Last Chance ... A Two Year Journey

Leaving the Great Lakes for a Caribbean/Pacific adventure

26 June 2020 | Beaver Island
24 June 2020 | Mackinac Island
21 June 2020 | Off Racine
02 May 2020 | Larsen Marine
17 August 2019 | Half way across the lake and back
20 July 2019 | Sturgeon Bay, WI
15 July 2019 | Start of Hook Race off Racine, Wi
24 June 2019 | Mackinac Island
16 June 2019 | Waukegan Harbor
30 May 2019 | Somewhere off Waukegan
29 April 2019 | Waukegan, IL
14 February 2019 | George Town, Exumas
12 February 2019 | Great Galliot Cay
11 February 2019 | Sampson Cay, Exumas, Bahamas
09 February 2019 | Big Majors Spot
08 February 2019 | Near Midway Airport, Chicago
01 January 2019 | Larsen Marine
19 November 2018 | Hanover Park, IL

Planes and plans. Going separate ways.

09 February 2018 | Nassau, Bahamas
Sunny, windy, 80
Lyn is back in Toronto, staying with a friend. Now she can work on her next phase - getting her knee repaired. Some of the provisions on Kristtaney were removed and dispersed to my boat and Paradise Hunter. Tomorrow afternoon, Roger and Keith will sail Kristtaney back to Florida. The plan is to go nonstop, about 38 hours. The forecast is for favorable east winds to carry them home. Here’s hoping they have a great farewell sail.

Tomorrow morning, Bruce, Chris and Jerry will come over from nearby Rose Island on Sea Hawk. Jerry will help Tari bring Paradise Hunter to Rose Island, where the rest of us will anchor until Roger flies back to Nassau. So if anyone was wondering why it was we met up with these other boats and ended up sailing together, now you know.

Not much going on today. Some provisioning, washing the boat down, etc. It is good to rinse the salt off the boat after a passage. With the strong east wind, the marina has been choppy. It is on the side of the channel, and the channel is a bit open to the east. Add the current and you get a bouncy slip. A quiet marina on the Great Lakes this is not. Add the standard fixed dock with two foot tides, and you get a fun time just getting on and off the boat. High freeboard boats do better. Mine has a low freeboard, so there is a lot of jumping down to the boat after you pull the boat closer to the dock, or climbing up onto the dock to get off. At least the boat is not rolling and creaking. Fixed docks with tides and current are the norm on this trip. Your lines better have some slack at high tide, or else they’ll be trying to hold the boat out of the water at low tide.

My brother asked how our solar was doing. Mine is doing fine. I am charged up every day, and overnight my battery discharges about 13% before the sun comes up. I have 425 watts of solar. During the day I can charge my devices and run my watermaker. I move the boom to one side or the other so that no panels are being shaded. I am careful at night to minimize my demands on the battery. Roger has 535 watts of solar. His panels are angled down slightly, so depending on which way he is pointed toward the sun, he either does well, or else loses some efficiency because they are shaded. They help a lot, but he still needs his generator, just not as long some days. On a good day, the solar will fully charge his batteries.
Comments
Vessel Name: Last Chance
Vessel Make/Model: Islander 36 (1979)
Hailing Port: Waukegan, Illinois
Last Chance's Photos - Main
21 Photos
Created 1 February 2019
3 Photos
Created 22 July 2018
18 Photos
Created 8 April 2018
31 Photos
Created 22 January 2018
Traveling down the Chesapeake and the East Coast
53 Photos
Created 11 September 2017
Erie Canal and Hudson River
33 Photos
Created 18 August 2017
Great Lakes part of the journey.
45 Photos
Created 15 July 2017
Boat prep and races prior to departure
12 Photos
Created 14 June 2017