Another Day In Paradise

19 March 2013 | Rodney Bay, St. Lucia
03 February 2013 | Simpson Lagoon
01 January 2013 | Simpson Bay
24 December 2012 | Simpson Lagoon
07 December 2012 | St. Martin
28 November 2012 | Old Road Bay
24 November 2012 | Les Saintes
11 November 2012 | Rodney Bay
05 November 2012 | Admiralty Bay
28 October 2012 | Tyrell Bay, Carriacou
29 September 2012 | Mount Hartman Bay, Grenada
17 September 2012 | Mount Hartman Bay
03 September 2012 | Mount Hartman Bay
07 August 2012 | Port Egmont
26 July 2012 | Mount Hartman Bay
13 July 2012 | St. George
23 June 2012 | Clark's Cove Bay, Grenada
12 June 2012 | Prickly Bay, Grenada
09 June 2012 | Prickly Bay, Grenada
01 June 2012 | Grenadines-St. Vincent

More Power For Us!

17 September 2012 | Mount Hartman Bay
Dan
Hi
It’s been a while since I did a blog. Well I have been busy, not that busy that I could not write a blog, Sue does such a nice job.
When we got here in Grenada we realised we had a power problem. We were not constantly moving and the batteries were not getting the full charge. So we got a Xantrex Smart meter. This has helped us analyse what we should do next. This meter gives you what amperage goes into the batteries and what percentage there is left in the batteries, it also tells you how many amps we are using.
That refrigeration is sure using a lot of power, six amps and it runs about sixteen hrs a day. If you do the maths it adds up to quite a lot of power. We had to decide what we were going to do. The wind generator was not very efficient and we considered changing it. I’m happy we didn’t do it. Instead we got another solar panel and regulator.
The panel is a 240W and the regulator is a Blue Sky the same model I put in originally, so they run together, one is the master and the other as the slave. So know we are getting lots a power during the day at least. It’s 10:30 AM and I’m getting about 30amps in the batteries know and by noon they should be at about 90% full, the last 10% is done at a much slower rate and it is not using the full power from the solar panels, so then I can start the water maker and run it for three hours. We do the water every other day. As you can see we have to constantly keep an eye on the system, but it works on most sunny days.
By the way these project need a lot of planning because the material is not always available here on the Island, and the parts may have to be ordered from the States.
My next move has far as power is concerned is to change my battery charger. It’s a 30amps and it is to slow to charge the batteries using the Honda generator. There is always room for improvement.
I have been helping friends with the installation of solar panel and some refrigeration also. We give each other a hand. A friend’s boat had his steering seizing. We worked on that for three days.
My next project will probably be to start to replace the standing rigging. By that I mean the wire holding the mast. They are 18 years old. They still look good but you cannot wait for them to brake because then it would be a disaster. I’m still at the research stage on that project.
In between these projects there is always time for those cruisers gatherings and the odd beer.
Comments
Vessel Name: Triumph
Vessel Make/Model: Hunter 37.5
Hailing Port: Point Edward, ON
Crew: Dan & Sue
About: Due to the partial closure of the Erie Canal, we had to implement plan B. Our boat will be shipped from Harrison Twp., MI to Chesapeake, VA.

s/v Triumph

Who: Dan & Sue
Port: Point Edward, ON