Trilogy: a sailing saga

17 April 2024 | Split Croatia
15 April 2024 | Tucepi
12 April 2024 | U Bataia
17 August 2023
13 June 2023 | Amalfi
13 June 2023 | Amalfi

St Thomas - Magens Beach; St John - Trunk Bay

15 May 2016 | St Thomas
Ros Brice
Wednesday morning came and we were ready to depart the Yacht Haven Grande Marina after the guys took a taxi to get two gas bottles filled. They met with rudeness in their investigations and when they finally tracked down the right place, the guy managed to only half fill one of the bottles! The girls checked out a fashion shop called White House Black Market. Due to the number of cruise ships visiting Charlotte Amalie, there was every kind of high end retail shop present in the marina complex.
By late morning we were casting off and headed for the fuel dock, visible from where we'd been at the marina. This little trip required us to come in close to the stern of the Disney Cruise ship Fantasy that had arrived that morning. The four Disney ships are the first in the industry to be designed and built with the family in mind. Unlike most ships of their kind, they do no have casinos. Disney ships also feature ship's horns that play the seven note opening theme When You Wish Upon A Star from Pinocchio, as well as the traditional ship's horn. We had our own Disney moment when we awoke to a startling rendition of When you wish upon a star!
With the refuel completed, Trilogy set sail for Honeymoon Beach, a favourite anchorage with local sailors because of its beautiful white sandy beach. It is situated on the eastern side of Water Island, which gets its name from the fact that it is one of the few places in the Caribbean with fresh water ponds. Both pirate and merchantmen were accustomed to coming to the island for water. Water Island, along with Hassel Island are part of the scenic waterways of St Thomas Harbour. From our anchorage we could see the other cruise ship dock on the eastern side of Frenchtown. The Allure of the Seas, part of the Caribbean cruise line fleet, with a 6000 guest capacity and the largest cruise ship in the world was in port! Honeymoon beach was out of reach of all these visitors and so we very much enjoyed the white sandy beach and turquoise water. Around 19:00 the Allure of the Seas squeezed out of port through the narrow passage between the islands and filled our vision with the sparkle of its lights.
After another morning swim, we motored to Magens Bay on the north coast of St Thomas, which offers a mile long beautiful beach and is a favourite beach photographed for ,travel publications. The beach sits at the top of a long deep inlet, which has thickly wooded steep sloping sides right down to water level. There are a number of large houses, which occupy part of the foreshore, but they are far enough from the beach not to intrude. We swam ashore in the late afternoon, walked the beach and swam back. We only had the company of one other yacht overnight and there was a real sense of peace, with just a gentle breeze wafting through.
Next day was Peter's birthday and to celebrate we prepared a cooked breakfast and sipped on Prosecco. Peter chose to repeat our excellent swim ashore, with a walk along the beach. In honour of his birthday, Peter was made skipper for the day, an opportunity which he relished. By early afternoon we were on the move again, heading for Trunk Bay, on the island of St John. This was a distance of 9NM and we motor sailed with one reef in the main. The passage was quite scenic, travelling along the north west coast of St Thomas and past several cays before entering Trunk Bay, on the north coast of St John Island.
St John's tobacco and sugar cane plantations collapsed in the early 19th century with the end of slavery and the island returned to its natural state. In 1954 LS Rockefeller bought the island and gave it to the nation so that it could be a National Park. St John has few people living on it, but big ferries bring hordes of tourists daily. The National Park covers three quarters of the island. Ecologists call it the 'Pearl of the Virgins' as there is no large scale real estate development to destroy the natural tropical vegetation or the shoreline. Green iguanas, geckos, hawksbill turtles, wild donkeys and an assortment of other feral animals, roam the landscape, not to mention the pristine reefs that are fully protected.
Johnson Reef, is a large reef about half a mile to the north of Trunk Bay. Although it is well marked, it continues to claim its share of wrecks due to negligence. With Peter at the helm and a new navigator on duty, Trilogy made her way safely through the yellow marker buoys, which denote the hazard area. Trunk Bay is the site of an underwater snorkel trail around Trunk Cay, a small islet about 48 feet tall. Once safely secured to a National Park mooring, those on board who had the energy swam ashore to check out the coral. They returned somewhat disappointed, mostly because of the murky water conditions. As Peter's birthday required a special dinner, the girls put their best foot forward and cooked Lamb Shanks in Red Wine, accompanied by sweet potato mash and green beans. The secret to our delicious meals is the pressure cooker, which not only reduces significantly the cooking time, but intensifies the flavours, as no evaporation occurs.
Next morning the wind had settled and we all headed to shore for another snorkel. The water was a lot clearer and although the coral was not as spectacular as some we have previously seen, it had its own unique beauty, with some coral types we'd not previously encountered. The fish were abundant and were all colours and sizes. We learnt from the underwater signage that the parrot fish feeds on the dead coral and with its hard beak crushes the coral, which produces sand particles. We had a spotted stingray 'fly' past us, which is a spectacular sight....its stinging tail seeming to go forever. The signage suggested just floating and calmly observing the natural aquarium to allow the fish to come to you.....and they did! It is quite humbling to have these creatures trust you implicitly as an intruder to their world.
Once back on board, we lunched al fresco and then some repairs to the generator got underway, due to a leak of diesel from the hose. It was some time later that the guys downed tools and we motored around to our next stop at Maho Bay.
Vessel Name: Trilogy
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau Oceanis 54
Hailing Port: Sydney, Australia
Crew: Owners: Garth & Rosalind Brice; Steven & Irene Ring; Peter & Susan Lucey; Paul & Sue Jones: Previous partners: John & Myra Rowling; Rick Scott-Murphy & Susan Alexander
About: The crew all live in Canberra, Australia and have raced and cruised together in the Canberra Ocean Racing Club.
Extra: Trilogy cruised through the Mediterranean for four seasons before crossing the Atlantic with the ARC to the Caribbean. Following three seasons in the Caribbean we sailed back across the Atlantic in 2018 and are now continuing to cruise in the Med.
Trilogy's Photos - Main
With Trilogy securely berthed in Cavalaier Sur Mer the crew took the 30 minute bus trip north to St Tropez and rubbed shoulders with the rich and famous.
4 Photos
Created 13 May 2019
6 Photos
Created 10 October 2014
11 Photos
Created 9 October 2014
10 Photos
Created 9 October 2014
9 Photos
Created 9 October 2014
6 Photos
Created 9 October 2014
6 Photos
Created 2 October 2014
5 Photos
Created 30 September 2014
8 Photos
Created 30 September 2014
5 Photos
Created 28 September 2014
9 Photos
Created 28 September 2014
12 Photos
Created 28 September 2014
14 Photos
Created 24 September 2014
4 Photos
Created 23 September 2014
8 Photos
Created 21 September 2014
35 Photos
Created 20 September 2014
21 Photos
Created 19 September 2014
Turkey
2 Photos
Created 14 July 2014
Turkey
21 Photos
Created 12 July 2014
Turkey
14 Photos
Created 11 July 2014
Skipper Garth Brice
4 Photos
Created 9 July 2014
1 Photo
Created 7 July 2014
Skipper: Garth Brice
1 Photo
Created 7 July 2014
Skipper: Garth Brice
1 Photo
Created 7 July 2014
21 Photos
Created 12 June 2014
29 Photos
Created 31 May 2014
35 Photos
Created 31 May 2014
49 Photos
Created 29 May 2014
49 Photos
Created 29 May 2014
29 Photos
Created 29 May 2014
13 Photos
Created 12 May 2014
17 Photos
Created 12 May 2014
19 Photos
Created 12 May 2014
18 Photos
Created 12 May 2014
17 Photos
Created 12 May 2014
15 Photos
Created 12 May 2014
19 Photos
Created 12 May 2014
20 Photos
Created 6 April 2014
10 Photos
Created 6 October 2013
20 Photos
Created 26 September 2013
12 Photos
Created 26 September 2013
22 Photos
Created 15 September 2013
15 Photos
Created 15 September 2013
13 Photos
Created 15 September 2013
10 Photos
Created 15 September 2013
20 Photos
Created 10 September 2013
19 Photos
Created 10 September 2013
21 Photos
Created 10 September 2013
10 Photos
Created 10 September 2013
6 Photos
Created 5 August 2013
14 Photos
Created 5 August 2013
16 Photos
Created 5 August 2013
The jewel of the Adriatic
20 Photos
Created 26 July 2013
Largely of Diocletan's palace
29 Photos
Created 23 July 2013
Covers Garth and Ros' sweep along the Croatian Dalmation coast and through the Croatian islands in June/July 2013
70 Photos
Created 29 June 2013
6 Photos
Created 24 October 2012
6 Photos
Created 24 October 2012
9 Photos
Created 24 October 2012
24 Photos
Created 2 October 2012
16 Photos
Created 2 October 2012
26 Photos
Created 1 October 2012
39 Photos
Created 17 September 2012
25 Photos
Created 26 August 2012
18 Photos
Created 26 August 2012
8 Photos
Created 26 August 2012
14 Photos
Created 26 August 2012
8 Photos
Created 26 August 2012
20 Photos
Created 26 August 2012
29 Photos
Created 31 July 2012
47 Photos
Created 31 July 2012
10 Photos
Created 31 July 2012
9 Photos
Created 31 July 2012
29 Photos
Created 15 July 2012
Cruising along the Italian Riviera
29 Photos
Created 14 July 2012
A quick view of the port of Monaco and a wander around Menton:last port for Trilogy before entering Italy
34 Photos
Created 12 June 2012
30 Photos
Created 5 June 2012
The film festival - Festival du Cannes
31 Photos
Created 27 May 2012
Rick, John and Susan's photos around St-Tropez
31 Photos
Created 25 May 2012
Port Bandol in the the Cote d Azur and the medieval village nearby of Le Castelet
42 Photos
Created 13 May 2012
A quick tour of the town and the nearby callanques
7 Photos
Created 11 May 2012
Isles du Firoul and Marseille
32 Photos
Created 9 May 2012
Walk around the pilgrims town
10 Photos
Created 6 May 2012
The Venice of South France
22 Photos
Created 29 April 2012
Strolling around the old town of Agde
20 Photos
Created 26 April 2012
Shots of Trilogy's interior for our friends who wanted to see what she looked like below decks
8 Photos
Created 24 April 2012