Bookmark and Share
Troubadour's Travels
Offshore to Beaufort
05/07/2011, Coast Guard Station

Pulled anchor and got underway at 6:15 am. Dense fog in Wrightsville Beach. Very wet. Put up the mainsail before negotiating the Masonboro Inlet. Once we got thru the inlet the fog wasn't as bad: colder water in the ocean took care of that. Pulled out the jib sail and motored with two sails up. NW winds and 3-4 foot swells. Fishermen galore also out there; fog doesn't seem to bother them at all.

At 0800 all sails were up and the engine off. Doing 6 to 7 knots with the sails doing nicely on a beam reach. Cold and damp so far.

Nancy got a little seasick from the wave motion; crackers and ginger tea did the trick. Getting up in the cockpit was good too. So far the sun isn't warming up Troubadour very well.. The easterly swells are conflicting with the NW wind chop, making for and interesting and complicated sea.

The wind kind of fizzled out around noon--down to 6 knots true. We took the stay sail down and started the engine. Jib came down shortly after. Gave up the ghost on the main sail and it came down at 2 pm. The wind had shifted to the SW and is around 3 knots true. Oh well.

The Beaufort inlet was a little rough with the current against us. We'd wrapped up our headsail instead of struggling to do a jibe in such big squirrely waves. Halfway in we pulled it out a little just to steady the boat. Lots of big fishermen boats coming in producing amazing wakes; which added to the already big waves.

Made it to the Ft. Macon anchorage near the Coast Guard station around the corner and dropped the hook at 5 pm. This is a new anchorage for Troubadour.

| | More
05/03/2011, Wrightsville Beach

Left the dock at Southport Marina at 7:09 am with several other boats, mostly power also heading north. Put up the main sail immediately although the wind was very light. Engine on as well.

Did many boat chores yesterday--fuel and water, laundry, garbage, ice - and gave Troubadour a much needed bath. Great to have running water that isn't salty. The crew took a walk in town, had lunch at PJ's diner and a latte at a coffee shop. Good time. Southport full of history and real pretty with lots of old homes.

We rode the current up the Cape Fear River to get thru Snow's Cut. a little easier. We went thru the cut without a hitch, although the current as 1/2 knot against us. No big deal. The main sail was still up but not doing much.

Dropped the anchor in Wrightsville Beach near the bridge at 11 am. Very windy and gusty. Had lunch and launched the dinghy.

| | More
Land Fix
05/01/2011, Southport

We went thru the Socastee Bridge at 9:15 am. Just 30 statute miles to go to Calabash anchorage. .

Entered the "rockpile" near Myrtle Beach around 9:45 am. So far, no real boat traffic. It's Sunday so that may change. Very quiet and lots of big awesome homes.

We tried to get into Calabash anchorage at dead low tide. Mistake. We went softly aground due to some confusion with the entrance markers and the fact that it was low low low tide. With engine, jib sail up and line to volunteer power boat we were able to get off cleanly. Decided to bag this anchorage and continued further south to Southport. Called for a slip reservation.

Tied up at the fuel dock in Southport Marina around 7 pm and looked foreword to walks through Southport.

| | More
05/24/2011 | Regina
Calabash is one of our stops while in Myrtle Beach...lovely place, amazing food!

Miss you!

Newer ]  |  [ Older ]


Who: Ed & Nancy
Port: Boston
View Complete Profile »

Powered by SailBlogs