26 June 2023 | Portland, Oregon
24 August 2021 | Newport, Oregon
01 February 2020 | Portland, Oregon
20 October 2019 | Portland, Oregon
02 October 2019 | Sandy Airport, Oregon
28 July 2019 | Portland, Oregon
04 November 2018 | Portland, Oregon
03 November 2018 | Portland, Oregon
30 October 2018 | Portland, Oregon
29 September 2018 | Portland, Oregon
15 September 2018 | Port Angeles, Washington
12 June 2018 | Portland, Oregon
02 June 2018 | Victoria, Canada
30 May 2018 | Ganges, Saltspring Island, Canada
27 May 2018 | Nanaimo, Canada

Preparing to Further Explore “The Sea”, the Sea sheltered by The Second Longest Pennisula in the World

14 January 2018 | San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico
Cruisers in Mexico just call it "The Sea", and everyone knows you mean the Sea of Cortez. Bordering The Sea on the west is the Baja Pennisula, the second longest pennisula on earth (only the Malay Pennisula is longer), longer than the length of California. And mainland Mexico borders The Sea on the east.

This is a big body of water. It is very narrow (east-west) compared to long (north-south), but looking from one side of The Sea you cannot see to the other side (across the narrow way), and even when crossing the Sea, from the middle you cannot see either side. You are alone, just the water, The Sea, and all of the life found in The Sea, which Jacques Cousteau famously called "the world's aquarium".

So S/V Ubiquity and her crew now prepare to further explore The Sea. In 2017 we sailed up the west side of The Sea, the east coast of Baja, north to Santa Rosalia, and then crossed The Sea to the San Carlos.

Now we aspire to sail further north, further away from populace, from cruisers. The further north the fewer people, boats, and cruisers - especially in the winter when most cruisers head south for the "Mexican Riviera" - Puerto Vallarta, La Cruz, Zihautanejo.

But not S/V Ubiquity and her crew. We head north. Into the feared "northers", the fierce northerly winds that rake The Sea, especially the upper regions, in winter months. We search not for languid water, but for adventure, for solitude, for quiet, for remoteness. We will find it in the upper areas of The Sea, probably alone in our anchorages, solitary, devoid of other cruisers who are enjoying the comparative warmth and the dinghy raft-ups for happy hour.

But we will not be entirely alone. The other cruisers will not be there as we sail further north. We will not raft up for happy hours. The water will not entice us to swim with its warmth. But something else may be there to share our otherwise solidarity hours, the biggest creatures to ever live on the earth.

So instead of sharing our winter happy hours with fellow cruisers in the Mexico Riviera, we hope to share our up-coming happy hours north in The Sea with the blue whale.

The blue whales migrate north in The Sea in the winter months, precisely when most human cruisers migrate to the Mexican Riviera. The blue whales eschew the cruiser happy hour raft-ups down south. But the crew of S/V Ubiquity hopes that the blue whales may sense a kindred spirit, sense our loneliness, and bless us with their visit during our happy hours upcoming in the northerly Sea in winter.

Besides the blue whale, her smaller relative, the sperm whale, also heads north in winter in The Sea, as far north as Bahia de Los Angeles.

So as S/V Ubiquity and her crew assiduously prepare for the demanding journey north in The Sea to Bahia de Los Angeles, and then south along the east coast of Baja, they look forward to happy hours. They expect no fellow cruisers at their happy hours. But they hope for creatures much larger.
Comments
Vessel Name: Ubiquity
Vessel Make/Model: Pacific Seacraft 34 sailboat, 1987, hull #67
Hailing Port: Portland, Oregon
Crew: Brian Stipak, Leslie Sawyer, sometimes others
About:
Captain Brian Stipak typically sails with one additional crew member aboard, most commonly Leslie Sawyer. Leslie is an experienced sailor, and she sailed on most of S/V Ubiquity's 2013 Vancouver Island circumnavigation and the 2015 Haida Gwaii cruise. [...]
Home Page: http://web.pdx.edu/~stipakb/Ubiquity-Cruising.html
Social:
Ubiquity's Photos - Main
Marina Los Cabos in San Jose del Cabo, Sailing west of Cabo Falso, Canal de Cerrlavo, Playa Bonanza, La Paz, loading S/V Ubiquity on freighter
88 Photos
Created 25 April 2018
Shows the “ghost town” of empty boulevards built by the government in Puerto Escondido, ashore on Isla San Juan, sailing south to La Paz, and several photos in La Paz, March 2018.
55 Photos
Created 23 March 2018
Santa Rosalia, Whale Watching, Isla Carmen including the Abandoned Salt Mine and Town at Salinas, March 2018
116 Photos
Created 20 March 2018
Midriff Islands, and the Bahia de Los Angeles area
48 Photos
Created 19 March 2018
Marina San Carlos, Marina Seca, Exploring the San Carlos Area, 2017, 2018
41 Photos
Created 19 February 2018
Cruising north in the Sea of Cortez from La Paz to Santa Rosalia. Then crossing the Sea to Bahia San Pedro, before arriving at Marina San Carlos, north of Guaymus, Sonora, Mexico. We hauled S/V Ubiquity at San Carlos for storage at the Marina Seca on-land storage facility for the summer.
119 Photos
Created 24 August 2017
Cruising in the La Paz area, Spring 2017. El Cardoncito, San Evaristo, Isle San Francisco, Playa Bonanza
94 Photos
Created 3 April 2017
34 Photos
Created 13 January 2017
13 Photos
Created 8 January 2017
October 7-9, 2016 get-together of friends in Cathlamet, Washinton. Photos show the kids in the group having fun.
6 Photos
Created 13 October 2016