Turning Left, Heading South

03 November 2012 | San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico
02 November 2012 | San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico
06 December 2011 | Portland
05 December 2011 | San Carlos, MX
03 December 2011 | San Carlos, MX
28 November 2011 | San Carlos, MX
10 November 2011 | San Carlos, MX
05 November 2011 | San Carlos, MX
04 November 2011 | San Carlos, MX
03 November 2011 | San Carlos, MX
02 November 2011 | San Carlos, MX
13 March 2011 | Chamela
12 March 2011 | Bahia Chamela
08 March 2011 | Mexican Riviera
04 March 2011 | Tennacatita
03 March 2011 | Mexican Riviera
25 February 2011 | Puerto Vallarta
15 February 2011 | At Sea
08 February 2011 | Baja Mexico
27 January 2011 | Baja Mexico

The trip from OR to MX

04 November 2011 | San Carlos, MX
Good Morning Everyone,

Here's a picture of packing the car. Driving from Portland to Twin Falls, Idaho. And from there to Las Vegas. It was just a little rainy when we left Portland, but things were clearing up by the time we made Bend. We had rain in the morning in Twin Falls, but that soon cleared. By the time we were closing in on Las Vegas we had the air conditioner on. Our room in Las Vegas was on the 16th floor of the Plaza Hotel and we had a great view. Unfortunately the room we got had not been made up. The tub was full of water. So we had to switch rooms.

It was halloween night and our hotel was at the west end of Freemont Street. After we got settled in our room we walked Freemont Street. It was quite the show. Unfortunately we left the camera in our room so we don't have pictures to share. But you can imagine. The street was a mob. Janie and I had to hold hands to keep from being separated. I can't begin to explain the various costumes. But there were lots of very creative outfits. Everything.... nuns, nurses, doctors, cops, indians, ghouls, lots of pirates, lots of skin.

Freemont Street has a sort of conestoga wagon cover about four stories above the walkway. The cover is actually a huge LED video screen which lights the street, and fills the space w/ dazzling visuals. A zip line concession has a half dozen wires strung the length of the street and every few seconds hooting figures shoot into and out of sight and hearing, speeding along overhead suspended from harnesses. It is a pedestrian street with jewelry shops, restaurants, liquor stores, curio stores, etc. Every 100 yards or so there is a stage with a live show. One guy with a saxophone was a solo act, but there were other stages with rock and roll groups that may have included a dozen or more on the stage including background singers, etc. All in fantastic costumes w/ huge loud systems, lighting, stage decor. I suppose the street runs about four or five blocks.

We found a nice restaurant on one of the side streets where there was a vintage hot rod display. There were about twenty cars on display. All show quality. All personally owned. Many of the owners were there showing their cars off, and every now and then starting them up to wow the crowd w/the sounds of the powerful tuned engines.

We made it back to our room before midnight. The sun had climbed a bit over the horizon before we got back on the road after we awoke. The crowds were gone, but there were a few hearty revelers weaving their ways back to their rooms. That evening, after 10 hours of driving we made our last USA stop in Green Valley, AZ.

That's where we will open the next chapter of this trip.

Comments
Vessel Name: Adagio
Vessel Make/Model: Passport 40
Hailing Port: Portland, Oregon
Crew: Jeff and Jane Woodward

SV Adagio

Who: Jeff and Jane Woodward
Port: Portland, Oregon