Troubadour

Living the Dream

Who: Captain Chris May & Admiral Linda Moore
Port: Key Largo, Florida (But we're from Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA)
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. " --Mark Twain
20 December 2011 | US Virgin Islands
03 October 2011 | Culebra, Puerto Rico
21 August 2011 | Ceiba, Puerto Rico
17 August 2011 | Roosevelt Roads Marina, Puerto Rico
24 June 2011 | Roosevelt Roads, Puerto Rico
13 June 2011 | Ponce, Puerto Rico
05 June 2011 | Boca Chica, DR
26 May 2011 | Ile a Vache, Haiti
21 May 2011 | Manzanillo Bay
14 May 2011 | Ocean World Marina
19 April 2011 | Sapodilla Bay, Provo, Turks & Caicos
13 April 2011 | Sapodilla Bay, Provo, Turks & Caicos
05 April 2011 | Sapodilla Bay, Provo, Turks & Caicos
30 March 2011 | Clarence Town, Long Island, Bahamas
28 March 2011 | Clarence Town, Long Island
21 March 2011 | Georgetown, Great Exuma
15 March 2011 | Georgetown, Great Exuma
13 February 2011 | Georgetown, Great Exuma
29 January 2011 | Georgetown, Great Exuma

Georgetown

29 January 2011 | Georgetown, Great Exuma
Captain Chris
So it's going on three weeks here in Georgetown, hard to believe! We've been involved with some of the activities here, and have caught up on some boat stuff. We are still anchored near the Sand Bar, formerly the P & P Beach Club (as it's shown in the Explorer Chartbook 5th ed). The Sand Bar has a cruiser get-together on Sunday nights with a jam session, and I have taken my guitar there the last few weeks and joined in, lots of fun had by all. Linda helped with a swimming class, and led some beach yoga again. There's been beach cocktail parties, a DJ dance, as well as more activities than we could have participated in.

When we're not busy having fun, we take the dinghy into town to drop off our trash in the dumpster, pick up groceries, and fill our water jugs with the free water from Exuma Markets. Free water may not seem like much to those in the states, but it has to be produced by reverse osmosis here in the islands and lots of places charge $0.20 to $0.50 a gallon.

We have hiked around Stocking Island, including up the hill to the navigation monument (obelisk), which affords a great view of both Exuma Sound and the anchorage. We also walked a few miles up and down Great Exuma, taking time to browse the NAPA store and get some great cracked conch at one of the colorful beach restaurants at the "Fish Fry", an area that reminds us of Potter's Cay in Nassau.

We are struggling to keep up with the humidity and mildew. We are frequently wiping down items with Spray 9 as we discover, via sight or smell, any mildew, and have thrown out/donated items that we think we can now live without, like some of our old deck shoes we haven't worn in the last two years and a canvas briefcase. Some of our foul weather gear now has mildew spots that won't wash out, but I guess that's the life of a cruiser.

One of the other casualties has been the Mini-Moos we bought in bulk in Florida for when we couldn't get fresh half-and-half. Although these individual UHT creamers didn't spoil, the solids separated out and got to the point where they weren't useable, so they have gone into the trash. UHT whole milk is readily available and is much less expensive than refrigerated half-and-half, so that's going in the coffee now. Thanks to Linda's excellent galley management the only other spoilage we've had has been some bacon bits that got moldy.

The generator was due for an oil change, so I got that done as well as some other maintenance tasks that were pre-empted with the major repairs in Nassau and then sailing down the Exumas. We had a calm day which allowed me to go aloft and adjust some of the rigging turnbuckles at the end of the spreaders, tightening them up after viewing the rigging underway. Hopefully our "dynamic" tuning is complete now. Let's see: I replaced a fan that was getting squeaky; put some new bolts in the roller furler (with loctite this time!); and added a cable that sends our GPS latitude and longitude to the VHF radio (this is only used with the DSC feature, but is also shown in the display and I got tired of the NO....POSIT.....NO....POSIT...)

All this is interspersed with enjoying the area and the weather. We've exchanged some books at the library here and are reading leisurely. We made it over to the Chill n' Chat for burgers and beers to watch Green Bay win the NFC title. I think we were the only Packers fans among a bunch of Bears fans, including one gal in an Erlacher jersey. Go Pack!

Not sure if we'll be somewhere with a satellite dish for the Super Bowl or if we'll be listening on the radio! We will try to finish our tasks and be ready to leave this area the next time the weather is favorable, probably still a week to ten days away.
Comments
Vessel Name: Troubadour - Beneteau Idylle 15.50
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau Idylle 15.50
Hailing Port: Key Largo, Florida (But we're from Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA)
Crew: Captain Chris May & Admiral Linda Moore
About: Chris and Linda chose early retirement from corporate "office space" and cubicle life at GE Healthcare in Waukesha, Wis., to pursue their dream of going "down island" to the Caribbean.
Extra:
Our backgrounds: ***Linda is an insured PADI Divemaster and Master Scuba Diver. She is also a member of DAN the Divers Alert Network. She is trained as a Red Cross Emergency Responder; has completed the STCW BST (Basic Safety Training), and holds a USCG MMD (Ordinary Seaman). She has been sailing [...]

Living the Dream

Who: Captain Chris May & Admiral Linda Moore
Port: Key Largo, Florida (But we're from Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA)
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. " --Mark Twain
"I got my toes in the water, ass in the sand; Not a worry in the world, a cold beer in my hand. Life is good today, life is good today" -- "Toes" by the Zach Brown Band