Last Chance ... A Two Year Journey

Leaving the Great Lakes for a Caribbean/Pacific adventure

26 June 2020 | Beaver Island
24 June 2020 | Mackinac Island
21 June 2020 | Off Racine
02 May 2020 | Larsen Marine
17 August 2019 | Half way across the lake and back
20 July 2019 | Sturgeon Bay, WI
15 July 2019 | Start of Hook Race off Racine, Wi
24 June 2019 | Mackinac Island
16 June 2019 | Waukegan Harbor
30 May 2019 | Somewhere off Waukegan
29 April 2019 | Waukegan, IL
14 February 2019 | George Town, Exumas
12 February 2019 | Great Galliot Cay
11 February 2019 | Sampson Cay, Exumas, Bahamas
09 February 2019 | Big Majors Spot
08 February 2019 | Near Midway Airport, Chicago
01 January 2019 | Larsen Marine
19 November 2018 | Hanover Park, IL

We moved!

04 February 2018 | Mackie Shoal
Sunny and 75. Moderate wind.
Saturday night we made plans to leave at 8am, hoping the wind would have died down by then. When I got up at 6:30, the wind was already down, and they decided to leave ASAP to avoid trying to leave the docks against the stronger current at 8. I hate when that happens.

It was a scrambled start, and at one point we counted 12 sailboats heading north. I am off the grid tonight, but when I get back on, I will update the blog photo with that picture. It was a fun day with some sailing at the start, and some beating (sailing into the wind) during the long finish leg. It was one close hauled tack. How much one sailed and how much one motored depended on ones tolerance level. To be able to sail at all was special. We sailed in the Bahamas!

Roger and Tari threw out a line and went fishing. They caught one fish, but the second big one got away. What happened was that I rolled out the genoa, and then so did they. This caused me to get too close to their line as they were trying to bring in their second catch. So the fish and lure caught on my boat somehow and they lost both. I wasn’t super close, but the line was several boat lengths behind them. Tari was not happy with me.

The five of us are anchored near a shoal, but otherwise it is open water. There are two groups of boats, three in each group - a catamaran joined the second group. So there is no land anywhere near us (nearest is 30 nautical miles away) and the depth is around 20 feet where boats are traveling. We are anchored off the beaten path in about 13 feet of water. Boats traveling where we are would be going through the shoal, so that is not likely. There is no wind, but there are still some small rollers coming through, so the boat rolls a bit.

You can see the bottom 13 feet below, so when I let out my chain, I could see it all piled in a heap at the bottom, since there was no wind to pull the boat back as I let it out. That did cause me to pause, so then I had two piles at the bottom. I backed down on it, so the chain got straightened out. Since there is no land to look at to see if one is dragging while running the boat in reverse, I looked at the bottom. Again, not something one can do very often.

Tomorrow we leave at 7 for Chub Cay (Cay is pronounced: key).
Comments
Vessel Name: Last Chance
Vessel Make/Model: Islander 36 (1979)
Hailing Port: Waukegan, Illinois
Last Chance's Photos - Main
21 Photos
Created 1 February 2019
3 Photos
Created 22 July 2018
18 Photos
Created 8 April 2018
31 Photos
Created 22 January 2018
Traveling down the Chesapeake and the East Coast
53 Photos
Created 11 September 2017
Erie Canal and Hudson River
33 Photos
Created 18 August 2017
Great Lakes part of the journey.
45 Photos
Created 15 July 2017
Boat prep and races prior to departure
12 Photos
Created 14 June 2017