Bookmark and Share
The Anderson Adventures
So here we sit
11/06/2011, Somewhere in the North Atlantic

So far I must say the weather has been...STINKY...the past couple of days have been tough, but we are "hove to" and resting talking with our weather guru guy on the SSB..HERB..who has been doing this for many years, we are in good shape and there are a few boats all spread around this region just hanging out waiting for this Storm Low pressure before we can move any closer to Bermuda. It apparently stalled, producing 40-50+ winds, high seas, stormy conditions some of what we saw on Saturday! The good news is we are drifting the right direction (ENE)to hang out for a couple of days to wait to see what this low does, once it that pesky gets moving again. SO...we won't be in Bermuda until at least Thursday, maybe Friday and we are just taking one day at a time. We have plenty of food & drink on board and will be REALLY looking for the Laundromat in Bermuda

We are both good...a bit tired but will hopefully both get some sleep tonight. DO NOT WORRY... we are doing fine. Will write more as we know more and can use the computer, as sometimes it's just too rocky.

Not to worry you all, but 2 boats from the NARC fleet, who some of you might have been tracking with the "Spot" tracker, neither of which are really close to our location, had to call the coast guard. That is exactly why we are NOT traveling any further south towards Bermuda and are glad we went a more northerly route. A few of the faster boats did make it to Bermuda on Saturday, but they were all 48-53 footers with oodles of fuel (and used it) and can motor 8-9 knots to "beat" some of the nasty weather.

Love you all and will update as we can

We are in safe zone
11/04/2011, Hupper Island, ME

Just a real quick note to let you know we are safe and in a safe zone...we diverted course to follow a more conservative route (with assistance from Weather guy Herb on the SSB) We are staying as far East and north of the Nor'easter that is coming from the US towards Bermuda and points south, as we can. (We are N of 37N) So while we will have some strong winds (30-35) it's nothing we can't handle. BUT most likely won't be in to Bermuda until sometime Monday! Remember...we did we leave last we are in day 3 with 3 more to go.

The really good news is the sun came...we both took showers...ahhhhh....and it feels like 80. We saw several dolphins today and we are having a lovely motor boat ride ... The sails today are just for show! Almost no wind and what there is can't make up it's mind which direction it wants to blow.

I believe there were 15 or 16 boats that left Newport...2 have stopped for repairs (headed to Block Island and NY) 4 will most likely make it in to Bermuda tonight and the rest of us are pretty much scattered.

We will contact you again after we arrive in Bermuda

Looks like today might be the day
11/01/2011, Newport

Weather meeting in 45 minutes....Scheduled departure mid-afternoon and what looks to be a SMALL weather window....

While we do not have a Spot Tracker, many boats do and you might find it interesting to track the fleet. We are the 2nd smallest boat in the fleet, so we will definitely be bringing up the rear. The guy at the end of the parade with the broom! We should be in Bermuda by Monday.....

The URL's for the various tracking sites:
Google Maps:
Google Maps Large:

Newer ]  |  [ Older ]


Who: Rob & Jan Anderson
Port: San Francisco, CA
View Complete Profile »

Powered by SailBlogs