The Anderson Adventures

12 November 2011
06 November 2011 | Somewhere in the North Atlantic
04 November 2011 | Hupper Island, ME
01 November 2011 | Newport
24 October 2011 | Newport, R.I.
21 October 2011 | Booth Bay Harbor, ME
18 October 2011 | Booth Bay Harbor, Maine
15 October 2011 | Hupper Island
07 October 2010 | Hupper Island
14 June 2010 | Hupper Island
03 March 2010 | Hupper Island
23 December 2009 | Hupper Island
18 December 2009 | Hupper Island
09 November 2009 | Hupper Island
30 September 2009 | Hupper Island
08 September 2009 | Hupper Island
02 September 2009 | Hupper Island, Port Clyde, ME

Here we wait....and wait....

15 January 2009 | French Harbour, Roatan
Jan
We arrived in French Harbor after only 2 hours time...Not bad for leaving in party sunny skies, to getting thru 2 little rain squalls and very cloudy skies. We hung out in front of the entrance to the harbor for about 20 minutes or so, awaiting a break in the clouds and the drizzle to pass to shine little daylight so we could see some of the shallows and reefs we were needing to steer clear of to get into the harbor. Their buoy markers should be just a tiny bit bigger, as the white one you keep to your port and the black post in the water you keep to your starboard are only about 3 feet out of the water...and then there is a rock head that just breaks the surface that's past the black post that you need to keep to your starboard, but then make a "sweeping turn" to get into the channel..... Oh yea...you'll need to head on a diagonal to the island watching for the shallow spot that lies ahead of you....See why it's so important to have good light! But with some direction from Jay on Jupiter Smile (another IP packeteer) and Jan on the bow and Rob following his route and waypoints on the chart plotter, we made it in safe and sound. We anchored in 20 feet of grassy sand but it stuck pretty well. While we were one of only 6 boats now in the anchorage...in the next 24 hrs we are amongst 24 boats anchored here to await the "nasty, abominable " squally weather that has been forecasted from the Yucatan Peninsula, thru Belize and into the Honduras, Bay Islands (which is where we are)! While overcast and showery for the past 4 days...It really hasn't been all that bad here in the anchorage. We arrived on Monday, Tuesday just stayed aboard sitting thru some squally weather and Wednesday with some periods of sunny sky, went to provision in the morning...WELL...by the time we got to the store, the rain started, and in an hour or so, we were loaded to the gills, got the stuff in the dinghy and in rain and choppy seas, spilling over the bow with every wave, made our way back to Triple Stars! What a nasty trip! Thursday brought some pretty awesome weather sights.. By 10am we had seen 2 different funnel clouds and 2 different swirly surface rain bursts travel along the sky. One funnel cloud even was sucked down into the swirling water on the ocean's surface. The energy within those systems were pretty intense. We were sure glad we didn't take off that day! But the rest of the day was pretty cloudy and little periods of showers. Friday, we decided to check out in Coxen's Hole, still waiting for all of this "foul" weather to either come or pass us by! While we only saw sun for a few brief moments, we have just had cloudy weather. We even followed the leads of many of the local cruisers here in the anchorage and put out our secondary, storm anchor, in ANTICIPATION or preparation of the 35+ knots squalls that were forecasted for the area. 1 boat did drag, but other than that we seem to be very secure but still alittle freaked about all the "pending nasty stuff" that is still be forecasted. So stay tuned...we hope to leave on Sunday, but if weather is not good we may have to wait until Monday....Kristen & Chris arrive Tuesday at 11:30am so....only time/weather will tell...
Comments
Vessel Name: Triple Stars
Vessel Make/Model: Island Packet 380
Hailing Port: San Francisco, CA
Crew: Rob & Jan Anderson
About:
Rob & Jan sailed from Sausalito, Ca on October 11, 2007, headed south. Our ultimate destination is down Mexico, Central America to Panama. We will transit the canal end of 2008. We will then travel up towards N. America again, ending in Port Clyde, Maine in spring of 2009. [...]
Extra:
What a journey we have had! We arrived in Port Clyde, Maine in June 2009. A rainy, chilly summer on Hupper Island but thrilled to have completed our journey. We began building the addition onto our summer home which was finished in September 2010. Rennovation of the original house is in the [...]

Who: Rob & Jan Anderson
Port: San Francisco, CA