Trilogy: a sailing saga

17 April 2024 | Split Croatia
15 April 2024 | Tucepi
12 April 2024 | U Bataia
17 August 2023
13 June 2023 | Amalfi
13 June 2023 | Amalfi

Lay day and passage to Menorca, Balaeric Islas.

05 July 2015 | Puerto de Mahon
Ros Brice
We woke to find many more yachts had joined us in the bay. The norwesterly wind had picked up and this bay offered the best protection. Ros and Garth also woke to news that their son David had gone over the handlebars of his push bike overnight, had been knocked unconscious for some time and was now in the EA at Royal Melbourne. The intention had been to sail to an outer island today but as internet connectivity would be uncertain there, we opted for a lay day, to ensure communications while waiting for more medical updates. The day was spent quietly snorkelling the protected coves and chasms of the bay, catching up on sleep and generally preparing for the passage to the Balearics. This was the first lay day since we left Australia on 9 June, so no one minded at all! Atlantic salmon with potato mash and coleslaw was enjoyed for dinner and by then there was news that David was stable, out of EA and waiting for an MRI when neck swelling had subsided.
As David's condition seemed stable and Andrea was with him, next morning we prepared to sail, after another quick swim for those who were keen. By 10:00 we headed out of the bay and set our course for Ilsa Menorca, the most northern island of the Spanish Balearic group. The wind was still from the norwest at about 20 knots, the quartering sea not the most comfortable but it was a whole lot better than our previous passage. Wind strength was predicted to decrease through the day, so we needed to make the most of the stronger conditions for as long as possible. Ros managed to injure herself when attempting to secure a turning block on the foredeck, which resulted in some nasty bruising but thankfully, nothing more serious. Bruises are very easy to collect in this type of adventure!
The day and night passed, with all of us coping with the demands of the passage. The skipper was keen to pole out the headsail, but decided it would create unnecessary pressure on the crew, so we would make slower speed but be less vulnerable to wind shifts. The swell was not commensurate with the decreased amount of true wind as the hours passed, due to the sea taking a while longer to abate. The sun set and the full moon rose in all its glory, which provided silvery illumination throughout the whole night. Venus and Jupiter made another appearance, along with a sprinkling of distant stars. Two different pods of dolphins came to play with Trilogy and stayed for a long time racing along, under and around the bow, until something else took their fancy and bid us adieu. No shipping was encountered and so we felt very much alone in the vastness of the ocean, apart from the friendship shown by the dolphins.
The three hour watches continued and we all managed enough sleep to stay alert. The skipper was forever vigilant and on call even when he napped, and we kept the routine going all the way to the Balearics. Constant checking of wind shifts became paramount, so that the sails remained powered up and we maximised our speed at greater than 7 knots. After all, we did not want to make landfall at night and our ETA was 18:00. Land was sighted on the distant horizon, with about 20 NM to go. It seemed to take forever to sail the last stretch, but with a shifting of the breeze, we went to a beam reach for a lovely run to the finish line.
What greeted us was a deep narrow inlet with substantial fortifications on the headland known as La Mola. The port and starboard markers were quite close together and once the entry was negotiated we immediately turned to starboard to enter a narrow rock walled channel leading into an almost completely enclosed bay called Cala Taulera. The small bay was filled with yachts and other craft and the anchorage was tight, but our determination to drop the anchor won through and we did just that around 18:30!
Our greatest desire was to have a swim on arrival, but we thought better of it as we knew that most of these boats did not have holding tanks. As many of the boats headed back to the main harbour on dusk, we settled for GNTs as the sun set admiring the high walled fortifications on Isla del Lazareto, enjoyed baked pork fillets with a mustard cream sauce washed down with copious red and an early night.
Next morning we entered Puerto de Mahon and we're delighted by the vista. There was a feeling of Sydney Harbour but on a smaller scale, with sandstone cliffs, large areas of green vegetation and housing of various grandeur perched on all vantage points. The buildings were mostly painted white with arches and shuttered windows and terracotta tile roofs, interspersed with an occasional deep rust coloured house, which made the scene most attractive. As we nudged our way up the busy waterway, which has the same bends that exist in Port Jackson, a very large TransMediterranean ferry honked at us to get out of its way. That resolved, we pushed up to Marina Menorca and secured the lines.
Another busy day doing our chores in the heat, we were glad to flop for a while in the evening before heading to the floating Ristorante Minerva, where we dined on whole sea bass, roast lamb and seafood paella (pronounced pay-ya). The local wines are quite acceptable and the evening sunset was again mesmerising. All was most pleasant except for the cigar and cigarette diners who blasted us thoughtlessly. We are left wondering why Europeans in general do not seem to be heeding the risks associated with smoking.
Baileys for all back on Trilogy and off to bed we stumbled.
Postscript: David is home in a neck brace but still has considerable pain. He has been told to rest for two weeks.
Vessel Name: Trilogy
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau Oceanis 54
Hailing Port: Sydney, Australia
Crew: Owners: Garth & Rosalind Brice; Steven & Irene Ring; Peter & Susan Lucey; Paul & Sue Jones: Previous partners: John & Myra Rowling; Rick Scott-Murphy & Susan Alexander
About: The crew all live in Canberra, Australia and have raced and cruised together in the Canberra Ocean Racing Club.
Extra: Trilogy cruised through the Mediterranean for four seasons before crossing the Atlantic with the ARC to the Caribbean. Following three seasons in the Caribbean we sailed back across the Atlantic in 2018 and are now continuing to cruise in the Med.
Trilogy's Photos - Main
With Trilogy securely berthed in Cavalaier Sur Mer the crew took the 30 minute bus trip north to St Tropez and rubbed shoulders with the rich and famous.
4 Photos
Created 13 May 2019
6 Photos
Created 10 October 2014
11 Photos
Created 9 October 2014
10 Photos
Created 9 October 2014
9 Photos
Created 9 October 2014
6 Photos
Created 9 October 2014
6 Photos
Created 2 October 2014
5 Photos
Created 30 September 2014
8 Photos
Created 30 September 2014
5 Photos
Created 28 September 2014
9 Photos
Created 28 September 2014
12 Photos
Created 28 September 2014
14 Photos
Created 24 September 2014
4 Photos
Created 23 September 2014
8 Photos
Created 21 September 2014
35 Photos
Created 20 September 2014
21 Photos
Created 19 September 2014
Turkey
2 Photos
Created 14 July 2014
Turkey
21 Photos
Created 12 July 2014
Turkey
14 Photos
Created 11 July 2014
Skipper Garth Brice
4 Photos
Created 9 July 2014
1 Photo
Created 7 July 2014
Skipper: Garth Brice
1 Photo
Created 7 July 2014
Skipper: Garth Brice
1 Photo
Created 7 July 2014
21 Photos
Created 12 June 2014
29 Photos
Created 31 May 2014
35 Photos
Created 31 May 2014
49 Photos
Created 29 May 2014
49 Photos
Created 29 May 2014
29 Photos
Created 29 May 2014
13 Photos
Created 12 May 2014
17 Photos
Created 12 May 2014
19 Photos
Created 12 May 2014
18 Photos
Created 12 May 2014
17 Photos
Created 12 May 2014
15 Photos
Created 12 May 2014
19 Photos
Created 12 May 2014
20 Photos
Created 6 April 2014
10 Photos
Created 6 October 2013
20 Photos
Created 26 September 2013
12 Photos
Created 26 September 2013
22 Photos
Created 15 September 2013
15 Photos
Created 15 September 2013
13 Photos
Created 15 September 2013
10 Photos
Created 15 September 2013
20 Photos
Created 10 September 2013
19 Photos
Created 10 September 2013
21 Photos
Created 10 September 2013
10 Photos
Created 10 September 2013
6 Photos
Created 5 August 2013
14 Photos
Created 5 August 2013
16 Photos
Created 5 August 2013
The jewel of the Adriatic
20 Photos
Created 26 July 2013
Largely of Diocletan's palace
29 Photos
Created 23 July 2013
Covers Garth and Ros' sweep along the Croatian Dalmation coast and through the Croatian islands in June/July 2013
70 Photos
Created 29 June 2013
6 Photos
Created 24 October 2012
6 Photos
Created 24 October 2012
9 Photos
Created 24 October 2012
24 Photos
Created 2 October 2012
16 Photos
Created 2 October 2012
26 Photos
Created 1 October 2012
39 Photos
Created 17 September 2012
25 Photos
Created 26 August 2012
18 Photos
Created 26 August 2012
8 Photos
Created 26 August 2012
14 Photos
Created 26 August 2012
8 Photos
Created 26 August 2012
20 Photos
Created 26 August 2012
29 Photos
Created 31 July 2012
47 Photos
Created 31 July 2012
10 Photos
Created 31 July 2012
9 Photos
Created 31 July 2012
29 Photos
Created 15 July 2012
Cruising along the Italian Riviera
29 Photos
Created 14 July 2012
A quick view of the port of Monaco and a wander around Menton:last port for Trilogy before entering Italy
34 Photos
Created 12 June 2012
30 Photos
Created 5 June 2012
The film festival - Festival du Cannes
31 Photos
Created 27 May 2012
Rick, John and Susan's photos around St-Tropez
31 Photos
Created 25 May 2012
Port Bandol in the the Cote d Azur and the medieval village nearby of Le Castelet
42 Photos
Created 13 May 2012
A quick tour of the town and the nearby callanques
7 Photos
Created 11 May 2012
Isles du Firoul and Marseille
32 Photos
Created 9 May 2012
Walk around the pilgrims town
10 Photos
Created 6 May 2012
The Venice of South France
22 Photos
Created 29 April 2012
Strolling around the old town of Agde
20 Photos
Created 26 April 2012
Shots of Trilogy's interior for our friends who wanted to see what she looked like below decks
8 Photos
Created 24 April 2012