The Anderson Adventures

12 November 2011
06 November 2011 | Somewhere in the North Atlantic
04 November 2011 | Hupper Island, ME
01 November 2011 | Newport
24 October 2011 | Newport, R.I.
21 October 2011 | Booth Bay Harbor, ME
18 October 2011 | Booth Bay Harbor, Maine
15 October 2011 | Hupper Island
07 October 2010 | Hupper Island
14 June 2010 | Hupper Island
03 March 2010 | Hupper Island
23 December 2009 | Hupper Island
18 December 2009 | Hupper Island
09 November 2009 | Hupper Island
30 September 2009 | Hupper Island
08 September 2009 | Hupper Island
02 September 2009 | Hupper Island, Port Clyde, ME

Maine to Newport... FINALLY

24 October 2011 | Newport, R.I.
Jan
Maine's grip finally loosened enough for an early Saturday 6am departure from BoothBay.... after the 1st 20 hours we were definitely glad we waited for a bit calmer seas, as the 4-7ft we experienced was plenty bumpy enough and the winds while only about 15mph was just about 20 degrees off our nose, so motor sailing was the only option. BUT I'm happy to say that by the 10:00pm hour when Rob went down for his "4 hour sleep" we could turn the motor off. We needed the engine on again for about an hour then when I went down, we could once again SAIL!!! We arrived just at dawn about 6am at the entrance of the Canal, as we were able to maintain 6knts instead of our planned 5 knots. We needed to wait until the 7:00 at slack tide in the canal to make our way thru with only a couple of dense fog banks to contend with...fortunately traffic was only behind us, with no boats coming toward us! We arrived in Newport about 4pm Sunday night, pretty much motor sailing the whole way, as it was a welcomed "FLAT CALM" water with probably 5 knots of wind!
Alas, today (Monday) the preparation begins....1st on the list...turn the boat around, in between the dock fingers, so we would be stern in, making it easier to deal with the dinghy and access for electric. Then on to many boat chores, new watermaker pump ordered, liferaft repacking scheduled, new insurance preparations, washing the boat down (lots of salt buildup) stowing the dingy on deck for the passage and meeting Becky Dorrie & Ross & Lisa Harris (from Hupper Island) for dinner tonight! Would you believe I actually scrapped some of the peeling "Cetol" from the toe rails in a few spare minutes! Rob even needed to get reacquainted with his 'huka" system! A line wrapped on the prop while turning the boat and no diver hanging around. The water was actually much warmer than in Maine and definitely clearer and the good news is he untangled the wrap and all is FINE...phew! Needless to say day 1 of dock life is done and we learned a few things, remembered a few more things we had forgotten, got some of the chores checked off the list and ended the day in the cockpit for happy hour with friends! Welcome back Rob & Jan...we are cruisers once again!!!! (Terri & Lyman & sans cles...we miss you)
Comments
Vessel Name: Triple Stars
Vessel Make/Model: Island Packet 380
Hailing Port: San Francisco, CA
Crew: Rob & Jan Anderson
About:
Rob & Jan sailed from Sausalito, Ca on October 11, 2007, headed south. Our ultimate destination is down Mexico, Central America to Panama. We will transit the canal end of 2008. We will then travel up towards N. America again, ending in Port Clyde, Maine in spring of 2009. [...]
Extra:
What a journey we have had! We arrived in Port Clyde, Maine in June 2009. A rainy, chilly summer on Hupper Island but thrilled to have completed our journey. We began building the addition onto our summer home which was finished in September 2010. Rennovation of the original house is in the [...]

Who: Rob & Jan Anderson
Port: San Francisco, CA