Tyee3 - Catana 431

22 May 2012 | Mooloolaba
25 December 2011 | Revelstoke Canada
18 November 2011 | Gold Coast City Marina
15 November 2011 | Gold Coast
12 November 2011 | Brisbane
14 October 2011 | Baie de Oro
06 October 2011 | Ile des Pins, New Caledonia
24 September 2011 | Noumea, New Caledonia
19 September 2011 | Port Vila
12 September 2011 | Espiritu Santo
06 September 2011 | Vao Island, Malakula
02 September 2011 | Ambrym
01 September 2011 | Malakula
29 August 2011 | Port Vila
21 August 2011 | Port Vila
20 August 2011 | Tanna
19 August 2011
17 August 2011 | mamanucas and Yasawas
25 July 2011 | Robinson Crusoe Island

Visit with Tracey

17 August 2011 | mamanucas and Yasawas
Lucie
We arrived at Port Denarau to pick up Tracey who was flying in from Auckland. What a chock it was to be back in "civilization". Port Denarau is not what Fiji is all about but rather another American style port away from home. The Hard Rock Cafe and many other fancy restaurant line the waterfront and many megayachts are tied-up to its docks. We told Tracey to get a taxi directly to the Hard Rock Cafe where we would wait for her. The kids and many other friends were on "Oso Blanco" having a cocktail party. We brought her bags to Tyee and then went back to the party where most participants were already drunk. It was a fun night to introduce Tracey to some of our friends. As we did not have much time for her visit, we left Port Denarau the next morning for Musket Cove. There too is nothing like we had seen before in Fiji. A nice resort on a fancy beach, we were soon to discover that the Mamanucas and the Yasawas are littered with small resorts, whether a private one like on Turtle Island or some rustic backpackers on Beachcomber Island. We spend a few days at Musket Cove, celebrated Simi's 9th birthday, went surfing by Tavarua Island where the famous Cloubreak lies not far from and also did some kiteboarding. A few days later, we left to go and explore the Yasawas. We stopped at Waya, met up with some friends on "Passages" that we had not seen since last September in Neiafu, Tonga. We then went on to check out some giant mantas that hang off the pass between Naviti and Nanuya Island. Tracey had not done too much snorkeling and we introduce her to it but unfortunately the mantas had not been seen for 8 days which was really unusual said the local dive operator. Nevertheless is was great to drift dive the pass, floating almost flying through the water at about 4 knots. Later that day we continued up the coast through many coral reef to the Blue Lagoon, famous for where the movie was shot many years ago. We spend the next few days in this area, the weather was unsettled and much rain came. We moved the anchor to Yaqete Island where it was more protected by the south wind. It was by far, the nicest anchorage in the Yasawas that we had seen. We went to shore to Navuta Star Resort, a small boutique style resort ran by an Italian fellow. The people were super friendly and invited us to leave our dinghy on their beach. They also informed us that the school kids were having a netball and rugby competition the following day. We went and checked it out, a short walk through the jungle lead us to a village where hundred of people from all villages in the Yasawas were there cheering the kids. We went back to the boat by lunch time as we wanted to give Tracey another chance at snorkeling before catching the floatplane back to Nadi late that afternoon. We drove Tracey to Turtle Island in the dinghy but unfortunately the plane was late and we were not allowed on the island being private so we waited for the plane to show up just floating around in the dinghy. As the plane neared, we made our way to the dock and unloaded Tracey and her belongings. The pilot was a nice Mexican guy and we found out that he had a Canadian licence and that he had learn to fly in Northern Quebec. Tracey got in and we sadly said goodbye. As we were dinghying back to the boat, the floatplane flew low to the water just above us and turn slightly to Tracey's side of the plane so we could wave another good bye. It was great!
Comments
Vessel Name: Tyee 3
Vessel Make/Model: Catana 431
Hailing Port: Victoria BC
Crew: John, Lucie, Theo, Simi Luttrell
About:
John is a professional mountain guide. He enjoys the sea with its many similarities to mountain life. He is very keen on his new sports of kiteboarding and surfing!!! Theo is 9 and he is the wake boarder champ in our family. He also enjoys playing techno games and reading. [...]
Extra:
John and Lucie are used to entertaining guests as for the last 10 years they have worked for Canadian Mountain Holidays. Guests come on a weekly package to heli ski, John takes them down the mountains and Lucie fixes them up with a wonderful massage therapy treatment. John with all of its [...]

Tyee 3

Who: John, Lucie, Theo, Simi Luttrell
Port: Victoria BC