11/04/2011, Hupper Island, ME
Just a real quick note to let you know we are safe and in a safe zone...we diverted course to follow a more conservative route (with assistance from Weather guy Herb on the SSB) We are staying as far East and north of the Nor'easter that is coming from the US towards Bermuda and points south, as we can. (We are N of 37N) So while we will have some strong winds (30-35) it's nothing we can't handle. BUT most likely won't be in to Bermuda until sometime Monday! Remember...we did we leave last Tuesday...so we are in day 3 with 3 more to go.
The really good news is the sun came...we both took showers...ahhhhh....and it feels like 80. We saw several dolphins today and we are having a lovely motor boat ride ... The sails today are just for show! Almost no wind and what there is can't make up it's mind which direction it wants to blow.
I believe there were 15 or 16 boats that left Newport...2 have stopped for repairs (headed to Block Island and NY) 4 will most likely make it in to Bermuda tonight and the rest of us are pretty much scattered.
We will contact you again after we arrive in Bermuda
Weather meeting in 45 minutes....Scheduled departure mid-afternoon and what looks to be a SMALL weather window....
While we do not have a Spot Tracker, many boats do and you might find it interesting to track the fleet. We are the 2nd smallest boat in the fleet, so we will definitely be bringing up the rear. The guy at the end of the parade with the broom! We should be in Bermuda by Monday.....
The URL's for the various tracking sites:
Google Maps: http://www.hawketracking.org/narc/files/tracking.htm
Google Maps Large: http://www.hawketracking.org/narc/files/trackinglarge.htm
10/24/2011, Newport, R.I.
Maine's grip finally loosened enough for an early Saturday 6am departure from BoothBay.... after the 1st 20 hours we were definitely glad we waited for a bit calmer seas, as the 4-7ft we experienced was plenty bumpy enough and the winds while only about 15mph was just about 20 degrees off our nose, so motor sailing was the only option. BUT I'm happy to say that by the 10:00pm hour when Rob went down for his "4 hour sleep" we could turn the motor off. We needed the engine on again for about an hour then when I went down, we could once again SAIL!!! We arrived just at dawn about 6am at the entrance of the Canal, as we were able to maintain 6knts instead of our planned 5 knots. We needed to wait until the 7:00 at slack tide in the canal to make our way thru with only a couple of dense fog banks to contend with...fortunately traffic was only behind us, with no boats coming toward us! We arrived in Newport about 4pm Sunday night, pretty much motor sailing the whole way, as it was a welcomed "FLAT CALM" water with probably 5 knots of wind!
Alas, today (Monday) the preparation begins....1st on the list...turn the boat around, in between the dock fingers, so we would be stern in, making it easier to deal with the dinghy and access for electric. Then on to many boat chores, new watermaker pump ordered, liferaft repacking scheduled, new insurance preparations, washing the boat down (lots of salt buildup) stowing the dingy on deck for the passage and meeting Becky Dorrie & Ross & Lisa Harris (from Hupper Island) for dinner tonight! Would you believe I actually scrapped some of the peeling "Cetol" from the toe rails in a few spare minutes! Rob even needed to get reacquainted with his 'huka" system! A line wrapped on the prop while turning the boat and no diver hanging around. The water was actually much warmer than in Maine and definitely clearer and the good news is he untangled the wrap and all is FINE...phew! Needless to say day 1 of dock life is done and we learned a few things, remembered a few more things we had forgotten, got some of the chores checked off the list and ended the day in the cockpit for happy hour with friends! Welcome back Rob & Jan...we are cruisers once again!!!! (Terri & Lyman & sans cles...we miss you)