Trilogy: a sailing saga

17 April 2024 | Split Croatia
15 April 2024 | Tucepi
12 April 2024 | U Bataia
17 August 2023
13 June 2023 | Amalfi
13 June 2023 | Amalfi

Porto Cristo

20 July 2015 | Porto Cristo, Mallorca
Ros Brice
Mallorca ( also spelt Majorca) appears to have been inhabited for at least 6000 years. Little is known about the early people but it is likely the Phoenicians, Carhaginians and Greeks inhabited both Mallorca and Menorca. The Romans conquered Mallorca in 123BC and remained until the 5th century. The Romans used the island more as a staging post than as a permanent settlement, with few Roman remains evident. After the Romans left, the island fell into the dark ages and was a favoured base for pirates and Cosairs.
The Moors bought new prosperity, when they arrived in the 10th century, but they were driven out by King Jaime 1 in 1229, supported by the combined armies of Catalonia and Aragon. This conquering army bought the Catalan language, which is spoken by many islanders today. The 13th-15th century were a golden age with a vast increase in population and wealth, but as Spain began to turn her attention to the New World, her Mediterranean territories became less important. The pirate attacks increased but otherwise little of historical importance happened in the next few centuries, other than building many churches and houses for nobility. In more recent times with the post-war advent of mass tourism, Mallorca's fortunes have been revived and changed forever the former agricultural-based economy.
And...tourism is very alive and well today. As we journey down the coast, there is scarcely a beach that is not tightly packed with sun worshippers until late into the evening. All the coves and bays are full of pleasure craft, from small runabouts to very large motor cruisers, yachts and day tripping ferries and catamarans. All this makes for a lively scene and the impression we have gained is that the Spanish economy is quite buoyant. However taxi drivers tell a different story!
Having sorted out our domestic needs, we relaxed a while in Porto Cristo. After a cafe breakfast John opted to wash down Trilogy while the rest of us visited the local excellent caves, 'Las Cuevas del Drach'. With the heat above ground soaring, the cave visit was a great choice. The caves were already known in the Middle Ages and since the early phase of exploration, they have been a reference point for worldwide spieliological study. The circuit through the caves is about 1.2 kms and there are several lakes, the largest being 170 metres long and between 4-12 metres deep. The cave formations are of excellent quality and every bit as good as Jenolan Caves in NSW and more spectacular as it is one continuous cave. The highlight of the visit was a classical music recital by two violinists, a cello and harmonium. The musicians glided along in a long row boat lit only at the gunnels and superbly guided by a silhouetted boatman's oars. The crowd were seated in the cave amphitheatre and the well known melodies ( including Canon de Pachabel) perfectly filled the otherwise silent space. Quite a wonderful experience!
When we all gathered back on board, Trilogy departed the marina in the late afternoon for a quieter anchorage a bit further south. As we manoeuvred Trilogy clear of all mooring lines, we encountered three dive boats, one yacht, one large ferry and a crowded tourist catamaran all entering the narrow waterway together. The skipper had opted to reverse Trilogy down the waterway as there had been little room to turn, and this made life very interesting for a while.
We nudged our way into another lovely natural cove, Cala Magraner, where we anchored for the night. The bay was filled with yachts on arrival and another two yachts arrived after Trilogy. By morning, the last two yachts to arrive had taken off for elsewhere and maybe their exposure to the swell in the mouth of the bay had proved too uncomfortable. First thing, the skipper spent quite some time making phone calls to track down an English speaking engineer in Palma, but all to no avail....the problem of getting service organised in advance is always a frustrating challenge! A swim works wonders when frustrations are high, especially when it is followed by coffee and peanut butter toast on the foredeck!
Next stop, Cala Mondrago. The journey was special as we had a very light breeze on a beam reach and this lead to hoisting the beloved Code Zero sail, our secret weapon that won us the Beneteau Cup in Italian waters in 2012. This beautiful gossamer light sail was hoisted forward of the headsail and unfurled before the headsail was furled. Trilogy lifted from 2.5 - 3 knots to 6 knots in a flash! We were all so engrossed in the sail that the way point was missed and we had to do a U turn and pass all the yachts we had just overtaken....
Cala Mondrago was full of pleasure craft as it was mid-afternoon. The usual plethora of craft squeezed into the bay but with our inimitable style, we anchored well and settled to eat and imbibe the scene. Two beaches, connected by a well used walking trail around the headland, were covered in umbrellas and deck chairs. The beach water was filled with swimmers, risk taking young people were jumping off the rocky headlands and pleasure craft were emptying their enthusiastic passengers into deep water, some via enormous slippery slides. We spotted some inviting limestone caves at water level and before long we had joined the throng and made our somewhat hazardous across the bay, hoping none of the crazy drivers would run us down. One cave we could swim through had lovely purple and green colours below water level. Another two caves were superbly deep and extensively covered with the purple rocks both above and below the water surge, which was probably created by a lichen but in parts the rocks were smooth to touch. As we have come to expect, the beach had plenty of female topless sun worshippers with occasional full nudity and our boys felt they had to be careful where they put their feet!
A T-bone steak for dinner washed down with Spanish red and to the sound of Billy Joel's 'Piano Man' was all we could possibly have needed to finish the day. Once more nearly all other craft had left the bay and we were left alone with the beauty and enjoying the peace and gentle rock of Trilogy.
Vessel Name: Trilogy
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau Oceanis 54
Hailing Port: Sydney, Australia
Crew: Owners: Garth & Rosalind Brice; Steven & Irene Ring; Peter & Susan Lucey; Paul & Sue Jones: Previous partners: John & Myra Rowling; Rick Scott-Murphy & Susan Alexander
About: The crew all live in Canberra, Australia and have raced and cruised together in the Canberra Ocean Racing Club.
Extra: Trilogy cruised through the Mediterranean for four seasons before crossing the Atlantic with the ARC to the Caribbean. Following three seasons in the Caribbean we sailed back across the Atlantic in 2018 and are now continuing to cruise in the Med.
Trilogy's Photos - Main
With Trilogy securely berthed in Cavalaier Sur Mer the crew took the 30 minute bus trip north to St Tropez and rubbed shoulders with the rich and famous.
4 Photos
Created 13 May 2019
6 Photos
Created 10 October 2014
11 Photos
Created 9 October 2014
10 Photos
Created 9 October 2014
9 Photos
Created 9 October 2014
6 Photos
Created 9 October 2014
6 Photos
Created 2 October 2014
5 Photos
Created 30 September 2014
8 Photos
Created 30 September 2014
5 Photos
Created 28 September 2014
9 Photos
Created 28 September 2014
12 Photos
Created 28 September 2014
14 Photos
Created 24 September 2014
4 Photos
Created 23 September 2014
8 Photos
Created 21 September 2014
35 Photos
Created 20 September 2014
21 Photos
Created 19 September 2014
Turkey
2 Photos
Created 14 July 2014
Turkey
21 Photos
Created 12 July 2014
Turkey
14 Photos
Created 11 July 2014
Skipper Garth Brice
4 Photos
Created 9 July 2014
1 Photo
Created 7 July 2014
Skipper: Garth Brice
1 Photo
Created 7 July 2014
Skipper: Garth Brice
1 Photo
Created 7 July 2014
21 Photos
Created 12 June 2014
29 Photos
Created 31 May 2014
35 Photos
Created 31 May 2014
49 Photos
Created 29 May 2014
49 Photos
Created 29 May 2014
29 Photos
Created 29 May 2014
13 Photos
Created 12 May 2014
17 Photos
Created 12 May 2014
19 Photos
Created 12 May 2014
18 Photos
Created 12 May 2014
17 Photos
Created 12 May 2014
15 Photos
Created 12 May 2014
19 Photos
Created 12 May 2014
20 Photos
Created 6 April 2014
10 Photos
Created 6 October 2013
20 Photos
Created 26 September 2013
12 Photos
Created 26 September 2013
22 Photos
Created 15 September 2013
15 Photos
Created 15 September 2013
13 Photos
Created 15 September 2013
10 Photos
Created 15 September 2013
20 Photos
Created 10 September 2013
19 Photos
Created 10 September 2013
21 Photos
Created 10 September 2013
10 Photos
Created 10 September 2013
6 Photos
Created 5 August 2013
14 Photos
Created 5 August 2013
16 Photos
Created 5 August 2013
The jewel of the Adriatic
20 Photos
Created 26 July 2013
Largely of Diocletan's palace
29 Photos
Created 23 July 2013
Covers Garth and Ros' sweep along the Croatian Dalmation coast and through the Croatian islands in June/July 2013
70 Photos
Created 29 June 2013
6 Photos
Created 24 October 2012
6 Photos
Created 24 October 2012
9 Photos
Created 24 October 2012
24 Photos
Created 2 October 2012
16 Photos
Created 2 October 2012
26 Photos
Created 1 October 2012
39 Photos
Created 17 September 2012
25 Photos
Created 26 August 2012
18 Photos
Created 26 August 2012
8 Photos
Created 26 August 2012
14 Photos
Created 26 August 2012
8 Photos
Created 26 August 2012
20 Photos
Created 26 August 2012
29 Photos
Created 31 July 2012
47 Photos
Created 31 July 2012
10 Photos
Created 31 July 2012
9 Photos
Created 31 July 2012
29 Photos
Created 15 July 2012
Cruising along the Italian Riviera
29 Photos
Created 14 July 2012
A quick view of the port of Monaco and a wander around Menton:last port for Trilogy before entering Italy
34 Photos
Created 12 June 2012
30 Photos
Created 5 June 2012
The film festival - Festival du Cannes
31 Photos
Created 27 May 2012
Rick, John and Susan's photos around St-Tropez
31 Photos
Created 25 May 2012
Port Bandol in the the Cote d Azur and the medieval village nearby of Le Castelet
42 Photos
Created 13 May 2012
A quick tour of the town and the nearby callanques
7 Photos
Created 11 May 2012
Isles du Firoul and Marseille
32 Photos
Created 9 May 2012
Walk around the pilgrims town
10 Photos
Created 6 May 2012
The Venice of South France
22 Photos
Created 29 April 2012
Strolling around the old town of Agde
20 Photos
Created 26 April 2012
Shots of Trilogy's interior for our friends who wanted to see what she looked like below decks
8 Photos
Created 24 April 2012