Trilogy: a sailing saga

17 April 2024 | Split Croatia
15 April 2024 | Tucepi
12 April 2024 | U Bataia
17 August 2023
13 June 2023 | Amalfi
13 June 2023 | Amalfi

Beyond Hvar and Zenko

09 July 2013 | Vis
Ros Brice
The hype of Hvar Town left behind, we motored towards the Pakleni Island group, a picturesque group of wooded isles, with the inevitable 'naturist' islands of Jerolim and Stipanska proving popular with those who think swimwear is too expensive to waste money on!

Our choice was Palmizana Island and Tarsce offered the right protection for an overnight anchorage. We prefer to seek out the tranquility of fewer boats and people if we can, especially after a lively port and by evening only a few yachts remained. After sharing a fruit platter, swim and relax on the foredeck, the 'girls' set off for an exploratory expedition in the dinghy. Although dinner was planned to be on board, we followed signage to Dionis Konobe, 400 metres across the island and discovered a rustic taverna overlooking a flourishing vineyard. Back on board, as the sun set we enjoyed exotic fruity cocktails courtesy of Genna and Helen and Kat spoilt us with another delicious pasta creation. The sky was clear which meant star gazing was on offer and noted a number of small fishing boats working the waters late into the night.

Next morning, we all swam around the wide bay and enjoyed some of our best snorkelling, with large rocky overhangs creating interest beneath the surface. Sea urchins are prolific all through the Adriatic waters and we have been totally amused by the urchins habit of piling 'collectable' shells and rocks on top of themselves. They make us smile and appear to have neighbourly competitions for the best selections. The downside of sea urchins is that they can give nasty stings if their spikes are tampered with, so wearing soft soled shoes is wise and so far we have been spared. A delightful savoury egg breakfast was prepared and then we were on our way.

We set the sails and headed for Vis Island, which is claimed in Lonely Planet to be the most mysterious of all the Croatian Islands, and this is mostly because it is the furtherest of the main Dalmation islands from the coast, but more of that in the next posting. By lunchtime we had arrived at Ravnik Island, where the lure of a 'green cave' had got our attention. We anchored off on a rocky bottom, but in spite of our Rocna anchor and ample chain out, skipper was not feeling too confident that we would hold for long. We piled into the dinghy equipped with our snorkelling gear and headed inside the cave that had two points of entry . One small shaft of light from above penetrated the 10 metre deep clear water, but it was not until we swam to the back of the cave and looked back to the cave entrance that the truly turquoise green water was revealed. All very satisfied with our special experience, we headed back to Trilogy for a tasty belated lunch. Food flavours seem enhanced in this part of the world, probably the combination of fresh air, lots of exercise and fresh full flavoured produce.

Moving right along, our anchorage for the night was a little further west in Mala Travna, anticipating that there would be a wind change from the east by morning. Another picturesque coastal settlement awaited us, with only a handful of cottages and one small restaurant open in summer. Our information advised that the Konobe owner is Zenko Karuza, a Croatian writer and it warned that the restaurant was not for impatient guests! We were intrigued and decided to go ashore after our refreshing swim and diving competition to check out whether we would be welcome for dinner. Access was up a steepish rock face and to our amazement Zenko was a very 'zen character', warm hearted and definitely welcoming. We negotiated our meal of carpaccio of local fish (sardines and anchovies) followed by Lamb Peka, a traditional dish cooked in a large flat covered dish, with fire coals piled up around the pan, for several hours. There are always vegetables cooked with the chosen protein (octopus, fish, meat) and delicious juices to enjoy. Zenko with a smile said we needed to be 'disinfected' before we departed, and skipper was madly apologising when Zenko offered us each a glass (or two) of schnapps, to share with us before we left! Zenko also asked us to dress up, as Genna had told him that she was in the fashion industry, so we did our best to oblige. Zenko's great grandfather had built the original cottage and Zenko came back 20 years ago when the locals were able to return after Tito's reign on the island finished. Zenko lives in Zagreb in the winter months and enjoys the timelessness of this tiny community in summer. Later that night when the Peka was served, Zenko said, 'I have prepared goat Peka for you', which we gathered was meant to be an even greater treat than lamb! We feasted on the Peka, something we had been dreaming of trying since Susan and Rick had mentioned it at handover. The wine was from Zenko's vineyard and was full bodied in flavour. Needless to say, we very very carefully clambered down the rock face to our waiting dinghy and went to sleep dreaming of a wonderful evening with Zenko. Next morning we swam and dived before a cook up of eggs, proscuitto, tomatoes and basil.....yes, Basil is back on board!!

We had a wonderful time sharing the journey with Genna and her mum Helen, but as they needed to catch up with Ellie in Dubrovnik, we needed to motor to Vis Town, for them to catch the noon ferry. Having moored against the sea wall while Kat played taxi service for Genna and Helen in the dinghy, we waved farewell to our happy companions on the deck of the ferry as it departed for Split.
Vessel Name: Trilogy
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau Oceanis 54
Hailing Port: Sydney, Australia
Crew: Owners: Garth & Rosalind Brice; Steven & Irene Ring; Peter & Susan Lucey; Paul & Sue Jones: Previous partners: John & Myra Rowling; Rick Scott-Murphy & Susan Alexander
About: The crew all live in Canberra, Australia and have raced and cruised together in the Canberra Ocean Racing Club.
Extra: Trilogy cruised through the Mediterranean for four seasons before crossing the Atlantic with the ARC to the Caribbean. Following three seasons in the Caribbean we sailed back across the Atlantic in 2018 and are now continuing to cruise in the Med.
Trilogy's Photos - Main
With Trilogy securely berthed in Cavalaier Sur Mer the crew took the 30 minute bus trip north to St Tropez and rubbed shoulders with the rich and famous.
4 Photos
Created 13 May 2019
6 Photos
Created 10 October 2014
11 Photos
Created 9 October 2014
10 Photos
Created 9 October 2014
9 Photos
Created 9 October 2014
6 Photos
Created 9 October 2014
6 Photos
Created 2 October 2014
5 Photos
Created 30 September 2014
8 Photos
Created 30 September 2014
5 Photos
Created 28 September 2014
9 Photos
Created 28 September 2014
12 Photos
Created 28 September 2014
14 Photos
Created 24 September 2014
4 Photos
Created 23 September 2014
8 Photos
Created 21 September 2014
35 Photos
Created 20 September 2014
21 Photos
Created 19 September 2014
Turkey
2 Photos
Created 14 July 2014
Turkey
21 Photos
Created 12 July 2014
Turkey
14 Photos
Created 11 July 2014
Skipper Garth Brice
4 Photos
Created 9 July 2014
1 Photo
Created 7 July 2014
Skipper: Garth Brice
1 Photo
Created 7 July 2014
Skipper: Garth Brice
1 Photo
Created 7 July 2014
21 Photos
Created 12 June 2014
29 Photos
Created 31 May 2014
35 Photos
Created 31 May 2014
49 Photos
Created 29 May 2014
49 Photos
Created 29 May 2014
29 Photos
Created 29 May 2014
13 Photos
Created 12 May 2014
17 Photos
Created 12 May 2014
19 Photos
Created 12 May 2014
18 Photos
Created 12 May 2014
17 Photos
Created 12 May 2014
15 Photos
Created 12 May 2014
19 Photos
Created 12 May 2014
20 Photos
Created 6 April 2014
10 Photos
Created 6 October 2013
20 Photos
Created 26 September 2013
12 Photos
Created 26 September 2013
22 Photos
Created 15 September 2013
15 Photos
Created 15 September 2013
13 Photos
Created 15 September 2013
10 Photos
Created 15 September 2013
20 Photos
Created 10 September 2013
19 Photos
Created 10 September 2013
21 Photos
Created 10 September 2013
10 Photos
Created 10 September 2013
6 Photos
Created 5 August 2013
14 Photos
Created 5 August 2013
16 Photos
Created 5 August 2013
The jewel of the Adriatic
20 Photos
Created 26 July 2013
Largely of Diocletan's palace
29 Photos
Created 23 July 2013
Covers Garth and Ros' sweep along the Croatian Dalmation coast and through the Croatian islands in June/July 2013
70 Photos
Created 29 June 2013
6 Photos
Created 24 October 2012
6 Photos
Created 24 October 2012
9 Photos
Created 24 October 2012
24 Photos
Created 2 October 2012
16 Photos
Created 2 October 2012
26 Photos
Created 1 October 2012
39 Photos
Created 17 September 2012
25 Photos
Created 26 August 2012
18 Photos
Created 26 August 2012
8 Photos
Created 26 August 2012
14 Photos
Created 26 August 2012
8 Photos
Created 26 August 2012
20 Photos
Created 26 August 2012
29 Photos
Created 31 July 2012
47 Photos
Created 31 July 2012
10 Photos
Created 31 July 2012
9 Photos
Created 31 July 2012
29 Photos
Created 15 July 2012
Cruising along the Italian Riviera
29 Photos
Created 14 July 2012
A quick view of the port of Monaco and a wander around Menton:last port for Trilogy before entering Italy
34 Photos
Created 12 June 2012
30 Photos
Created 5 June 2012
The film festival - Festival du Cannes
31 Photos
Created 27 May 2012
Rick, John and Susan's photos around St-Tropez
31 Photos
Created 25 May 2012
Port Bandol in the the Cote d Azur and the medieval village nearby of Le Castelet
42 Photos
Created 13 May 2012
A quick tour of the town and the nearby callanques
7 Photos
Created 11 May 2012
Isles du Firoul and Marseille
32 Photos
Created 9 May 2012
Walk around the pilgrims town
10 Photos
Created 6 May 2012
The Venice of South France
22 Photos
Created 29 April 2012
Strolling around the old town of Agde
20 Photos
Created 26 April 2012
Shots of Trilogy's interior for our friends who wanted to see what she looked like below decks
8 Photos
Created 24 April 2012