Last Chance ... A Two Year Journey

Leaving the Great Lakes for a Caribbean/Pacific adventure

26 June 2020 | Beaver Island
24 June 2020 | Mackinac Island
21 June 2020 | Off Racine
02 May 2020 | Larsen Marine
17 August 2019 | Half way across the lake and back
20 July 2019 | Sturgeon Bay, WI
15 July 2019 | Start of Hook Race off Racine, Wi
24 June 2019 | Mackinac Island
16 June 2019 | Waukegan Harbor
30 May 2019 | Somewhere off Waukegan
29 April 2019 | Waukegan, IL
14 February 2019 | George Town, Exumas
12 February 2019 | Great Galliot Cay
11 February 2019 | Sampson Cay, Exumas, Bahamas
09 February 2019 | Big Majors Spot
08 February 2019 | Near Midway Airport, Chicago
01 January 2019 | Larsen Marine
19 November 2018 | Hanover Park, IL

Three’s company

28 October 2017 | Charleston, SC
Sunny and pleasant, until the rain came.
On this trip, there were often two or three sailboats within sight of me, heading south on generally the same course.

Before my trip, I dried out the bilge. Imagine my surprise a couple of hours into the trip when I heard water coming out the stern from the bilge pump. It takes several gallons to trigger that. The holding tank was full. I filled the starboard water tank before I left. The boat was heeled over and bouncing. So which tank leaked?

I pumped out the bilge. The water and boat did not smell and the water looked pretty clean. Which leads me to suspect the starboard water tank, specifically the top area somewhere. No wonder it seems like it holds less water than the port tank. Something to look into.

Last night I had a dolphin run with me for a few air hops. They are powerful and graceful as they swim underwater and then make their arc over the water as they come up for air. My first hint that there might be a dolphin along side the boat was a misplaced wave slap. Waves slap the hull or break on your windward side, but they don’t make a slapping noise away from the boat on the leeward side. It was dark, with the moon setting behind a cloud (it was night, after all), so it was hard to spot right away what was going on. But when I did finally get a glimpse of the dolphin, it was very cool. And pretty brief.

We arrived early at the channel to Charleston. It was pitch black out ... really, really dark. Normally you can see a little something, but not this night. There were several freighters and pleasure craft in the area, which made things tense after two nights with little sleep. AIS helped clarify where I needed to go to avoid the big boys. We followed them into the channel. The channel is long, so daylight came as we made our way down the channel which actually starts in the ocean.

Our first choice for a marina was full. Our second choice meant going down a section of the ICW and under a bridge with a 56’ clearance. I need to get a better number for my “air draft”. Maybe it is 52’, not 56’. My 56’ number included a margin of safety and some estimates. It is very hard to look up and guess how much clearance there is between the top of your mast and the bridge 56’ above you.

It was pizza night on Pete and Sue’s boat. A welcome treat after our 38 hour trip.

Tonight I sleep - more than 30 minutes at a time! Next stop - Florida. But first some rest, sightseeing, and some maintenance.
Comments
Vessel Name: Last Chance
Vessel Make/Model: Islander 36 (1979)
Hailing Port: Waukegan, Illinois
Last Chance's Photos - Main
21 Photos
Created 1 February 2019
3 Photos
Created 22 July 2018
18 Photos
Created 8 April 2018
31 Photos
Created 22 January 2018
Traveling down the Chesapeake and the East Coast
53 Photos
Created 11 September 2017
Erie Canal and Hudson River
33 Photos
Created 18 August 2017
Great Lakes part of the journey.
45 Photos
Created 15 July 2017
Boat prep and races prior to departure
12 Photos
Created 14 June 2017