Trilogy: a sailing saga

17 April 2024 | Split Croatia
15 April 2024 | Tucepi
12 April 2024 | U Bataia
17 August 2023
13 June 2023 | Amalfi
13 June 2023 | Amalfi

Polace

20 July 2013 | Miljet Island, Croatia
Ros Brice
The sea was very calm with very little breeze so we motored with the headsail from Lastovo Island to Miljet Island, reminiscing about our time in Skrivena Luka.

When collecting the bread from Porto Rosso Konoba and pausing for a coffee in the morning calm, John and Ros had the opportunity to interact with a family group of grandfather (very fit), daughter and granddaughter (aged 3). The child was being spoilt by a self confessed doting granddad and mum was feeling cheated that the little one was too demanding and she couldn't enjoy her coffee in peace....sounds so familiar! The trio were living on board a yacht for the summer at the jetty and granddad was employed for the first time looking after the yachts and crews when they visit. There are good facilities (including laundry) in this unexpected location, and it was explained that that grandma is an architect and has designed much of the lovely outdoor facilities. When he first visited 40 years ago, there was only the original two storey building and he has visited as a guest every summer since. There are plans for ecotourism, with small cottages up on the hill and vegetable patches for the guests to source their food. Porto Rosso Konoba is dedicated to using local produce only and of high quality. We found ourselves reflecting on what a great find and lovely memories of a shared conversation.

We approached Miljet, an island described as ' the most seductive' .....that description got us! The northwestern half of the island forms Miljet National Park, where the lush vegetation, pine forests and spectacular saltwater lakes are beautiful. We call into the seaside town of Pomena, a very pretty fishing port and dominated by a white three storey hotel of pleasing design (we have an architect on board passing comment!), that wrapped around the entrance to the quay.

Opposite, there is a lineup of Konoba and the staff are waiting on the quayside, competing to beckon you to come and tie up for free, with the condition you eat at their restaurant. We have not done this yet and we have a preference for not starting now. If we choose to eat a restaurant meal, we like to do our research (Trip Advisor is a good starting point) but we also like the privacy, freedom to dive overboard to swim and the tranquility that comes with an anchorage. There were a few yachts using stern ropes to hold their position on the other side of the bay, but we decided that as much as Pomena looked quite lovely, we would investigate Polače, around a narrow peninsula, as a more suitable place to stay for a couple of nights.

The settlement of Polače lies in a deep, well-sheltered bay with a large and beautiful anchorage reminiscent of Pittwater (NSW), with deep folding wooded slopes, but with none of the familiar yellow Hawkesbury sandstone, instead the omnipresent whitish limestone. We eyed off many luxury yachts as we manoeuvred Trilogy safely into position for anchorage. From a magnificent looking French registered schooner came an Aussie yell 'did you buy your yacht from Ian Treleaven?', to which the skipper called 'affirmative'. That is not quite true, but Ian and his wife Andrea, who have spent endless summers cruising the Med in a Beneteau 50 yacht 'Cadiz', were pivotal in reassuring us in Rushcutters Bay over coffee in 2011, that the adventure we were planning would be all that we hoped for....and the rest is history. We didn't get another chance to speak to this Aussie, more is the pity as we would have welcomed a closer look at the stylish schooner.

With the heat hitting us when we anchored, it was time for some laps around Trilogy in the cooling waters. The National Park staff greeted us warmly to collect park fees and sell the virtues of the pristine environment. The Yahtzee competition continued while Garth and Ros motored ashore to stretch the legs, check out hire cars and get more 'lemon beer' a new taste sensation we have come to enjoy. Kat was happy to cook a tasty pasta dish and before long another day was over.

Hiring a car through Mini Brum was no problem and before we knew it we were kitted out in a two door red Volkswagen Golf convertible, with a slipping clutch and worn brakes. We headed for the inland saltwater lakes and Benedictine Monastery, situated on an islet in the middle of Veliko Jezero, the larger lake. The monastery was built in the 12th century and was rebuilt several times  before being abandoned in 1869. Today it is undergoing some restoration and houses a lovely restaurant by the water. From here we toured the full length of Mljet Island and swam at Saplunara, a rare sandy beach at the southern end of Mljet. The Beach Bar blasted James Blunt 'What We've Got is Gold' which was not lost on us as we sipped 'Sex on the Beach' cocktails.

Heading back to Polače we were in search of the elusive blue grotto of 'Ulysses Cave'. So many of our attempts had to be aborted and finally we realised it was a goat track that would lead us to 'Ulysses'! In the heat, we settled for a several kilometre drive down a new road that must have cost a fortune to build, leading us to Uvala Sutmiholjska, a secluded cove with quite a few swimmers enjoying the relief from the heat. We could only guess that a resort was planned for this gentle cove.

In Polače by 7pm, we returned to Trilogy for a swim at sunset and a relax before heading into town for a wild boar and gnocchi feast at Ankora Konoba. With the sun long gone to bed, we headed back to Trilogy, very satisfied with our day.
Vessel Name: Trilogy
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau Oceanis 54
Hailing Port: Sydney, Australia
Crew: Owners: Garth & Rosalind Brice; Steven & Irene Ring; Peter & Susan Lucey; Paul & Sue Jones: Previous partners: John & Myra Rowling; Rick Scott-Murphy & Susan Alexander
About: The crew all live in Canberra, Australia and have raced and cruised together in the Canberra Ocean Racing Club.
Extra: Trilogy cruised through the Mediterranean for four seasons before crossing the Atlantic with the ARC to the Caribbean. Following three seasons in the Caribbean we sailed back across the Atlantic in 2018 and are now continuing to cruise in the Med.
Trilogy's Photos - Main
With Trilogy securely berthed in Cavalaier Sur Mer the crew took the 30 minute bus trip north to St Tropez and rubbed shoulders with the rich and famous.
4 Photos
Created 13 May 2019
6 Photos
Created 10 October 2014
11 Photos
Created 9 October 2014
10 Photos
Created 9 October 2014
9 Photos
Created 9 October 2014
6 Photos
Created 9 October 2014
6 Photos
Created 2 October 2014
5 Photos
Created 30 September 2014
8 Photos
Created 30 September 2014
5 Photos
Created 28 September 2014
9 Photos
Created 28 September 2014
12 Photos
Created 28 September 2014
14 Photos
Created 24 September 2014
4 Photos
Created 23 September 2014
8 Photos
Created 21 September 2014
35 Photos
Created 20 September 2014
21 Photos
Created 19 September 2014
Turkey
2 Photos
Created 14 July 2014
Turkey
21 Photos
Created 12 July 2014
Turkey
14 Photos
Created 11 July 2014
Skipper Garth Brice
4 Photos
Created 9 July 2014
1 Photo
Created 7 July 2014
Skipper: Garth Brice
1 Photo
Created 7 July 2014
Skipper: Garth Brice
1 Photo
Created 7 July 2014
21 Photos
Created 12 June 2014
29 Photos
Created 31 May 2014
35 Photos
Created 31 May 2014
49 Photos
Created 29 May 2014
49 Photos
Created 29 May 2014
29 Photos
Created 29 May 2014
13 Photos
Created 12 May 2014
17 Photos
Created 12 May 2014
19 Photos
Created 12 May 2014
18 Photos
Created 12 May 2014
17 Photos
Created 12 May 2014
15 Photos
Created 12 May 2014
19 Photos
Created 12 May 2014
20 Photos
Created 6 April 2014
10 Photos
Created 6 October 2013
20 Photos
Created 26 September 2013
12 Photos
Created 26 September 2013
22 Photos
Created 15 September 2013
15 Photos
Created 15 September 2013
13 Photos
Created 15 September 2013
10 Photos
Created 15 September 2013
20 Photos
Created 10 September 2013
19 Photos
Created 10 September 2013
21 Photos
Created 10 September 2013
10 Photos
Created 10 September 2013
6 Photos
Created 5 August 2013
14 Photos
Created 5 August 2013
16 Photos
Created 5 August 2013
The jewel of the Adriatic
20 Photos
Created 26 July 2013
Largely of Diocletan's palace
29 Photos
Created 23 July 2013
Covers Garth and Ros' sweep along the Croatian Dalmation coast and through the Croatian islands in June/July 2013
70 Photos
Created 29 June 2013
6 Photos
Created 24 October 2012
6 Photos
Created 24 October 2012
9 Photos
Created 24 October 2012
24 Photos
Created 2 October 2012
16 Photos
Created 2 October 2012
26 Photos
Created 1 October 2012
39 Photos
Created 17 September 2012
25 Photos
Created 26 August 2012
18 Photos
Created 26 August 2012
8 Photos
Created 26 August 2012
14 Photos
Created 26 August 2012
8 Photos
Created 26 August 2012
20 Photos
Created 26 August 2012
29 Photos
Created 31 July 2012
47 Photos
Created 31 July 2012
10 Photos
Created 31 July 2012
9 Photos
Created 31 July 2012
29 Photos
Created 15 July 2012
Cruising along the Italian Riviera
29 Photos
Created 14 July 2012
A quick view of the port of Monaco and a wander around Menton:last port for Trilogy before entering Italy
34 Photos
Created 12 June 2012
30 Photos
Created 5 June 2012
The film festival - Festival du Cannes
31 Photos
Created 27 May 2012
Rick, John and Susan's photos around St-Tropez
31 Photos
Created 25 May 2012
Port Bandol in the the Cote d Azur and the medieval village nearby of Le Castelet
42 Photos
Created 13 May 2012
A quick tour of the town and the nearby callanques
7 Photos
Created 11 May 2012
Isles du Firoul and Marseille
32 Photos
Created 9 May 2012
Walk around the pilgrims town
10 Photos
Created 6 May 2012
The Venice of South France
22 Photos
Created 29 April 2012
Strolling around the old town of Agde
20 Photos
Created 26 April 2012
Shots of Trilogy's interior for our friends who wanted to see what she looked like below decks
8 Photos
Created 24 April 2012