Tumultuous Uproar

A cruising boat with a racing problem...

16 April 2024
09 March 2024
29 February 2024
29 February 2024 | Anse Cochon, St. Lucia
22 February 2024
03 February 2024
31 January 2024
21 January 2024
21 January 2024
28 December 2023
04 December 2023
27 November 2023
27 October 2023
27 September 2023
30 May 2023

We bought a new boat!

08 September 2015
Still have Uproar but Still have Uproar but now a new dink! We have had it for almost a month, shows you how up-to-date I am with these blogs.nStill have Uproar but now a new dink! We have had it for almost a month, shows you how up-to-date I am with thes
Still have Uproar but now a new dink! We have had it for almost a month, shows you how up-to-date I am with these blogs.

Our old one ejected its engine the night before we departed from Milwaukee. See first post if you want the gory details. Our 1964 Evinrude 3hp worked great but sure wasn't fast. We really wanted a dinghy that would plane out and be real transportation in the islands. I reasoned that the closer we got to the east coast, the less likely we were to get a fresh water boat and engine. It just seemed to me that a boat from the frigid midwest would have an easier life than one in a milder climate.

Heading toward Detroit for the family reunion, I scoured Craigslist. I called about one promising boat and was assured that it was nearly new, in great shape and exactly the size we wanted. The owner was Canadian and the boat was on Herson Island. He said, “You are going to go right by it on your way down the St. Claire River. Just takle the north fork for about a mile.....

I said, “Wait a minute, I have never been in this area.” He gave good directions and we found it on the chart. I was to anchor out and dinghy ashore to see the boat.

Lisa did some fast work with the banks and emerged with a nice
The new one is an Avon 310 RIB. It is Hypalon which is the most UV resistant material. The motor is easy to start and either purrs or roars, depending on how high you turn up the wick! It is a real sport boat. It goes over 20 knots at full song but will sustain a plane of 13 knots, just above idle. We have had fun with …..

Haven't named her yet. I'm open to suggestions. I'm leaning toward “Ding Dong” (Avon lady). Any other ideas? Winner gets a free week on Uproar in the Bahamas!wad of cash. We anchored in about 2 knots of current, right near a ferry landing and went ashore. Michael met us and showed us the boat. One test ride and we were sold. He explained that in Ontario there is no licensing requirement on boats under 10 HP. The 4 stroke Mercury had a big 9.9 decal on the back. But Michael showed me the data plate which clearly stated 15 hp. Not only were we buying a boat like a beach side drug deal but it was an outlaw to boot!

We attached both dinghies to Uproar and continued down-river. My brother, Bob has the old boat and we are keeping the old Evinrude as a backup motor. It weighs only 28 pounds and we have a good storage place for it.
Comments
Vessel Name: Tumultuous Uproar
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau 42s7
Hailing Port: Milwaukee, WI
Crew: Popeye (Russ Whitford)
Social:
Tumultuous Uproar's Photos - Main
45 Photos
Created 8 March 2016
68 Photos
Created 8 March 2016
61 Photos
Created 8 March 2016
24 Photos
Created 8 March 2016
53 Photos
Created 7 March 2016
No Photos
Created 7 March 2016
4 Photos
Created 28 August 2015
2 Photos
Created 21 August 2015
Uproar FULL ON in the North Channel! Picture by Rick Pask.
1 Photo
Created 21 August 2015
40 Photos
Created 21 August 2015
8/15/15
29 Photos
Created 21 August 2015
9 Photos
Created 21 August 2015