Tuatara

Alan and Jean sharing our cruising news with friends, family.

20 July 2015 | Rabi Island Fiji
29 June 2015 | Suva Fiji
18 December 2013 | Auckland
05 December 2013 | Auckland
27 October 2013 | Vavau Tonga
12 September 2013 | Samoa
24 July 2013 | Moorea, Tahiti
19 July 2013 | Papeete
19 June 2013 | Nuka Hiva
02 June 2013 | Pacific Ocean
29 May 2013 | Pacific Ocean
24 May 2013 | Eastern Pacific Ocean
19 May 2013 | Western Pacific Ocean
16 May 2013 | Western Pacific Ocean
13 May 2013 | Isla Isabella
06 May 2013 | Isla Isabella
08 April 2013 | Shelter Bay marina, Colon.
28 March 2013 | Belize
27 March 2013 | Belize
03 March 2013 | Panamarina, Panama

On our way

12 December 2011 | Atlantic
Jean
Fresh Mahimahi with lime pickle sautéed onion and tomato fresh whole meal bread

Lunch on the 2nd day of our Atlantic crossing.

We started out from Mindelo on Sunday morning, a pod of exhurberant pink belllied dolphins gave us an escort out of the harbour. The wind was very strong between the islands of Sao Vicente and Santo Antao. We eventually left the acceleration zone and found the wind shadow of Cape Verde that everyone warned us about. By 9pm we were clear, sailing in a steady breeze. Tuatara sailed well with just the genoa flying by Monday morning we had two head sails up now we have added a reefed main. So with 3 sails we are getting along nicely at 7 or so knots in a NE wind of 20 knots.

We have caught several mahi mahi, kept 3 and released many more, they seem very small in this part of the world. Maybe the yachts in front have caught all the big ones. We keep in touch with everyone with our twice daily SSB sked. At the beginning of each sked the Net controller asks for any emergency or priority traffic and usually there is a silence, no help needed until 3 days ago when the very calm voice of the skipper of Egret came up. "This is Egret, we have lost our rudder". The yacht Egret left Mindelo as we motored into the harbour. Another yacht nearby has sailed to them and is standing by. Egret is back sailing very slowly with a jury rigged rudder. As we get closer to them we will look at the possibilty of giving them some extra fuel. Yesterday another NZ yacht, Awaroa sailed to them but the sea was too big to allow a safe drop off of fuel. Today Tsolo will also make a rendezvous with Egret with the same mission in mind hopefully the sea will be more cooperative but if not we are still 2 days away and the seas look like they may be eased by then, we will see.

In the mean time I need to get some fresh air and then breakfast
Comments
Vessel Name: Tuatara
Vessel Make/Model: Alan Wright 51
Hailing Port: Opua NZ
Crew: Alan and Jean Ward

Sailing in the Pacific

Who: Alan and Jean Ward
Port: Opua NZ