Bookmark and Share
Up the Bay
10/07/2009, Annapolis

The trip up the Delaware was no fun. Foul current, head winds and large short chop made for a long day. By late afternoon we decided to make the run down the C&D canal and find someplace to stay on the other side. It was a welcomed relief to have some flat water. Almost near the end of the canal we stopped for the night in Chesapeake City. A small boat basin there provided a great place to get 11 hours of uninterrupted sleep. The run down the coast and up the bay took almost 32 hours with very little sleep with just a catnap here and there. I have to tell you, it's sure different being captain than crew.
Speaking of crew, Don and Edward did an excellent job. It was a tough night and a long slog..... and as usual my boat always sails faster with Don pulling the strings. Great crew, Great company.

It's easy... down the Jersey coast -turn right at Cape May
10/05/2009, Up Delaware Bay

We left the 79th Boat Basin in New york at 10:05 Sunday morning with Don K. and Edward T. aboard. A bright sunny day with the promise of a NW to West wind 10 to 15 kts. We left at the right time to get a favorable current down the Hudson River. About the only thing that happened as planned was the favorable current. We we're motoring along at better than 8.5 kts enough with the South wind, way past Sandy Hook NJ. Although, as we past under the Varrazono Bridge the fog rolled in. Pea soup thick fog. Right as we entered the main shipping channel, the engine just turned off. At about the same time a very larger tanker past close enough to be able to read the small print on his bow. While I was trying to figure out what happened, Don and Edward put up some sail to get us out of the shipping channel. Turns out the ignition switch failed and stopped the engine. With that repaired we once again were motoring. We motored against a South wind ALL day until night fall when the wind finally turned west. We were able to sail until dawn with a reefed main and reefed Jib as the winds were between 18 - 22 knts all night. We spend the night dodging ships, fishing boats, other sailboats, tugs towing, tugs pushing..... Finally rounded Cape May around 8:30 AM. It took awhile to make the turn North as there were large breaking seas. It was more like Lake Ontario except for the salt. We're now motoring again a Strong north wind and an unfavorable tide...... Oh well..... Note to self: Make sure galley cupboards are secured before getting underway or tacking in a seaway, It will save on the dish expenses. Also note to self: Big difference in rain or hose water to check for leaking boat than green ocean water.....mmmmmm?

alan and crew


Beckie in the Big Apple

09/29/2009 | Mom
if you can try to get to Lincoln Center, where the Met Opera House, Carnige Hall & Etc
10/03/2009 | Paul B
You carrying spare sails? Just curious. I often wonder if cruisers carry a spare main and genny.
I was just thinking about where the hell I would store them.
No spot signal?

Newer ]  |  [ Older ]


Powered by SailBlogs