Another Day In Paradise

19 March 2013 | Rodney Bay, St. Lucia
03 February 2013 | Simpson Lagoon
01 January 2013 | Simpson Bay
24 December 2012 | Simpson Lagoon
07 December 2012 | St. Martin
28 November 2012 | Old Road Bay
24 November 2012 | Les Saintes
11 November 2012 | Rodney Bay
05 November 2012 | Admiralty Bay
28 October 2012 | Tyrell Bay, Carriacou
29 September 2012 | Mount Hartman Bay, Grenada
17 September 2012 | Mount Hartman Bay
03 September 2012 | Mount Hartman Bay
07 August 2012 | Port Egmont
26 July 2012 | Mount Hartman Bay
13 July 2012 | St. George
23 June 2012 | Clark's Cove Bay, Grenada
12 June 2012 | Prickly Bay, Grenada
09 June 2012 | Prickly Bay, Grenada
01 June 2012 | Grenadines-St. Vincent

Ernesto

07 August 2012 | Port Egmont
Sue
For those of you who have been keeping an eye on the weather, you will know that tropical storm Ernesto was heading our way.
The following will give you an insight on how we tracked the storm and how we dealt with it.
Every day, that we have internet access, we check PassageWeather.com and NOAA to find out what the local weather will bring for the next day or so, as well as any activity that is developing in the Atlantic.
Last weekend a cluster of disorganized thunder storms was identified off Cape Verde and was given a 20% chance of becoming a tropical storm, moving at 10 - 12 knots; a tropical storm will sustain winds of up to 39 knots.
We started to follow the weather on Underground Weather as well since they also provide different scenarios as to where the storm will travel. One of the scenarios was between Trinidad & Grenada and another scenario had the storm tracking in Southern Grenada which is where we presently are; this caught the attention of everyone in our area. By Tuesday, the storm intensified to a 40% chance of becoming a tropical storm, moving at 15 knots and there was still a possibility that it would head our way.
On Wednesday morning, when the probability of a tropical storm increased to 60% we decided to relocate to Port Egmont which is a hurricane hole, three bays over from where we were; there were 8 boats when we arrived and 5 more came after. The bay itself could accommodate approximately 25 boats at anchor.
At the end of the afternoon, the storm, now named Ernesto veered slightly south, heading in our direction.
In preparation for the storm, we had set a second anchor, removed the head sail, tied down the wind generator & solar panels, removed our flags and picked up anything on deck that could have blown away; our diesel and water tanks we full.
Before going to bed, we set the vhf radio to channel 68 and near the companion way we had a spotlight, air horn, rain coats and gloves; we were prepared in case we had to get up during the night.
Fortunately, later in the evening the storm veered north. We were lucky to catch only the tail end of it with winds of approximately 20 knots accompanied by occasional squalls.
Overall, we were comfortable with our strategy and should we have to prepare again, we would follow the same plan.
Comments
Vessel Name: Triumph
Vessel Make/Model: Hunter 37.5
Hailing Port: Point Edward, ON
Crew: Dan & Sue
About: Due to the partial closure of the Erie Canal, we had to implement plan B. Our boat will be shipped from Harrison Twp., MI to Chesapeake, VA.

s/v Triumph

Who: Dan & Sue
Port: Point Edward, ON