Adventures of Two Sheets

35' Chartercat Wildcat Catamaran

16 September 2009 | Chesapeake Bay
10 September 2009 | Chesapeake Bay, VA
21 August 2009
03 August 2009 | Cape Charles, VA
07 July 2009
06 July 2009
05 July 2009
21 April 2009
20 April 2009
19 April 2009
18 April 2009
16 April 2009 | Stuart, Florida
16 March 2009
12 March 2009

Urbanna Bound for Labor Day

10 September 2009 | Chesapeake Bay, VA
Early Friday morning we gathered up my mom and headed for the Shore. By 8a.m. we were underway and headed for Urbanna for the weekend. For those of you who have not had the distinct pleasure of spending time on the Rappahanock River and in Urbanna, you are truly missing one of Virginia's hidden jewels.
We had a great sail, putting Two Sheets on a broad reach with the winds blowing out of the North/Northeast at 15 knots, giving us about 8 knots of speed. We arrived at Urbanna Town Marina at Upton's Point about 7:30 that night and promptly washed up and headed to town to eat at Mojo's. Mojo's is known for their organic fare and we were certainly not disappointed! However, it is best to arrive a bit earlier than we did for dinner on a Friday evening, as they were out of quite a few items. Mojo's seems to be where many of the locals like to go for dinner and so it was quite a raucous crowd that night, but still a pleasant and enjoyable evening.
Urbanna Town Marina is a quaint marina, with good clean facilities, and a friendly staff. When you are there, you are like family, which is such a pleasure! The slips are nice, and they have even created some double wide slips to accommodate a boat such as our 23' wide catamaran!
There is a town trolley that runs from most of the marinas into town and into Pine Tree, where you can find a unique place for breakfast or lunch - Something Different Country Store and Deli in downtown Pinetree. Something Different is owned and operated by my mother's brother - Dan Gill. Dan is quite the foodie - a gastronome of uniqueness! Some of Dan's more memorable foods are applechain sandwiches - a hotdog with applebutter and mustard; chocolate-chili icecream; REAL buttered pecan icecream and last but certainly not least, the sandwich that put Something Different on the map - the Virginia Sandwich. Should you make the trek to Urbanna, be sure to take the trolley to Something Different - or check them out on the web . . . http://pine3.info
There are some many wonderful shops in town, but make sure that you do not miss Nimcock Gallery and plan a respite from all of your shopping at Marshall's Drug Store, where you can sit at the soda fountain and have a real ice cream soda or coke float or homemade limeade!
All too quickly our weekend came to an end, and it was time to head for home. Monday morning we quietly slipped out into the Rappahanock River and set a course back to Bay Creek Marina. Winds were gusting up to 35 knots out of the North / Northeast and seas were running 4 - 6 feet. It was invigorating! All the monohulls were heeled over 20+ degrees and Two Sheets was running steady! Rounding Stingray Point from the River to the Bay was tough, so we ran the engine to get us around the point, and then it was sails only until we hit the entrance to Baycreek! All in all it was a great weekend and a destination that we will definitely visit again!
Comments
Vessel Name: Two Sheets to the Wind
Vessel Make/Model: Chartercat Wildcat
Hailing Port: Hagatna, Guam
Crew: Jim & Betsi
About: Jim & Betsi live in the Virginia Beach, VA area. They are looking forward to cruising their local area (Chesapeake Bay) as well as island hopping in the Bahamas
Extra: Two Sheets to the Wind is a 35' Chartercat Wildcat. Her name, Two Sheets to the Wind signifies the two sails of a sailboat - hence, "Two Sheets to the Wind"!

Who: Jim & Betsi
Port: Hagatna, Guam