Tumultuous Uproar

A cruising boat with a racing problem...

16 April 2024
09 March 2024
29 February 2024
29 February 2024 | Anse Cochon, St. Lucia
22 February 2024
03 February 2024
31 January 2024
21 January 2024
21 January 2024
28 December 2023
04 December 2023
27 November 2023
27 October 2023
27 September 2023
30 May 2023

Belle Island, Thousand Islands

31 August 2015
After cruising the Canadian side of the 1000 Islands for a week, we crossed over to the US side. The nearest port to clear customs happened to be the famous Boldt Castle on Heart Island. This historic site is visited by tour boats from Canada so has a complete customs office,. Uproar became gently stuck on the bottom about 30 feet from the customs dock so we anchored and took the dinghy in the clear in. We brought a picnic lunch and had a tour of the castle and grounds.

This area was developed in the late 1800's by wealthy families from the Northeast and grand homes are common on the islands. Uproar found a scenic anchorage between Belle Island and two others. It was a spot just big enough for one boat. We did feel a bit like we were encroaching on these homes but it seemed like the only suitable anchorage in the area.

We enjoyed the location which enabled us to visit Alexandria Bay by dinghy and cruise around the islands. The view included freighters plying the seaway just to the south of us. A Bay even had a grocery store up a winding creek that had a dock.

Our second night there, a boat approached and said they were from Belle Island. They said they enjoyed seeing our beautiful boat. We apologized for blocking their view. They invited us to visit them that evening.

We grabbed a bottle of wine and dinghied into a bell shaped pond with a dock. This was the original harbor for the island. There were also several modern boat houses with a variety of boats.

Sarah Pietrafesa and her family were gracious hosts, invited us in and insisted we stay for dinner. Sarah gave us a tour and history of her island. The original house was built by George Boldt before he built the castle on Heart Island. The island was also owned by the inventor of “Lifesaver's” candy. During the depression, many of the old homes fell into disrepair, were vandalized and eventually torn down. Her home was built in 1991 with 5 bedrooms, all with incredible views. Sarah's room had a view of Boldt Castle. Lit up at night it was quite a spectacle.

Sarah's son, Tony, wife Amy, son Reed and friends made for a large dinner party. It was heartwarming to be so readily included in this family's circle.

We have made it a point to engage other boaters at every opportunity. From previous posts, you can see this has always been an enriching experience. Our visit with Sarah and her family was especially rewarding and we treasure the new friendships.

We dinghied out of the bell shaped pond quite late. The river was still as glass. We putted toward Boldt Castle which was lit up with soft, amber lights, cut the motor and sat. It was a magical time and a magical place.


Comments
Vessel Name: Tumultuous Uproar
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau 42s7
Hailing Port: Milwaukee, WI
Crew: Popeye (Russ Whitford)
Social:
Tumultuous Uproar's Photos - Main
45 Photos
Created 8 March 2016
68 Photos
Created 8 March 2016
61 Photos
Created 8 March 2016
24 Photos
Created 8 March 2016
53 Photos
Created 7 March 2016
No Photos
Created 7 March 2016
4 Photos
Created 28 August 2015
2 Photos
Created 21 August 2015
Uproar FULL ON in the North Channel! Picture by Rick Pask.
1 Photo
Created 21 August 2015
40 Photos
Created 21 August 2015
8/15/15
29 Photos
Created 21 August 2015
9 Photos
Created 21 August 2015