s/v Tropical Spice

26 November 2008 | Cocoa Village, FL
11 November 2008 | Sunny, few cirrus clouds, breezy, cool
06 November 2008 | Town Creek Marina
04 November 2008 | Town Creek Marina, Beaufort NC
14 October 2008 | Kill Devil Hills, North Carolina
17 March 2008 | Taken by his breeder in Sarasota, FL designed to entice Peggy to fall head over heels in love with him so she would drive from NC to FL and back again with him. Which she did.
16 March 2008 | or

South on the ICW

04 November 2008 | Town Creek Marina, Beaufort NC
Location: Off ICW mile marker 203
We became Liveaboards Saturday, November 1, 2008!

Departed Colington Harbour, Kill Devil Hills, NC at 2:30 PM and headed across Albemarle Sound for Alligator Marina where we topped off the fuel. Diesel was $2.92 - only needed 60 gallons since our trip down the Chesapeake in May when we filled our 170 gallon tank at $4.50 a gallon in Baltimore!

Weather was warm, sunny and FLAT - dead calm flat.

Alligator Marina is just across from our summer on-the-hook hangout where we have enjoyed warm weather, steaks on the grill while swimming and puttering about in the dinghy for 3 and 4 day shakedown cruises over the summer.

Spent the night at the marina and left at first light heading SOUTH!

Huge barge came out just as we entered the Pungo River Canal. Actually 3 barges end to end with a tug on each end. It was carrying a large crane, very long shaft and other equipment. Interesting thing was that it was covered in foam. Tons of the stuff - which looked like icebergs trailing for quite a long ways behind. Forgot to get the camera out!

Mile Marker 110, soup and crackers for lunch. Bo enjoying bird and boat watching!. Quite warm, I am sunbathing!

Went under the RT 94 Bridge Mother and I crossed so many times on our way to stay at the River Forest Manor in Bellhaven on the ICW every fall so we could go hot air ballooning during their fall festival.

Miss her bunches! She would have loved Tropical Spice. I still use my now well-worn sailing gloves she gave me from the Grand Banks trawler she and my stepfather owned. Her sofa pillows are now in our salon. I guess a bit of her is ever present with me living her cruising dreams too.

Today's weather (Tuesday November 4th, 2008. Election Day!) is TOTALLY AWFUL! Big storm system - high winds 62mph and rain!!

We came into Town Creek Marina last night - just as the bottom fell out and the rains came down. Thank goodness for our Boat US insurance ( thanks guys at West Marine!!!!) there were boats on the hook in the channel into the marina - so...rather than bother the boaters my genteel captain (English manners to the max!) went around them and we went aground. Oh well, accidents happen.

Without the Boat US membership we would have incurred a $800 tow bill. Again, THANK YOU Nags Head West Marine guys!!!

On our way here, however, we saw a house I chastised myself later for not taking pictures of -- awestruck as I was. It was named "It is Five O'clock Somewhere" spelled out in multicolored letters with a large parrot leading the way. The house was chartreuse and hot pink! Definitely a fun, party house!

On the flip side - we also saw two lovely classic boats - one said 1933 Electric Light Company flying a Maryland flag. It was accompanied by a sister ship from Dover Delaware.
















Comments
Vessel Name: Tropical Spice
Vessel Make/Model: Wellington 44 built in 1981 in Jacksonville, FL
Hailing Port: Colington Harbour, Kill Devil Hills, North Carolina
Crew: Dave, Peggy & Bo our Portuguese Water Dog.
About:
After spending ten of the best years of my life living on my 36ft. sailboat and working in the Bahamas and Caribbean (I'm a PADI dive instructor) I had to give it up to look after my very sick Sister in the UK. [...]
Extra: http://ssca.org/cgi-bin/pagegen.pl?pg=home&title=Home
Home Page: /member/tropicalspice

S/V TROPICAL SPICE

Who: Dave, Peggy & Bo our Portuguese Water Dog.
Port: Colington Harbour, Kill Devil Hills, North Carolina