Bookmark and Share
Soufriere Bay, St. Lucia
02/20/2010, Soufriere Bay, St. Lucia

I left Bequia this morning at 6:30 for the start of the long trek home.
For the first time, there was no wind, nothing, flat as* calm, less than 5 knots. Never seen it like that here. I had to motored the first 4 hours. The wind finally picked up about half way up St. Vincent. After the wind filled in I was able to sail the last 30 miles or so. In between St Vincent and St. Lucia I had a reefed main and a full genoa up and I doing speeds of over 9 knots, swells and waves to 6-8 feet. Must have had a little current there, but it usually sets to the west and not to the north.
But what a ride.
I am currently tied to a mooring in Soufriere Bay. I have a few days to kill before I need to be in Rodney Bay and this looked like a good place to crash.
The pictures I take could never do it justice so GOOGLE: The Pitons of St Lucia. I am moored in the shadow of these things...... nice view!

1/2 way
02/19/2010, Bequia,SVG

Alexa left yesterday. I hope she had a good time, I know I did.
Spent the day doing some shopping ,laundry and preparing to leave tomorrow.
I will be heading to St Lucia to meet my brother Charlie. He will be here for 2 weeks and plans are to sail up to St Maartin.

Interesting notes:
Since the start of Sept 2009 I have traveled about 2500 miles
Since leaving Norfolk I have been tied to a dock 11 nights out of a possible 112. (if you want to call the 8 nights in Bermuda a dock)
Since leaving Norfolk I have been plugged in once (not counting the Cat in Bermuda.)
Since leaving Sodus Bay I have used 360 gallons of fuel
Since leaving Sodus Bay I have put on 362 hours on the engine (motoring and power/water generation)
My furthest point south was 12 31.40 N (Petite Martinique, which is part of the Grenada)
Time to head North (but not too fast)

The Old man and the Sea
02/17/2010, Bequia

The Old Man and the Sea
Last night we spent the night in Chatham Bay and had a rather good time making friends at Vanessa's, one of the bars on the beach (and when I say bar I mean shack that dispenses alcohol and has picnic tables to sit at). After a lively conversation with a German couple about how "courteous" the french sailors are, we were getting ready to leave when a family stopped us and asked if my dad's shirt was refering to the bars of Kingston Jamaca or Kingston Ontario. It turns out the family was from Toronto and two of the kids go to Queens College in Kingston. We discussed important topics such as eating lunch at Stoney's and the sad decline of White Mountain Ice Cream. And making a small world even smaller I had actually met one of their best friends only a week earlier in Chicago. Later on we joined with some of the locals and our German friends for a party on the beach where I drummed and sang Bob Marley tunes with one of the Rastafarians.
The entire time I have been here Dad has been very good about letting me sleep in. Today however he woke me up at 6:30am so we could start our sail to Bequia early. We would have had to return to Bequia today anyway because I am flying home tomorrow, but we wanted to get here by noon so that we could see the turtle sanctuary. We ended up making recod time, sailing at 7.5 knots at one point, and made it from Chatham Bay, Union Island to Admrialty Bay, Bequia in 4 hours.
The Old Hegg Turtle Sanctuary is on the windward side of the island so we had to take a taxi to get there. On a side note, taxis here are nothing like what I'm used to in Chicago. They are all Nissan pickup trucks that have benches built into the bed of the truck with a canves canopy overhead. Oh, and they all have names painted up them like Passion, Mr. Wonderful, Pick u Up, ect. When you take a ride in a taxi here it is not simply just a ride, the drivers also like to play tour guide pointing out interesting sites and giving you the history of the Island.
The Old Hegg Turtle Sancuary was started by "Brother" King in 1995 to save the sea turtles in the area from going extinct. Infant tutles are brought into the sancuary soon after they hatch (they are actually caght by putting a tire around the nest) and are kept there for about 4 or 5 years until they are strong enough to survive in the wild. Without the help of the sancuary only 1 in 3000 baby sea turtles survive. It is basically a Neonatal ICU for turtles. Just like I take care of human babies to small to survive on their own Brother King does the same thing for the sea turtles. And just like premature babies have a lot of spunk and personality so do the sea turtles and they very much enjoy being tickled. They can actually feel the top of their shells and when you stroke the shell it tickles them. We shot a video of this hopefully it will be posted soon.
It was a great last day in the Caribbean for me and I think the Old Man enjoyed riding around on land for once.
Lucky (Alexa)

02/17/2010 | Beckie
Sounds like you and your Dad had a fantastic time. You'll surely miss it when you head back to Chicago.
02/18/2010 | adam
Looks like fun. I'm jealous and freezing my ass off up here in rochester. Wedding plans going well. Can't wait to see you guys soon.Hope all is well. Enjoy. We need to get down there one of these days.

Newer ]  |  [ Older ]


Powered by SailBlogs