photos
Created 24 January 2017
Extra photographs from our three-week campervan tour of the South Island from November 15th to December 5th 2015
217 Photos
Created 4 January 2016
Random pictures from our month spent on the islands of Hiva Oa, Tahuata, Ua Pou, and Nuku Hiva
45 Photos
Created 18 July 2015
Random pictures from our month spent in 4 Tuamotu Atolls; Ahe, Fakarava, Tahanea, and Toau
32 Photos
Created 1 July 2015
Some of the birds, fish, reptiles, and mammals (and others) that we have seen in Mexico
74 Photos
Created 5 May 2014
18 Photos
Created 18 November 2013