26 June 2023 | Portland, Oregon
24 August 2021 | Newport, Oregon
01 February 2020 | Portland, Oregon
20 October 2019 | Portland, Oregon
02 October 2019 | Sandy Airport, Oregon
28 July 2019 | Portland, Oregon
04 November 2018 | Portland, Oregon
03 November 2018 | Portland, Oregon
30 October 2018 | Portland, Oregon
29 September 2018 | Portland, Oregon
15 September 2018 | Port Angeles, Washington
12 June 2018 | Portland, Oregon
02 June 2018 | Victoria, Canada
30 May 2018 | Ganges, Saltspring Island, Canada
27 May 2018 | Nanaimo, Canada

In The Remote Midriff Islands

14 February 2018 | Isla Partida, near Bahia de Los Angeles
Brian Stipak
- Now anchored at Isla Partida north (Near Bahia de Los Angeles, not near La Paz), N 28 deg 53.5 min, W 113 deg 2.6 min -

We left San Carlos six days ago headed north, not south like most cruisers. South is towards warm weather and water; north is towards remoteness. We sailed towards Isla Tiburon and the Midriff Islands, at first slowly in light winds, wishing for more wind, and then a brisk sailing wind developed.

But be careful what you wish for: by 2:00 am the winds had increased into the 20's with steep seas for which the Sea of Cortez is notorious, and S/V Ubiquity was then hit by winds gusting into the 30's. I called for my crew, asleep below, to join me, and I struggled to put in a reef with water hitting me on the foredeck, and spray hitting my crew in the cockpit. Not long after getting in the reef conditions moderated, so we could have forgone the reef, but at the moment I felt we needed to prepare for worse or risk loosing control. Those of you who have sailed in such conditions can empathize.

In the morning I thought for a moment that dolphins had joined us, but they were sea lions. These sea lions appear smaller than ours in Oregon, and move gracefully more like dolphins, with a dolphin-like jump out of the water.

Isla Tiburon is the largest island in Mexico, but uninhabited. Arriving at the Los Perros anchorage on the southeast corner of the island we joined several large shrimp boats at the anchorage, anchoring inside of them in shallower water.

The sail around the south of the island the next day was scenic and delightful, anchoring on the west side of the island north of Punta Willard. Fishermen on a ponga visited us, wanting cigarettes and cigars, which we did not have. Instead I gave them a small, focusing LED flashlight, of the type I like and use (I brought some extras to give away). The fishermen offered us either shrimp or scallops, but I responded "Somos vegetarianos". I then asked if I could take their photos instead, and they gladly agreed (see photos above).

We sailed off the anchor Tuesday and after a leisurely sail in light wind reached Isla Partida, a beautiful anchorage. It is remote here. No other boats. Beautiful, large anchorage to ourselves. The waterfowl here are plentiful, and serenade us at night. Some sound like songbirds, others make a "caw" sound, probably the gulls. One bird stayed on the sidedeck of the boat at night; apparently using it as shelter to rest.

Are we really in Mexico? I ask because it rained yesterday and last night, and is now. Not a lot, but light rain, off and on. Here rain is a rarity, and this is the first rain we have seen in Mexico since Ensenada in February 2017, a year ago.

Although in a remote location, we have lots of comforts and technology. I sometimes watch at night episodes of the gold miners TV program I enjoy, which I downloaded for playback later on my iPad. I like my new Kindle reader, and am reading now the war memoirs of a German field marshal. We have printed books, too. We spend quite a bit of time studying guidebooks, charts, and weather. I have downloaded movies I could show on the iPad, with sound coming through the boat's stereo speakers, but so far we have not had time for such urban indulgences.

After doing some boat projects yesterday I kayaked ashore in the afternoon and hiked up to the summit of one of the two peaks forming Isala Partida. There was a cairn and a metal box with a register inside, just like on the many peaks of the mountains of the High Sierra that I have climbed. I signed the summit register. I was the first person to sign the register this year.

The last signature in the summit register was in July 2017. That is how remote it is here.
Comments
Vessel Name: Ubiquity
Vessel Make/Model: Pacific Seacraft 34 sailboat, 1987, hull #67
Hailing Port: Portland, Oregon
Crew: Brian Stipak, Leslie Sawyer, sometimes others
About:
Captain Brian Stipak typically sails with one additional crew member aboard, most commonly Leslie Sawyer. Leslie is an experienced sailor, and she sailed on most of S/V Ubiquity's 2013 Vancouver Island circumnavigation and the 2015 Haida Gwaii cruise. [...]
Home Page: http://web.pdx.edu/~stipakb/Ubiquity-Cruising.html
Social:
Ubiquity's Photos - Main
Marina Los Cabos in San Jose del Cabo, Sailing west of Cabo Falso, Canal de Cerrlavo, Playa Bonanza, La Paz, loading S/V Ubiquity on freighter
88 Photos
Created 25 April 2018
Shows the “ghost town” of empty boulevards built by the government in Puerto Escondido, ashore on Isla San Juan, sailing south to La Paz, and several photos in La Paz, March 2018.
55 Photos
Created 23 March 2018
Santa Rosalia, Whale Watching, Isla Carmen including the Abandoned Salt Mine and Town at Salinas, March 2018
116 Photos
Created 20 March 2018
Midriff Islands, and the Bahia de Los Angeles area
48 Photos
Created 19 March 2018
Marina San Carlos, Marina Seca, Exploring the San Carlos Area, 2017, 2018
41 Photos
Created 19 February 2018
Cruising north in the Sea of Cortez from La Paz to Santa Rosalia. Then crossing the Sea to Bahia San Pedro, before arriving at Marina San Carlos, north of Guaymus, Sonora, Mexico. We hauled S/V Ubiquity at San Carlos for storage at the Marina Seca on-land storage facility for the summer.
119 Photos
Created 24 August 2017
Cruising in the La Paz area, Spring 2017. El Cardoncito, San Evaristo, Isle San Francisco, Playa Bonanza
94 Photos
Created 3 April 2017
34 Photos
Created 13 January 2017
13 Photos
Created 8 January 2017
October 7-9, 2016 get-together of friends in Cathlamet, Washinton. Photos show the kids in the group having fun.
6 Photos
Created 13 October 2016