Bookmark and Share
We're outta here
10/31/2009, At Sea

Dawn came and we went. I couldn't come up with any more excuses not to leave. We left the dock at around 7:15 this morning.heading toward the Chesapeake Bay Bridge with clear sunny skies. About 15 knots of wind from the south. Sailing along at 6.7 knots. Everyone is settling into their routines aboard ship. We are about 35 miles from the Bay at this point. more to follow alan

11/01/2009 | Captn Ron
Safe travels Captian Al.
It's Show Time
10/30/2009, Norkfolk Va

The forecaster told us to leave tomorrow or be stuck here til Thursday. So we ran around all day and stashed and stowed. The boat is ready. We're ready. The crew is here and taking their last showers for a while. Actually there out buying fiber pills
If we leave tomorrow and stay ahead of this front coming through, we'll have southerly winds 10 to 20 crossing the Gulf Stream. We need to be in and almost out of the stream by Sunday afternoon. 120 miles out to the edge of the stream and 72 miles across it.
Everything Ive been planning for all these years is starting in a few hours.
Stay tuned.
It's show time

Learning my lessons
10/29/2009, Little Creek

My dock mates for the last week have been 2 Valiant 40's. Both boats have done circumnavigations. One has done it twice. Scott and Kittie have been mentioned numerous times by Beth and Evans. Scott has authored articles on downwind sailing with twin poles and has done many single handed trips to Bermuda. So there is a wealth of information on my doorstep. I am all ears.
It was interesting to have dinner aboard and listening to the 3 of them talk about all the places they've been and the people they've met along the way.
As for the weather, that's another story. Looks like we may be here til Wednesday. Not a very favorable forecast for crossing the Gulf Stream.
If we leave on Sunday as planned, we'll be 150 miles offshore, just entering the Gulf Stream when a cold front passes Monday afternoon into Tues. Bringing N to NE winds in the 20s. The rule of thumb is not to be crossing the stream when there is an N in the wind. Strong winds against a strong current make for an uncomfortable ride .

Have to wait until tomorrow to see what the experts say.

Newer ]  |  [ Older ]


Powered by SailBlogs