Tyee3 - Catana 431

22 May 2012 | Mooloolaba
25 December 2011 | Revelstoke Canada
18 November 2011 | Gold Coast City Marina
15 November 2011 | Gold Coast
12 November 2011 | Brisbane
14 October 2011 | Baie de Oro
06 October 2011 | Ile des Pins, New Caledonia
24 September 2011 | Noumea, New Caledonia
19 September 2011 | Port Vila
12 September 2011 | Espiritu Santo
06 September 2011 | Vao Island, Malakula
02 September 2011 | Ambrym
01 September 2011 | Malakula
29 August 2011 | Port Vila
21 August 2011 | Port Vila
20 August 2011 | Tanna
19 August 2011
17 August 2011 | mamanucas and Yasawas
25 July 2011 | Robinson Crusoe Island

Good times on Ambrym

02 September 2011 | Ambrym
Theo
Our next stop was at Ranon on Ambrym Island. Ambrym is a volcanic island with two active volcano, Mount Marum and Mount Benbow. Ambrym got its name when Captain James Cook discovered it and went to shore, the shy locals presented him with some yams and said "here are your yams". In their dialect it sounds like Ambrym and that is what Cook thought the island was called. After breakfast, we put the dinghy down and went to shore. We first walked to school and there we met a couple of local boys, Willy and Billy. We had brought the football and were throwing it around and invited them to play. We continued our walk and they followed showing us which paths to take. Ambrym is also known for its carvings and Mom asked the boys if they could show us some. They brought us to Kati's house. Her father's workshop was nearly empty and we found out that most carvers had left the island a few days prior for Port Vila to deliver a large quantities of Tam-tam ordered by a New Caledonia company. We continued our walk and met with Jeffrey who then took us around to find carvings but without any luck. He took us to the information house and there we met with Robson who told us about the different tours available on the island. Because the weather was not good enough for a climb up to the volcano, we opted for a BBQ pig roast on the beach. We went back to Tyee for a few hours and got a visit from a nice Australian couple who told us some interesting stories about Vanuatu. Black Magic is strongest on Ambrym with active volcanoes and it is considered the sorcerer center of the country. We hoped not to have to encounter any of it. We went back to shore and this time brought the soccer ball and headed to school where we met our good friends, Willy,Billy and a few more, Alex, James and Martin. It was fun playing soccer and we split up in teams but at the end Billy, Alex and I won against Papa, Simi, Willy and Martin. After playing, we decided to offer Willy the soccer ball if he promised to play with all his buddies, the boys were so happy. It was rainy and the sky was dark and we feared for the BBQ but the pig was already roasted. We went back to the beach got in the dinghy and quickly went back to Tyee to get some warmer clothes and bug repellent. We got back to the beach and the pig was ready. The ladies had spread some bananas leaves down and put a large quantities of yams, bananas and taro on them and then Robson carved the pig and threw pieces amongst the veggies. It is great, no plates, no cutlery, just fingers...the way I like it. It was so tasty, some pieces tasted like bacon.
Comments
Vessel Name: Tyee 3
Vessel Make/Model: Catana 431
Hailing Port: Victoria BC
Crew: John, Lucie, Theo, Simi Luttrell
About:
John is a professional mountain guide. He enjoys the sea with its many similarities to mountain life. He is very keen on his new sports of kiteboarding and surfing!!! Theo is 9 and he is the wake boarder champ in our family. He also enjoys playing techno games and reading. [...]
Extra:
John and Lucie are used to entertaining guests as for the last 10 years they have worked for Canadian Mountain Holidays. Guests come on a weekly package to heli ski, John takes them down the mountains and Lucie fixes them up with a wonderful massage therapy treatment. John with all of its [...]

Tyee 3

Who: John, Lucie, Theo, Simi Luttrell
Port: Victoria BC