Trilogy: a sailing saga

17 April 2024 | Split Croatia
15 April 2024 | Tucepi
12 April 2024 | U Bataia
17 August 2023
13 June 2023 | Amalfi
13 June 2023 | Amalfi

Cesme to Foca, Alibey and Assos

09 July 2014 | Turkey
Ros Brice
By morning the wind had at last settled to tolerable sailing levels and we bid farewell to Cesme marina...it had been good to us but we were all keen to throw off the mooring lines. Having lost several days of our planned journey, the pace unfortunately had to be cranked up a little to see the places highest on the Turkey 'must do' list.
We motored and sailed to Foca, a wide port with several spots to anchor noted in the pilot book, but plenty of shallow water to be careful about. We approached the sea wall and picked up a mooring line, but some yelling from the shore got our attention and we were pointed away. Next idea was around the headland that we'd passed on the way in, but that turned out to be a military base and we got not one, but two horns, letting us know we were not to come any closer. Third option was to tuck in under the other harbour headland, where several day tripper boats were anchored, the families having a swim and enjoying the afternoon. We joined them in the water and cooled off after our long day. Before long the company departed and we relaxed in the calm of the evening light. A bride appeared on the beach in her very white tulle and there were also some beach BBQ's happening. This was Sunday night and it seemed the Turks are good at enjoying themselves in the summer warmth.
Next morning, a quick swim was enjoyed before another day of travel, this time to Alibey. In contrast to yesterday, we were welcomed into the sea wall by a nice old man of the sea, and we smoothly manoeuvred Trilogy into her berth. There was no indecision as to where we would eat that night, as there was a beautiful restaurant directly behind the stern.
John had developed an infection in his eye and needed to seek medical advice. The local taxi driver took matters into his own hands and took the whole saga very seriously. He drove some distance to the local hospital, insisted that John didn't join the waiting room crowd and, sure enough, he was promptly seen by a doctor. The prescription and other medications were filled at a rather hidden pharmacy and before long the taxi driver had been paid for his magnificent and much appreciated efforts. Meanwhile Sue and Ros explored the cobblestone streets to the top of the hill behind the township, where a beautiful old stone windmill had become a cafe. The view over the archipelago of islands was very special. One part of this waterway is referred to as the lake because it is almost completely encircled by land. As we headed back down the hill, we took in the lifestyle of the locals, women sitting in doorways, cats and dogs being thrown bread scraps, a beautiful boutique hotel that had a manicured inner courtyard and then a bunch of jewellery and other tourist stalls at the wharf.
Once we were all back on board, it was time for our usual routine of showers and GNT's before stepping ashore to our restaurant at 21:00. By now the waterfront was alive with locals out for a dinner or ice cream, and children were enjoying games with each other or riding bikes. We had a wonderful meal of mezzes of various flavours, selected from the cabinet inside. We chose five from the cabinet: eggplant salad, grilled holoumi cheese, stuffed mushrooms, fried mixed seafood wraps and cheese stuffed zucchini flowers to share. However, our gregarious waiter decided he wanted us to try many more of his dishes and they kept coming and they were truly delicious! We had no room for fish but the waiter insisted on providing a dessert, which was a soft mild cheese, covered in a berry sauce and sprinkled with nuts. We had intended to walk along the foreshore after dinner to an ice cream stall where the waffle cones were being cooked, but there was no room after our feast. Instead we just wandered with the locals, taking in this delightful vibrant setting. A cup of tea on Trilogy's cockpit, and we were very content to retire.
Trilogy got a wash down before departing and fresh bread, along with local savoury pastries were bought. Underway again, we planned to head for Assos via Poroslene, a beautiful bay in the archipelago where dolphins are reputed to be found. We enjoyed a refreshing swim to the beach but instead of dolphins we saw lots of happy little fish and lots of ugly rubbish on the shore. It was then off to the township of Assos, a site dating back 3000 years and set against a steep rocky cliff covered with trees. There were warnings in the pilot that the anchor may not hold well here, but our anchor held long enough for a relaxing afternoon of swimming. There were at least six restaurants, each with a sun baking platform built out over the water. We were so looking forward to our meal ashore but it wasn't to be! There was a shift of wind to the south, not predicted on any of the websites, and we were in need of a hasty retreat. The skipper had checked the anchor and calculated that we would be safe to stay, but he suddenly realised that Trilogy had swung dangerously close to a submerged ancient stone sea wall with the wind shift. We hastily got underway and put Trilogy out of harm's way while we contemplated where to safely spend the night. Fortunately, a calm protected anchorage wasn't too far away and so another day ended with a home cooked meal of salmon steaks, mashed potato and creamed spinach, accompanied by wine and a tipple of Bailey's.
Vessel Name: Trilogy
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau Oceanis 54
Hailing Port: Sydney, Australia
Crew: Owners: Garth & Rosalind Brice; Steven & Irene Ring; Peter & Susan Lucey; Paul & Sue Jones: Previous partners: John & Myra Rowling; Rick Scott-Murphy & Susan Alexander
About: The crew all live in Canberra, Australia and have raced and cruised together in the Canberra Ocean Racing Club.
Extra: Trilogy cruised through the Mediterranean for four seasons before crossing the Atlantic with the ARC to the Caribbean. Following three seasons in the Caribbean we sailed back across the Atlantic in 2018 and are now continuing to cruise in the Med.
Trilogy's Photos - Main
With Trilogy securely berthed in Cavalaier Sur Mer the crew took the 30 minute bus trip north to St Tropez and rubbed shoulders with the rich and famous.
4 Photos
Created 13 May 2019
6 Photos
Created 10 October 2014
11 Photos
Created 9 October 2014
10 Photos
Created 9 October 2014
9 Photos
Created 9 October 2014
6 Photos
Created 9 October 2014
6 Photos
Created 2 October 2014
5 Photos
Created 30 September 2014
8 Photos
Created 30 September 2014
5 Photos
Created 28 September 2014
9 Photos
Created 28 September 2014
12 Photos
Created 28 September 2014
14 Photos
Created 24 September 2014
4 Photos
Created 23 September 2014
8 Photos
Created 21 September 2014
35 Photos
Created 20 September 2014
21 Photos
Created 19 September 2014
Turkey
2 Photos
Created 14 July 2014
Turkey
21 Photos
Created 12 July 2014
Turkey
14 Photos
Created 11 July 2014
Skipper Garth Brice
4 Photos
Created 9 July 2014
1 Photo
Created 7 July 2014
Skipper: Garth Brice
1 Photo
Created 7 July 2014
Skipper: Garth Brice
1 Photo
Created 7 July 2014
21 Photos
Created 12 June 2014
29 Photos
Created 31 May 2014
35 Photos
Created 31 May 2014
49 Photos
Created 29 May 2014
49 Photos
Created 29 May 2014
29 Photos
Created 29 May 2014
13 Photos
Created 12 May 2014
17 Photos
Created 12 May 2014
19 Photos
Created 12 May 2014
18 Photos
Created 12 May 2014
17 Photos
Created 12 May 2014
15 Photos
Created 12 May 2014
19 Photos
Created 12 May 2014
20 Photos
Created 6 April 2014
10 Photos
Created 6 October 2013
20 Photos
Created 26 September 2013
12 Photos
Created 26 September 2013
22 Photos
Created 15 September 2013
15 Photos
Created 15 September 2013
13 Photos
Created 15 September 2013
10 Photos
Created 15 September 2013
20 Photos
Created 10 September 2013
19 Photos
Created 10 September 2013
21 Photos
Created 10 September 2013
10 Photos
Created 10 September 2013
6 Photos
Created 5 August 2013
14 Photos
Created 5 August 2013
16 Photos
Created 5 August 2013
The jewel of the Adriatic
20 Photos
Created 26 July 2013
Largely of Diocletan's palace
29 Photos
Created 23 July 2013
Covers Garth and Ros' sweep along the Croatian Dalmation coast and through the Croatian islands in June/July 2013
70 Photos
Created 29 June 2013
6 Photos
Created 24 October 2012
6 Photos
Created 24 October 2012
9 Photos
Created 24 October 2012
24 Photos
Created 2 October 2012
16 Photos
Created 2 October 2012
26 Photos
Created 1 October 2012
39 Photos
Created 17 September 2012
25 Photos
Created 26 August 2012
18 Photos
Created 26 August 2012
8 Photos
Created 26 August 2012
14 Photos
Created 26 August 2012
8 Photos
Created 26 August 2012
20 Photos
Created 26 August 2012
29 Photos
Created 31 July 2012
47 Photos
Created 31 July 2012
10 Photos
Created 31 July 2012
9 Photos
Created 31 July 2012
29 Photos
Created 15 July 2012
Cruising along the Italian Riviera
29 Photos
Created 14 July 2012
A quick view of the port of Monaco and a wander around Menton:last port for Trilogy before entering Italy
34 Photos
Created 12 June 2012
30 Photos
Created 5 June 2012
The film festival - Festival du Cannes
31 Photos
Created 27 May 2012
Rick, John and Susan's photos around St-Tropez
31 Photos
Created 25 May 2012
Port Bandol in the the Cote d Azur and the medieval village nearby of Le Castelet
42 Photos
Created 13 May 2012
A quick tour of the town and the nearby callanques
7 Photos
Created 11 May 2012
Isles du Firoul and Marseille
32 Photos
Created 9 May 2012
Walk around the pilgrims town
10 Photos
Created 6 May 2012
The Venice of South France
22 Photos
Created 29 April 2012
Strolling around the old town of Agde
20 Photos
Created 26 April 2012
Shots of Trilogy's interior for our friends who wanted to see what she looked like below decks
8 Photos
Created 24 April 2012