Tregoning

12 April 2024 | We are back aboard Tregoning in Mersin Marina, Mersin, Türkiye
02 April 2024 | We are in Toronto Airport, Canada: Tregoning is in Mersin Marina, Mersin, Türkiye
25 February 2024 | We are back in Gainesville, FL: Tregoning is in Mersin Marina, Mersin, Türkiye
18 February 2024 | We are in Glenwood, New Mexico: Tregoning is in Mersin Marina, Mersin, Türkiye
12 February 2024 | We are in Morro Bay, California: Tregoning is in Mersin Marina, Mersin, Türkiye
19 January 2024 | We are in Vancouver, BC Canada: Tregoning is in Mersin Marina, Mersin, Türkiye
01 January 2024 | We are in Washington State: Tregoning is in Mersin Marina, Mersin, Türkiye
15 December 2023 | We are in Minnesota: Tregoning is in Mersin Marina, Mersin, Türkiye
18 November 2023 | We are in Florida: Tregoning is in Mersin Marina, Mersin, Türkiye
29 October 2023 | We're in Florida - Tregoning is at B-dock, Mersin Marina, Mersin, Türkiye
21 October 2023 | 7 Oda Kapadokya Cave Hotel, Ürgüp, Türkiye
14 October 2023 | Hotel Aşikoğlu, Boğazkale, Türkiye
07 October 2023 | B-dock, Mersin Marina, Mersin, Türkiye
19 September 2023 | “Chez Jon & Angela”, Near Otterton, Devon, UK
14 September 2023 | Airbnb in Fortuneswell on the Isle of Portland, Dorset, UK
11 September 2023 | With Mike, Grange-over-Sands, Cumbria, UK
03 September 2023 | Ardington House, Ardington, Oxfordshire, UK
24 August 2023 | Near "Chez Joan and Peter", College of Roseisle, Moray, Scotland
11 August 2023 | Andrew's house (not exactly), Lichfield, UK
22 July 2023 | Chez Gail, near the New York Café, Budapest, Hungary

Life in the big city

20 March 2017 | Westhaven Marina, Auckland, New Zealand
Photo: The Sky Tower, downtown Auckland, and one of many ferries as seen from the water
Although we originally intended to stay at the marina in Auckland for only three nights, it cannot possibly surprise anyone to learn that will we end-up staying here for a week. Other than the expense (and at around NZ $30 per night it is no worse than the boatyard), we really like the Westhaven Marina which seems to be run very efficiently. The oldest marina in New Zealand, with more than 1,400 berths, it is not surprising that Westhaven claims to be the largest marina in the southern hemisphere. It is located at the south end of the Auckland Harbour Bridge and is within a 45-minute walk (20-minute bike-ride) of the heart of the city. With four yacht clubs based in the marina, there are no shortage of sailing races to watch during the summer evenings.



Dinghies line the dock near the pile-moorings in Westhaven Marina, Auckland

A couple of days after we arrived on Tuesday (March 14th), Scott from Advanced Trident Ltd., visited Tregoning to look over the equipment that they had sold us (more than a year ago) to fix and update our electronic autopilot (Otto). He drew some wiring diagrams, noted the extra items that he would drop-off that afternoon, and gave various inevitable and fateful “you JUST have to…” instructions and departed.

For the next several days, with some wailing and gnashing of teeth, Randall removed the old equipment and installed the new. It was not so much the various ‘black boxes’ that caused problems but having to remove and install the associated wiring which runs under the floor, through the engine-room, and under our bed for most of the length of the boat. The worst were the cables that go up tubes in the binnacle to the chart-plotter and other cockpit instruments. To fit the new cable with its connector at the end, up these tubes, we had to removed four other cables and then reinstall them (using strings to pull the cables back through), none of which wanted to move without protest.

By the time Randall had finished all of this frustrating work, the new instruments mostly seem to be working correctly but we will know for sure, and hopefully sort out the last of their problems, when we go out for a sea-trial with Scott tomorrow (Tuesday). It will be good to have Otto back in operation so that we do not have to hand-steer when we are motoring (Susie-New only deigns to steer when we are sailing).

Annoyingly for poor Randall, no sooner was this project complete than we found that one of our bilge-pumps was not working. It took a while to work-out that it was a bad switch but, luckily, we are close to one of the densest clusters of marine suppliers in the world, so it was not difficult to get a replacement.

Other than helping with pulling cables through the boat and switching pumps on and off, I have mostly been walking and biking around Auckland getting supplies, and using the free WiFi. The marina has also been an excellent place from which to run and bike, with paths along the redeveloped harbor front for many miles. One evening, we walked along the waterfront to the main ferry terminal, took a 10-minute ferry ride north to Devonport, and met Carla and Harry. Like Randall, they are alumni of San Luis Obispo High School and we had talked to them about their apartment in New Zealand at the 50th High School Reunion in September.

Harry and Carla generously treated us to a delicious dinner at a lovely restaurant near Devonport’s ferry terminal and it was fun to talk about their several years of cruising that was a little grander than us, with crew in a 90 foot (27 m) sailing yacht. We were very lucky to catch them as they were returning the following day to their house in Hawai`i. The ferry ride back after dark was delightful, especially as the city’s Sky Tower was floodlit in green for St Patrick’s Day.

Another evening was the “White Night” in Auckland in which free arts events were held in various venues. We cycled to the New Zealand Maritime Museum on the waterfront and looked at one of the art installations about immigration. We also had a quick look around the museum which has particularly interesting exhibits on early Polynesian sailing and about the boats that won the America’s Cup for New Zealand in 1995.



Former America’s Cup race-boats (back when they were monohulls) on an evening charter pass under the Auckland Harbour Bridge

If all goes well with the sea trial tomorrow, we will leave Auckland and return to exploring some of the Hauraki Gulf islands. I am particularly keen to visit Tiritiri Matangi because it has a particularly diverse bird fauna including several rare species. If we see the saddleback there, I may be saved from hiking up Rangitoto’s summit again. However, the anchorage at Tiritiri Matangi is small and is not sheltered from southly and westerly winds (as we have at the moment) so we may be exploring some other anchorages first. We have about another month before we have to start planning our trip to Tonga so, assuming that the weather cooperates, we have some time.
Comments
Vessel Name: Tregoning
Vessel Make/Model: Morgan Classic 41
Hailing Port: Gainesville, FL
Crew: Alison and Randall
About: We cast-off from Fernandina Beach in north Florida on 1st June 2008 and we have been cruising on Tregoning ever since. Before buying Tregoning, both of us had been sailing on smaller boats for many years and had worked around boats and water throughout our careers.
Extra: “Tregoning” (rhymes with “belonging”) and is a Cornish word (meaning “homestead of Cohnan” or “farm by the ash trees”) and was Alison's mother’s middle name. Cornwall is in southwest England and is where Alison grew-up.
Tregoning's Photos - Main
50 Photos
Created 2 January 2024
225 Photos
Created 2 February 2023
323 Photos
Created 26 June 2022
245 Photos
Created 12 October 2021
307 Photos
Created 15 May 2021
181 Photos
Created 13 December 2020
295 Photos
Created 25 July 2020
100 Photos
Created 30 June 2020
The Sailblogs Prequel: Adding old posts from expired blog
166 Photos
Created 26 May 2020
252 Photos
Created 6 January 2020
172 Photos
Created 17 August 2019
294 Photos
Created 29 April 2019
277 Photos
Created 5 November 2018
334 Photos
Created 3 July 2018
213 Photos
Created 29 January 2018
94 Photos
Created 15 October 2017
190 Photos
Created 21 June 2017
73 Photos
Created 12 February 2017
116 Photos
Created 12 February 2017
132 Photos
Created 24 January 2017
Extra photographs from our three-week campervan tour of the South Island from November 15th to December 5th 2015
217 Photos
Created 4 January 2016
Random pictures from our month spent on the islands of Hiva Oa, Tahuata, Ua Pou, and Nuku Hiva
45 Photos
Created 18 July 2015
Random pictures from our month spent in 4 Tuamotu Atolls; Ahe, Fakarava, Tahanea, and Toau
32 Photos
Created 1 July 2015
Some of the birds, fish, reptiles, and mammals (and others) that we have seen in Mexico
74 Photos
Created 5 May 2014
18 Photos
Created 18 November 2013