Trilogy: a sailing saga

17 April 2024 | Split Croatia
15 April 2024 | Tucepi
12 April 2024 | U Bataia
17 August 2023
13 June 2023 | Amalfi
13 June 2023 | Amalfi

Ponce

23 April 2017 | Ponce
Ros Brice
Skipper had us up early to sail from Cayo de Muertos before the wind got up to more than light. It was a beautiful sail, beam reaching happily the 6 NM towards the Bahia de Ponce. We wanted to go into a private marina, the only marina for Ponce (pronounced pon-say). We were standing off about 09:00 and waited for the marina staff to respond to our request for a berth. Fortunately we were granted berth 27, and we were expected to moor without assistance. The pen was tight but the skipper and crew felt ready to manoeuvre Trilogy, especially as the wind was remained light. With the 'dock and go' engaged, the skipper edged Trilogy ever so carefully between the steel poles and once we had one stern line on, we were able to hold Trilogy off the poles and tighten her lines securely.
As usual, once in a marina, it is time to do the chores that make Trilogy a superb and comfortable vessel that we are always proud of. The laundry and shopping were the main tasks and as the marina was well out of the city of Ponce, we decided to hire a car for 2 days. Ponce is where Colin and Amelia Goodwin from the UK were to join us for a week and we needed to stock up sufficiently to live well for the next week. We filled the boot of the car with provisions and it took most of the day to get them all stowed and the laundry washed and returned fresh and folded. We prefer to use the onboard washing machine for personal clothing items but the linen is better outsourced.
We had just relaxed in the cockpit with our GNTs when we had admiring passers by stop for a chat. It was Garry, Sally, Sylvie and Anita who all live together on a 50 foot Beneteau. They joined us for a drink and they were curious to ask lots of questions about Trilogy and the journey. Likewise we were curious about their travels and as the evening progressed we were invited to join them for an evening meal on board on their yacht. Garry and his twin daughters Sally and Sylvie, along with Anita are producing 30 second film snatches for local Puerto Rican TV with a strong message of hope through living with a loving heart and acts of kindness. The productions are done onboard and in order to get high quality results, they work from midnight onwards, when the noise and distractions of Puerto Rican marina life are at their quietest. Sally and Sylvia have formed a foundation which provides help and support to the young and elderly who find themselves in difficult circumstances. This very close knit team were delightful to meet and very sincere about their work.
Next day was our opportunity to take a roadie to the small mountain municipality of Barranquitas. The trip followed winding roads up into the central region of Puerto Rico and the views were spectacular as we climbed and dipped through the valleys and peaks. Barranquitas had a lovely open civic square, bordered by a large church on one side, shops and civic buildings on the others. Lovely flower boxes surrounded a central attractive fountain. We found a lovely cafe which sold goodish coffee and pastelillos. We returned in time to visit the Museo de Art de Ponce, considered one of the finest art museums in Puerto Rico and largest in the Caribbean. It was founded in 1959 by industrialist and philanthropist Louis A. Ferré and houses a large collection of European art as well as works by Puerto Rican artists. The building was most impressive, based on a series of hexagon shaped galleries on two levels, with natural light captured into each gallery through the central open spaces. We then drove to one of the peaks that surround Ponce to visit the Castillo Serrallés Museo, a mansion built in the 1930s by a local architect, which has two large terraces, an outside fountain and symmetrical backyard garden. It's interior includes a luxurious  hall, a spacious dining room and an interior courtyard. There are four levels to the house and prominent throughout the building is the use of wooden round arches over the building's large windows and doorways. A central well with fountain on the ground level provides cooling breezes to all the rooms that open onto the surrounding internal balconies. No expense was spared in its construction and all modern appliances of the day were installed. Next stop was a massive retail shopping mall which was no different to any other major plaza, with all international brands represented.
To finish the day before Colin and Amelia arrived around 21:00, we went to a bar area adjacent to the marina that had blasted us with music the night before. There were a series of bars that all seemed to offer the same things and having checked out the menus of typical Puerto Rican fast food, we opted to go to the centre of Ponce to Lola's Restaurant, where we dined in comfort on excellent, well prepared food. For the first time on the trip there was decent wifi available and we all succumbed to catching up on all things iPhone. Back at the marina the Friday night party was in full swing at the Members Lounge and Colin and Amelia arrived shortly afterwards safely from San Juan. It was great to welcome them on board again.
Saturday dawned with a beautiful sky and after breakfast we headed back to Ponce central, to show Colin and Amelia the best part of town and grab a coffee. It was good to be there in daylight and check out the town which is steeped in history and visit the Plaza Las Delicias which has architecture of all types from centuries old buildings to buildings with rather garish facades. The Parque de Bombas has the famous red and black Firehouse Museum built in 1883 and on the opposite side the Cathedral of Our Lady of Guadeloupe named after the city's patron Saint. Colin found himself some swimwear and we tasted some of the local food at the Utopian Cafe for morning tea. There was plenty of street food vendors around the plaza and quite tasteful large murals graced some of the lovely vacant walls around the plaza.
After a quick lunch it was time to depart Ponce. We eased Trilogy out of the tight berth fortunately with no damage in the stiff breeze and hoisted the sails for the 2 hour sail to our next stop, Punta Jacinto.
Vessel Name: Trilogy
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau Oceanis 54
Hailing Port: Sydney, Australia
Crew: Owners: Garth & Rosalind Brice; Steven & Irene Ring; Peter & Susan Lucey; Paul & Sue Jones: Previous partners: John & Myra Rowling; Rick Scott-Murphy & Susan Alexander
About: The crew all live in Canberra, Australia and have raced and cruised together in the Canberra Ocean Racing Club.
Extra: Trilogy cruised through the Mediterranean for four seasons before crossing the Atlantic with the ARC to the Caribbean. Following three seasons in the Caribbean we sailed back across the Atlantic in 2018 and are now continuing to cruise in the Med.
Trilogy's Photos - Main
With Trilogy securely berthed in Cavalaier Sur Mer the crew took the 30 minute bus trip north to St Tropez and rubbed shoulders with the rich and famous.
4 Photos
Created 13 May 2019
6 Photos
Created 10 October 2014
11 Photos
Created 9 October 2014
10 Photos
Created 9 October 2014
9 Photos
Created 9 October 2014
6 Photos
Created 9 October 2014
6 Photos
Created 2 October 2014
5 Photos
Created 30 September 2014
8 Photos
Created 30 September 2014
5 Photos
Created 28 September 2014
9 Photos
Created 28 September 2014
12 Photos
Created 28 September 2014
14 Photos
Created 24 September 2014
4 Photos
Created 23 September 2014
8 Photos
Created 21 September 2014
35 Photos
Created 20 September 2014
21 Photos
Created 19 September 2014
Turkey
2 Photos
Created 14 July 2014
Turkey
21 Photos
Created 12 July 2014
Turkey
14 Photos
Created 11 July 2014
Skipper Garth Brice
4 Photos
Created 9 July 2014
1 Photo
Created 7 July 2014
Skipper: Garth Brice
1 Photo
Created 7 July 2014
Skipper: Garth Brice
1 Photo
Created 7 July 2014
21 Photos
Created 12 June 2014
29 Photos
Created 31 May 2014
35 Photos
Created 31 May 2014
49 Photos
Created 29 May 2014
49 Photos
Created 29 May 2014
29 Photos
Created 29 May 2014
13 Photos
Created 12 May 2014
17 Photos
Created 12 May 2014
19 Photos
Created 12 May 2014
18 Photos
Created 12 May 2014
17 Photos
Created 12 May 2014
15 Photos
Created 12 May 2014
19 Photos
Created 12 May 2014
20 Photos
Created 6 April 2014
10 Photos
Created 6 October 2013
20 Photos
Created 26 September 2013
12 Photos
Created 26 September 2013
22 Photos
Created 15 September 2013
15 Photos
Created 15 September 2013
13 Photos
Created 15 September 2013
10 Photos
Created 15 September 2013
20 Photos
Created 10 September 2013
19 Photos
Created 10 September 2013
21 Photos
Created 10 September 2013
10 Photos
Created 10 September 2013
6 Photos
Created 5 August 2013
14 Photos
Created 5 August 2013
16 Photos
Created 5 August 2013
The jewel of the Adriatic
20 Photos
Created 26 July 2013
Largely of Diocletan's palace
29 Photos
Created 23 July 2013
Covers Garth and Ros' sweep along the Croatian Dalmation coast and through the Croatian islands in June/July 2013
70 Photos
Created 29 June 2013
6 Photos
Created 24 October 2012
6 Photos
Created 24 October 2012
9 Photos
Created 24 October 2012
24 Photos
Created 2 October 2012
16 Photos
Created 2 October 2012
26 Photos
Created 1 October 2012
39 Photos
Created 17 September 2012
25 Photos
Created 26 August 2012
18 Photos
Created 26 August 2012
8 Photos
Created 26 August 2012
14 Photos
Created 26 August 2012
8 Photos
Created 26 August 2012
20 Photos
Created 26 August 2012
29 Photos
Created 31 July 2012
47 Photos
Created 31 July 2012
10 Photos
Created 31 July 2012
9 Photos
Created 31 July 2012
29 Photos
Created 15 July 2012
Cruising along the Italian Riviera
29 Photos
Created 14 July 2012
A quick view of the port of Monaco and a wander around Menton:last port for Trilogy before entering Italy
34 Photos
Created 12 June 2012
30 Photos
Created 5 June 2012
The film festival - Festival du Cannes
31 Photos
Created 27 May 2012
Rick, John and Susan's photos around St-Tropez
31 Photos
Created 25 May 2012
Port Bandol in the the Cote d Azur and the medieval village nearby of Le Castelet
42 Photos
Created 13 May 2012
A quick tour of the town and the nearby callanques
7 Photos
Created 11 May 2012
Isles du Firoul and Marseille
32 Photos
Created 9 May 2012
Walk around the pilgrims town
10 Photos
Created 6 May 2012
The Venice of South France
22 Photos
Created 29 April 2012
Strolling around the old town of Agde
20 Photos
Created 26 April 2012
Shots of Trilogy's interior for our friends who wanted to see what she looked like below decks
8 Photos
Created 24 April 2012